EA Founder: Consoles Will Become Niche

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
EA Founder: Consoles Will Become Niche

Trip Hawkins compares hardcore gaming to owning a plane.

While game sales are down across the board, which is either down to an aging console generation or the implosion of the global economy depending on who you ask, the industry is still growing at a phenomenal rate. A series of reports from DFC Intelligence reckon the global market for games will grow from $67 billion in 2012 to $82 billion in 2017. Despite that growth, EA founder Trip Hawkins thinks the console dominated era may be drawing to a close.

"The console market is always going to be with us, because there's always going to be a hardcore segment, a segment that likes innovation," Hawkins said. "But it's going to become a smaller market, and it's going to be more like a hobby market."

Hawkins founded EA after leaving Apple in '82, which he then left to form 3DO in '91.

"You look at airplanes," he added. "Most of us just want to be a passenger, but there's a hobby market for people who are really into aviation and want to take flying lessons and maybe someday have their own airplane. I think that's what's happening to the console market."

Now, the word "hardcore" is fairly nebulous, and there's still debate as to whether casual games will erode the core gaming market or enhance it, but Hawkins does have a point. In 2008, consoles were the driving force of the industry, pulling in nearly twice the revenue of the PC game market. That lead is shrinking - console game sales wax and wane with hardware cycles, but the PC market has seen growth year over year. PC game revenue is expected to match, then beat, that of the console market in 2014.

The haughty PC gaming snob in me would love to imagine that's down to filthy console plebs developing a taste for dense, brutally difficult strategy games and high skill-ceiling shooters, but in reality, the rise of casual gaming has made a huge contribution to the platform's popularity.

"In the old days I'd go down to the basement to play Grand Theft Auto," Hawkins continued. "But the Facebook gamer is able to play at work, at home, in a hotel on a PC. They can get access to a browser just about anywhere. People are thinking about convenience first."

The question is: Are casual titles actively pulling users away from core gaming, or are they attracting completely new players?

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/11/ea-founder-says-consoles-are-niche]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Yes. Owning a £200 console will be like owning a £500,000-£1,000,000 jet... It will be that rare.

I'd say the fate of consoles will largely depend on how they go about the next gen. If they manage to really pull off an "all-in-one" console like Sony attempted with the PS3, then they will increase in sales and every home will probably have one.

If they fail to do that, or simply keep with what they are like now, just with better hardware, then yes, they may die out a little, but I imagine there will still be a large market for them. Gaming has never really been as popular as it has this generation.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
The PC is dead, now the console is dead. Would someone make up their mind already.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
...Is it just me or does that guy look like Arnold Schwarzenegger if he was playing Scaramanga from The Man With The Golden Gun?

Okay, that weird comparison aside, is it just me or is he saying "I think people who actually care about games as entertainment rather than a way to kill time are going to die out"?

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Ickabod said:
The PC is dead, now the console is dead. Would someone make up their mind already.
Makes sense that a number of the better games for the PC in recent years have all been about zombies...

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Yes, it will become a niche, in the same way as traditional PC genres became a niche compared to consoles.

But that's not because they are shrinking, but because new, even bigger markets are growing around them.

The hardcore PC industry has as much money and audience in it, as in the 90's. It's just that now these same few hundred thousand gamers are called a niche compared to the more casual console masses, and 2D strategy and RPG games are now called "indie", even if they were AAA when Blizzard and Bioware made them.

The same will happen to consoles. There will be an even bigger Facebook market, and the tens of millions will appear to be a niche besides it, and facebook gamers will start gaaming communities, identify their lifestyle as "gamers", and get offended at "console elitists" claiming to be more true gamers than them.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Legion said:
Yes. Owning a £200 console will be like owning a £500,000-£1,000,000 jet... It will be that rare.
This was my very first thought. He compared two things that are completely incomparable.

OT: It's interesting how he reads this. Sure, people in the future are more likely to own a smartphone or such device than they are the next XBox or Playstation, that is undeniable. But the presence of these things and the capability to play casual games on the go doesn't mean they will. I own a PS3, a pretty powerful Android phone, a powerful Android tablet, and a bad ass gaming PC. The thing I used the most to play games goes in this order:

1. PC
2. PS3
3. Android Tablet
4. Phone.

Now, three and four are so far behind the other two it's not even funny. I use my phone to send text messages, call people (I know, it's crazy), GPS on the occasion I need it and on the fly web browsing which is rare. I play games on Android tablet about 50 times more often, but that number still pales into insignificance compared to the PS3, which doesn't even rate when compared to my PC gaming habits.

I know, I'm one man. And I am not indicative of any given population just because I part of certain populations. The thing is, as an "expert" in the field, he is more likely to get things wrong compared to random chances (most experts fall into this category). It's because they have access to lots of information, it gives the illusion of having a perfect knowledge of history which gives the illusion of accurate foresight.

My favorite bit is the whole PC gaming growth evidence that is given. In 2008, the consoles were the hottest thing out there because they were still new enough they were wowing gamers. But as with any console cycle; the tech is old, everything looks dated on it and platforms that have the ability to evolve have evolved. That means yearly new phones have gotten way more powerful as compared to 2008. Also, PC's are significantly more powerful than they were 2008 and in 2008 they were way more powerful than the consoles. This guys predictions are like a big joke.

Well, I spent way too much time and thought on this, so PEACE!

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
Farmville type games are not replacing anything. The experience of TV-controller-couch is not going anywhere. The actual platform may change, ie your PC connecting to your big flat screen and handling controller support. Casual/mobile gaming will never usurp that.

HolyLiaison

Sep 30, 2010
Micah Weil said:
Makes sense that a number of the better games for the PC in recent years have all been about zombies...
Guild Wars 2? Planetside 2? Battlefield 3 (the console versions don't count)? Torchlight 2? Diablo 3? Starcraft 2? Sins of a Solar Empire? FTL? Kerbal Space Program? Tribes: Ascend? And these are just recent games. I barely tried and I could list a bunch.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
I feel like we're missing a more important talking point here. The console and PC experiences are beginning to converge.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Consoles are "hardcore"? As a PC gamer, I would laugh at the karmic schadenfreude if not for the sneaking suspicion that a decade from now Angry Birds will be considered something that only old-school grognards could enjoy.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
cidbahamut said:
I feel like we're missing a more important talking point here. The console and PC experiences are beginning to converge.
No, they are not. Console-centric games are still based on the "arcade + cinematic eye-candy" paradigm, while PC games, (both traditiona hardcore and facebook casual) are based on the "tabletop game meets utility software" paradigm.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Every few months for the last couple of decades, some idiot makes a variant of this claim (or the opposite). Somehow, neither PC gaming nor console gaming has died yet.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The guys an idiot.In the future consoles may evolve into a multi media device, but it will still be there. But no company will delete consoles unless they are loss making, but by then most people would have moved on to the next generation of tech.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
FargoDog said:
Plus, dude made the 3DO. I am not surprised he is vindictive towards the console market.
He's just pissed that his shitty console lost to the fucking Jaguar.

Yeah. That's all there is to this really. I'd like to add that I can play my DS at work but since my current job involves driving fork lift trucks in a very busy warehouse it may get me fired. Or dead.

If people didn't play games on facebook at work maybe the economy wouldn't be so shit because they'd be more fucking productive :O

Then again the rate of tax and cost of living is rising too much too fast, etc.

On topic, fuck this guy. I'd like to immediately point out that in the present he has fuck all to do with EA so you don't get free EA hate for this one, shame on you Escapist for even needing to put EA in the title of this article.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Why the hell does something have to infinitely beat something? The console wars was a stupid term made up by annoying pricks to make fun of consoles.

Can't Consoles/PC/Handhelds/iOS games all co-exist? Even the term "Hardcore" is overused as hell. Playing Call of Duty doesn't make you hardcore (Finishing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on hard your first playthrough, THAT'S FUCKING HARDCORE!)
Beat Resident Evil 4, on professional, with only your survival knife, 4 first aid kits, 5 saves, a flash grenade, 3 magnum shots and 1 RPG (you need at least that much to get through, fucking Salazar and shit..). That is hardcore. (Done it, was a brutal experience, pro-tip: flee from the iron maidens, they will beat you in melee combat every time with hugging)

Beat Viewtiful Joe on hard without using powers when not VITAL for progression, also pretty hardcore. (Not done but it was rough enough without self-imposed rules).

Beat MegaMan 2 without taking damage. Beyond hardcore. (not done, not crazy enough, have done 9 and 10 without a death though)

=D