Send Postcards to Imprisoned Arma Devs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Send Postcards to Imprisoned Arma Devs

The Arma community has launched a new website allowing gamers to show their support for the Arma 3 developers imprisoned for espionage.

Bohemia Interactive developers Martin Pezlar and Ivan Buchta have spent more than a month in a Greek prison facing accusations of espionage arising from their recent trip to the island of Limnos. That's bad enough, but worse is the fact that they could be stuck there for a long while yet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120111-Greek-Turmoil-Delays-Bohemia-Interactive-Spy-Trials] before their case moves forward thanks to the general strike currently gripping Greece.

There's really nothing of practical value that can be done for them right now, so instead members of the community have launched a "Send Ivan and Martin a postcard" campaign. Just go to the site, select an image or upload your own, fill out your name and a brief message and then click the "send" button. It's not exactly brain surgery, folks.

Each submitted postcard will be printed and sent to the imprisoned duo, although limits to the amount of mail that prisoners can receive means that only a certain number of postcards will be sent each week. Once they're free, all the cards, even the ones that have already been sent, will be printed and sent to them in a single, hopefully-huge batch.

It's a purely symbolic gesture but there's really nothing else to be done, and at this point just reminding Martin and Ivan that they have supporters behind their cause has to have some value. You can do your part to help keep a couple of guys from going nuts inside a Greek prison at postcard.helpivanmartin.org [http://postcard.helpivanmartin.org/].

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I hope this gets sorted soon, I can't imagine what it must be like to be trapped in a place like prison where you don't even understand what people are saying (I assume their not fluent).

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well, i sent a postcard with a bunny on it.

And damn proud of it.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Nice gesture this sure is and I will definitely send a postcard to citizens of my country but I have to say that the way they got them-selfs in prison was quite dumb. If you want to get some info about military bases, there are sure better ways than snooping around and not telling anyone. They might have been shot if there was some trigger happy guard!
Well, here's to them getting home soon.

Edit: Well now, after reading their side of the story and disregarding what most media led me to believe (never trust the mass media!), seem all that is just some bad luck and maybe political shenangians.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
dangoball said:
Edit: Well now, after reading their side of the story and disregarding what most media led me to believe (never trust the mass media!), seem all that is just some bad luck and maybe political shenangians.
Yeah, I have had to go through these threads quite a few times because of what people were led to believe and what actually happened, but that's journalism I guess, it's all about the sensationalism of it.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
connall said:
dangoball said:
Yeah, I have had to go through these threads quite a few times because of what people were led to believe and what actually happened, but that's journalism I guess, it's all about the sensationalism of it.
Journalism indeed. However I'm somewhat relieved because now it seems that said situation is the result of governments stupidity and not individual stupidity, if that makes any sense.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
In Greece, do you have a right to a speedy trial? I rather not see the devs be stuck in prison for life as their trial is "pending."

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hey guys, one of the people behind the site clarified to me that helpivanmartin.org is not actually a Bohemia Interactive initiative at all, but is being run by fans - specifically Sickboy, w0lle and Jerry Hopper. So thanks and best of luck to them, and apologies for any confusion.

SenorNemo

Mar 14, 2011
If you're curious, the Japanese in the picture says "we the Arma 2 players of Japan are wishing for the release of Ivan and Martin!"

Interesting stuff.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Man the Canadian prisons are kinda bad. I don't want to think what a Greek one would be like.

I wish them the best of luck in getting the hell out of that country.

TheScottishFella

Nov 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Just be glad you didn't watch a play about gay Jesus.
connall said:
dangoball said:
So what DID actually happen then?
They took some photos in a civilian area however, one of their photos had a military structure in the background.

Again I refer people to this article when talking about Greece and "spying":
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1697862.stm

TheScottishFella

Nov 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
connall said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Just be glad you didn't watch a play about gay Jesus.
connall said:
dangoball said:
-snip snip-
So it wasn't even trespassing?
Yep this is the Fascists' work alright.
No it wasn't trespass, the media heard they had been arrested and made the assumption that they were trespassing. That was then disproved.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
So has Greece basically been turned into a third-world country at this point? Economic collapse is one thing, but it sounds like they're facing a collapse of their government as well, especially if their entire legal system has been shut down.