Lego Man Jumps From Not-Quite-the-Edge of Space

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lego Man Jumps From Not-Quite-the-Edge of Space

Felix Baumgartner's record-breaking "space jump" has been gloriously recreated in Lego.

Did you watch the space jump [http://www.redbullstratos.com/] yesterday? It was an astonishing achievement, combining technology, courage and the innate human drive to explore and test our limits. It made for compelling viewing; all activity near the monitor I had it playing on came to a halt as people gathered around to watch.

But for straight-up entertainment value, I'm not sure it can compete with this slightly smaller-scale jump that ends somewhat less gracefully but, in the end, just as successfully. It was created to promote the upcoming Vienna Model Maker's fair, and it is wonderful. All the elements of Baumgartner's feat are here, culminating in a giant faceplant for Lego-kind. And is it just my imagination, or is the minifig at the four second mark packing a blaster?

To whoever made this video: I salute you. You may not have jumped from 128,000 feet in the air, but you did the next best thing. You made an awesome video and you put it on the internet.

Technology. Humanity. Lego. Let us never stop pushing the boundaries.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Go, minifig, GO! I love that this happens in the world. We take something as immemorial as the Stratos jump, and we celebrate it with Legos. Wonderful.

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
Korak the Mad said:
Everything is funnier (or better) when it's done with LEGOs.
Or if Yakety Sax is played as the backing music.

(Congrats, Felix.)

(I am going to hell for laughing at Yakety Sax being played as the soundtrack to Passion of the Christ.)

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Now he gets to go home, put on a ninja mask, and ride on his train-boat full flatchested pirate and starwars women. I envy him, i really do.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
BehattedWanderer said:
Go, minifig, GO! I love that this happens in the world. We take something as immemorial as the Stratos jump, and we celebrate it with Legos. Wonderful.
you said it.