Update: Project Eternity Sets Record as Most Funded Videogame

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Update: Project Eternity Sets Record as Most Funded Videogame

Obisidian's fantasy RPG overtakes Double Fine Adventure's funding total with hours (and a stretch goal) left to spare.

When Obsidian announced Project Eternity with promises of old school isometric RPG gameplay in the same vein as Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment, the floodgates opened. The game reached its initial funding goal of $1.1 million within 24 hours [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119618-Obsidians-Project-Eternity-Hits-1-4-Million-in-Three-Days]. Today, Project Eternity has achieved a new goal - it is now officially Kickstarter's most-funded videogame.

The claim for the most money raised was previously held by Tim Schafer's Double Fine Adventure, which managed to amass $3,336,371 in just over a month. As of writing, Project Eternity edges past with $3,432,157, backed by more than 66,000 sponsors, and with 14 hours to go.

The project has had no problem accomplishing its 12 additional stretch goals in the past few weeks. As a result, backers will be rewarded with additional races, classes, regions, factions, language translations, player houses and strongholds. The game also features a "mega dungeon" that has since grown to 10 levels, with more levels unlocked for every 2,500 backers to the project.

That's a fair amount of content, but there are still additional funding tiers to be met. The next stretch goal reward will be "Big Big City 2", similar in size to Baldur's Gate and Athkatla from Dungeons & Dragons, as long as the project's funds reach $3.5 million (which, at this rate, is not entirely out of the question).

Obsidian revealed Project Eternity on Kickstarter back in September this year, claiming that it has been "almost impossible" to achieve funding for the game through traditional means.

Source & Image: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity?ref=live]

Update: Project Eternity has since passed its $3.5 million goal, finishing at $3,986,929 in Kickstarter pledges alone. As a result, "Big Big City 2" will be included as part of the game's finished content.

Also, the article previously mentioned that the game broke the $1 million mark in a matter of days; it was actually done in less time that that. Apologies for the error.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Will be looking forward to seeing if this game turns out to be as buggy as every other game they've made.

Obsidian('s fans) will have no excuses this time.

lolobar

May 24, 2010
I'm really happy for them. They really deserve this chance. I believe Obsidian are an old school team trapped in a new "publisher" world.

The Obsidian team members came from a time when the game industry philosophy was "by gamers for gamers"... and now they are trapped in a game industry that has the philosophy "by investors for money".

I'm really glad that they have a chance to realize their vision and at the same time prove that the new way of the game industry is not actually better.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I called it. I said they would break the record and that they would get funded within a day.

I hope the game turns out good. Would be a shame for future Kickstarter projects if this one failed...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Nenad said:
backers
$3,466,557
pledged of $1,100,000 goal
hours to go

I think they've run out of stretch goals.

Edit: Big city goal is confirmed.

Well I don't like announcing achieves until I see it on KS (we'll apply PP $ to final totals) but uhhh, it's hard not to say... BBC2 IS IN!

— Obsidian (@Obsidian) October 16, 2012 [https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/258117224504639489]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mr Cwtchy said:
Will be looking forward to seeing if this game turns out to be as buggy as every other game they've made.

Dungeon Siege 3 was about as bug free as you could get without being Blizzard or Valve levels of playtesting.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Mkay so the reached everything. Congratulations I suppose...
Lets see what comes of it since this time they have no excuse for delivering a buggy shitfest, right?
I of course did not pledge anything. Afaik they did not show any gameplay concept so they can bugger off.

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
Mr Cwtchy said:

Bugs are part of the experience. :p

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Timothy Chang said:
reached its initial funding goal within 24 hours and broke through the $1 million barrier in a matter of days.
This is wrong. Its initial funding goal was 1.1 million dollars, so it broke 1 million dollars BEFORE it reached it's funding goal - which it reached in 24 hours, you're correct on that point. Saying that it broke 1 million in a matter of days is incorrect, however, since it broke 1 million in almost exactly one day.

Anyway...

OT: Yay! Take that Double Fine!

What? I don't like Point-and-Click games. I really, really like Isometric Partybased RPGs like Planescape: Torment and BG 1 and 2. As a backer, I am very excited for Eternity, whereas I wasn't for DF. Also, I'm really sick of DF's Kickstarter being the example that everyone holds up.

Now Obsidian gets that honor. That makes me happy. ^^

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
Now Oblivion gets that honor. That makes me happy. ^^
Why does Oblivion need a kickstarter? I thought it came out in like 2005 :p

OT: Super excited about this game, so glad they got their 3.5mill and are still zooming past it!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Awesome. I've never played any old isometric rpgs beyond the Fallout games but I loved them and I loved what Obsidian did in New Vegas so I'm really excited what Chris & Co can do when they can have complete free reign on the project.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Holy crap there's gonna be a lot of content packed into this now. I really hope Obsidian can deliver on it's immense potential.

I can't wait! =D