Community Spotlight : Escapist Badge Hunters

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
Community Spotlight : Escapist Badge Hunters

[HEADING=3]Badges.[/HEADING]

Whether you see them as a status symbol, a chronicle of personal achievement or just a flashy way to rep your own personal style, you've got to admit that they're a big deal around The Escapist. With that in mind, we'd like to take a minute to call out the Escapist Badge Hunters group, a merry band of friends that have dedicated their time on-site to seeking out and cataloguing the wealth of badges floating around out there in the Escapist ether.

We sat down with the group's current leader, [user]Zombie_Fish[/user], hoping to gain some insight about what it is that makes this user group tick. Here's what he had to say:

Who are the Escapist Badge Hunters, and how did they come to be?

You know those guys who try and get every single achievement in a game regardless of how ludicrous and impossible it seems? We're The Escapist's equivalent of those guys. As a community we:

Assist in figuring out how to earn certain badges. One example of this is the DDKR Champion badge, which was figured out after much organisation by SirBryghtside and help from many community members watching various episodes of The Escapist Show to see who got the badge.

Help users obtain badges, through displaying the badges and how to get them in the <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.282858>Escapist Badge Gallery, giving more clues or advice on how to obtain badges, or even helping directly by <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.84454?page=9#1654678>befriending others or organising battles in Genre Wars together back when it existed.

And finally, we also just talk about badges: Ones we want, ones we're proud of etc.

As for how we began? Well, badges themselves have been around since the original Badge Gallery. Back then the gallery was a guide, the idea being that it was where anyone could go to get advice for any badges either from the thread itself or from its regulars.

After user groups were first introduced to the site, Nivag created the banners and stuff at that time.

What role do you play in the Badge Hunters community, and how did that begin?

I am the owner and manager of the Escapist Badge Hunters (unofficially called the Head o'Hunters). My job is to keep the gallery maintained as new badges come in and other badges expire and also to keep the user group under control, though the latter is rarely required.

Shortly after the group started Nivag decided to ask some people to become admins so that he wasn't the only one announcing badges. Because I was fairly regular at the time he asked me if I was interested, and I was the second member to be made an admin (the first one eventually left). As time went on Nivag was becoming busier and busier in real life, and eventually he asked us admins for someone to take over as group owner. I was already doing a lot with the site as I was still a moderator back then so I told him I was interested. I became owner in January 2011 and the new gallery was made in May 2011 after I left the moderation team and could no longer simply edit the original gallery.

How has the user group changed since it was first started?

We have become a smaller group of regular visitors nowadays. We did have a massive surge of members shortly after forming as we were the Featured User Group for quite some time (this was before the Featured User Group articles started, so I can't back this up with a link). This placed us in the top ten groups with most members, but it has since then turned mainly to surges of activity on Mondays when the weekly quiz badges come about. Saying that however, everything can change between this featured article and all the new XCOM game badges.

<spoiler=Other Admin Responses>
Apart from the changes in administration, there's been a big shift from working out what badges are awarded for to mostly just cataloging them. It's always a lot of fun when we do get a big mystery come up, though - I still have no idea how to get 'Lol... wut?'.

It doesn't seem to have changed much since I got here. The 2 biggest changes were probably the change of ownership and the new badge page.

I don't know if I've noticed all the changes, but I know that improvements have been made as we figure out what works and what doesn't, or what's the best way to update the group.

To be honest, I wasn't around when it first started because I joined late 2010 but of course I got to talk to [user]Nivag the Owl[/user] some time ago about how this Group came to be. Here's what he PMed me:

Nivag the Owl said:
I basically just don't have the time to be an active forum user any more, let alone maintain the Badge Hunters. As such I handed the group and the gallery over to good ol' Zombie as he was my most reliable hunter at the time, and I didn't want our work to just die.

The origin of the gallery is quite boring really. It was basically along the lines of me thinking the forum badges were cool and compiling a list of the ones I could find. It started off with about 30-odd badges listed in alphabetical order.

I thought it died then and there as nobody posted. Then out of the blue a few months later there were a few posts about badges I'd missed so I put some more effort into it with categorisation and images and such. Since then it's just been getting bigger and bigger.

When user-groups were implemented onto the website it seemed like a great opportunity to be a place where we could announce new badges and serve as a more private place to talk about them. A ton of badges started coming out at the same time so this is also the time I took on some trusty volunteers to be badge hunters with privileges to post news themselves.

Since then I basically got both lazier and busier simultaneously over time and it just got to the point where I couldn't be reliable any more. Soooo now it's Zombies.

Um... I wrote one of the quizzes. That's about it really.

But anyway! Like I say, I'll never be truly gone!
He has my thanks for starting this Group up. :}

What do you like so much about Escapist Badges?

I personally like them as a record of what I have accomplished on this site. After three years it's hard to remember everything you have done as part of a userbase, and badges are a way of remembering and showcasing some of the things I'm proud of having accomplished.

The idea of them is very interesting from a philosophical perspective, as they throw into question the very definition of a 'game' - if it has achievements, is The Escapist itself a game? If not, how can you define a game while excluding this website? But if it is, and you class video games as art, does that mean this site is art as well?

In other words, it's because they're shiny.

I like finding a new badge and having to figure out how to earn it.

That there are so many of them in such variety. They challenge me to look at all aspects of The Escapist, and then once I do I find that there are more and more things about this site that I love. I first came for Yahtzee, but I stayed for all of what this site has to offer, largely because of the badges. Earning them is fun!

Even though most people like collecting Badges to feel accomplished accomplished which is perfectly fine because I do it too- The Escapist Badges are more then just getting achievements to me. They represent who I am as a gamer and I really love the meaning behind each Badge. Like for example, this Badge:

Space Zombie
In space, no one can hear you munch on brains.
People may see this as just another Badge result in the 'Which Type of Zombie Are You?' Quiz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.389800-Which-Type-of-Zombie-Are-You], but to me... it's showing my love for Dead Space since I am a huge fan of the series. The Staff has made badges that reflect what we gamers have grown up with, came to appreciate and now have them with us through humorous or catchy Badges in our galleries.

What are some of the group's favorite Badges?

The group is often quite fond of the more mysterious badges. The OMG Pony!1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.84454-The-Escapist-Forum-Badge-Gallery-WE-HAVE-MOVED#1321017] badge and the DDKR [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.84454-The-Escapist-Forum-Badge-Gallery-WE-HAVE-MOVED?page=16#1841771] badges were good early examples of this, and we still see it with The Beard Badge [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/badges/32/634c8505eee9c3fadab53c47ee48fb22.png], Lol... wut? [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/badges/32/6c9e972ebd85863a7eb70a9c70e58b1b.png] (one of the very few badges which the Hunters never worked out) and, of course, Rainbow Powah! [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/badges/32/0e534220d2f60f180894d763efa8577b.png].

'Thanks!' tops the list for obvious reasons (including the fact that I have it), but I really like any badge such as 'Forum Inferno', 'Real Ultimate Poster' and 'Landmark' for which you need to give a real contribution to the community.

Aside from the obvious answer (April's Fool), I'd say any that are from games/movies/etc that I like are always welcome.

I would say the ones that take some effort into getting. The rare ones.

As far as I know, I've see a lot of users in the Group express their passion for the Real Ultimate Poster Badge, the Landmark Badge, and the Forum Inferno Badge. Pretty much implies that we like to work hard for our Badges because they're so rewarding if not satisfying with the meaning behind those Badges.

The Escapist Badge Hunters are the crew of a pirate ship. Describe some of your journey to us.

<url=http://s12.postimage.org/5ddf6p1x7/IMG_20121004_234618.jpg>*puts on conveniently placed scarf as a pirate bandana*

Hehe, my phone camera is terrible.

We are the finest treasure hunters you have ever seen travel the high seas! No map is too complicated, no puzzle too confusing and no film reference used as a clue too obscure for our men to crack.

We travel anywhere and everywhere. No matter where the waters take us, we take all the gold we can lay our hands on, and even help others find their precious booty. As long as we get a share of the takings, of course.

Now, I'm afraid we must be off. The wind is calling us.

First mate Bryghtside, take the wheel! AwesomeExpress, ready the cannon! Frappe and oppp7 man the rigging! Onward ho!

*takes off bandana*

So yeah, kind of like that.

What are some badges that you'd like to see more of?

I would personally like to see more badges about featured content by members of the community. Since we haven't had <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/letters>Letters to the Editor and guest reviews for over a year and things like the <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/rp-digest>RP Digest haven't been around for even longer (though I do know why the RP Digest stopped), it feels like the site isn't taking advantage of some of the brilliant writers in the community as much as it used to. That is already kind of changing with the featured user review on the My Escapist page, but I do think badges would also work as a good incentive to get people to write more high quality content with the push that an achievement would come as a result of it.

Ones with Felicia Day on, preferably unique and given to me.

[sub]Please?[/sub]

I'd like to see more combo badges, like Landslide. Or joke badges.

As much as I like the personality quiz badges, I like those other badges that are for my contribution to the site a little more. Or for playing a game like XCOM or maybe some kind of scavenger hunt badge!

Not going to lie- I would love to see more Forum Badges, like a Badge that's given for users who've posted over 10,000 posts. But you know, these Quiz Badges have been such a treat that it really wouldn't matter. I love them all and continue to enjoy obtaining the Badges along with seeing which reflects me the most.

However it's always nice to try winning Contest Badges that are based off competitions or particular events. More of those would definitely do wonders for the community, I love those especially when everyone who participates gets one for getting on the Leaderboard.

Users featured in this article: [user]Zombie_Fish[/user], [user]SirBryghtside[/user], [user]Nivag the Owl[/user], [user]oppp7[/user], [user]AwesomeExpress[/user], [user]Caramel Frappe[/user].
Image: goth-stock.

If you would like to nominate someone for an upcoming Community Spotlight, feel free to let me, [user]Nasrin[/user], know through a PM or by posting in the user group! When nominating, please tell us why this user deserves to be in the next Community Spotlight and provide links if possible.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
You always need another badge. You can't have just one and there is always another one you want to get. Then you have the hard choice of your top 5 badges and top 21. It's all very important stuff!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I really only want one badge and that's the "posted in 36 different months one"
Otherwise badgeing isn't really my thing but of course it's always nice when you find out you've gotten a new one.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it! Kudos to you guys!

I like how the admins got to put in their 2 cents on many of the questions. It was a nice touch!

That is already kind of changing with the featured user review on the My Escapist page, but I do think badges would also work as a good incentive to get people to write more high quality content with the push that an achievement would come as a result of it.
I agree... and that's not just because I wouldn't mind a cool badge like that myself!

XD

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I agree with Caramel, it'd be nice to have a few more community-oriented badges... generally I don't pay much attention to badges but I do like the ones to do with posting or friends.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Good to see you on the site again if only to promote your group. As for badge hunting, never really got into it but I can see the appeal.

I agree with the statement that we need more writing based badges again. Such as the RP Digest badge. Which I still totally have on my line and will not take off

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Cheers to Nasrin for going through with this. It was a nice thing to put together for the group and I do appreciate us getting some more publicity.

Fappy said:
I like how the admins got to put in their 2 cents on many of the questions. It was a nice touch!
I suggested it to Nasrin since Kuliani and Spinwhiz used to just ask all the admins every question. Plus some of the questions were more personal, so it was better to get a few responses for those ones.

TimeLord said:
You always need another badge. You can't have just one and there is always another one you want to get. Then you have the hard choice of your top 5 badges and top 21. It's all very important stuff!
Nivag used to have his top 21 badges colour co-ordinated so that they were rainbows. I haven't seen an ordering top that yet.

TopazFusion said:
I agree that, since the "Long-Time Listener, First-Time Caller" badge is unavailable, there should be a similar badge for people (or group owners) chosen to be spotlight'd.
I agree with this idea from an entirely non-biased position. >.> <.<

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Awesome! As a new member to the site, I'm trying to collect badges when I can. I'm definitely joining this group.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The Badge Hunters group was the eighth group I joined on the site and it has always been a nice place to catch up with the new shiny things the staff puts on the site for us to fight over collect.

I'm fairly confident my top 21 won't move from where it is at right now but you never know when a new badge shows up that means something to you.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
... I DARE you to do this on the MLP group. I want to see if Urgh lies through his teeth or is completely honest on the batshit insane stuff that happens there. XD

Also I guess I shall join this group.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Haha! That is awesome!

I refer to the forum gallery once in a while to plan badge to 5's, and to see how far I am away from some! :p

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
What a pleasant surprise! I was wondering when a non-single member will get the spotlight.

Badge hunting isn't really my thing, but congrats still to all the regulars in the Badge Hunters group!

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
Oh yeah! I agree with everything that AwesomeExpress said, he's a brilliant fellow!

Also, I think it's fitting that this topic came into the Community Spotlight since we feel like we're contributing to the Escapist community. Thanks for taking the time to make this article, Nasrin!