Kixeye CEO Trash-Talks Zynga Lawsuit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kixeye CEO Trash-Talks Zynga Lawsuit

Kixeye honcho Will Harbin says Zynga is "burning to the ground" and has nothing his company would be interested in stealing.

Zynga launched a lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120129-Zynga-Sues-Former-CityVille-GM] against the former general manager of CityVille earlier this week, alleging that he stole numerous high-value trade secrets before leaving the company to go work for rival casual game maker Kixeye. A judge approved Zynga's request for a temporary restraining order against Alan Patmore and "anyone acting in concert with him" yesterday, preventing him and Kixeye from making use of the data, and also approved a forensic examination of his computers and Dropbox account.

In response to the ruling, Kixeye CEO Will Harbin issued a statement making the not-entirely-invalid point that, given Zynga's current straits, it's not really the sort of company that competitors would want to steal from anyway. "Zynga is burning to the ground and bleeding top talent and instead of trying to fix the problems - better work environment and better products - they are resorting to the only profit center that has ever really worked for them: their legal department," he said. "It is simply another case of Zynga vindictively persecuting a former employee as an individual."

"Given their financial situation it all feels pretty desperate," he continued. "Our games have little in common with the ones that Zynga is known for. We make synchronous, combat strategy games. They make asynchronous cow clicking games. We have two of the top seven highest grossing games on Facebook. Why on earth would we want to emulate a business that has seen a 75 percent decline in share price since their debut? According to their S1 their games average $.06 ARPDAU [average revenue per daily active user]. Our games generate up to 20 times that. You do the math."

In my mind, Harbin then dropped his microphone, turned, and strode off the stage.

It's pretty easy for competing game studios to talk smack about Zynga these days. The company's third quarter financial results were another disappointment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119992-Zynga-Stock-Price-Tanks-After-Disappointing-Third-Quarter], its stock is still in the tank and analysts warned earlier this month that it may never bounce back. Even so, while Harbin was dropping his bomb, Zynga Deputy General Counsel Jay Monahan expressed satisfaction with the ruling.

"Patmore does not dispute that he took 763 files from Zynga, which contained confidential game designs from teams around the company, and that he transferred those files to his computer at Kixeye where he's currently the VP of Product," he said. "We are pleased with the judge's decision and will continue to work to protect the ideas and assets of our employees."

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/16/in-midst-of-employee-theft-lawsuit-kixeye-ceo-takes-a-blast-at-zynga/]

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Why do I draw the comparison between Zynga's legal department and the Wesboro Baptist Church's legal team as the only thin either has that generates money?

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
So, this guy stole from Zynga who in turn stole from EA. Fully scummy circle then :)

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
In my mind, Harbin then dropped his microphone, turned, and strode off the stage.

This image is all that came to mind after I read that.

OT: Zynga really does seem to be grasping at straws now, which I'm not upset with. Whether the theft is true or not, isn't going to prevent the inevitable collapse in it's horizon, though I suppose that's what you get when you treat you employees like garbage and your customers as nothing more than money bags (though that's the majority of companies I guess).

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Hahahaha, I actually laughed out loud. The guy just verbally slaughtered them.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Isn't Zynga getting sued by EA also? Or am I thinking of someone else? Kinda hope they all implode somehow.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Seriously, all Alan Patmore & Kixeye gotta do is wait this thing out. Zynga is being sued by EA (biggest publisher on the block), they're in a criminal investigation of insider trading, & their stock is diving so hard they're about to find Red Ore.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
If Patmore did steal trade secrets with an eye to giving Kixeye an advantage, then he needs to be nailed for it. You don't get to engage in scummy behaviour just because your victim is just as scummy. But it's hard not to admire how utterly epic a verbal smackdown this is.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
So, anyone catch that the new Star Trek will be called Into Darkness? I actually liked the reboot in 2009 so I'm looking forward to this new installment. Simon Pegg is even staying on as Scotty and I just really enjoy his acting. The only iffy part, so far, is that I hear William Shatner might get a part. I hope not because I...

...what? Okay fine. Oh look, the trolls are still fighting amongst themselves. Ooh. I can't wait until they start throwing feces at each other in court. The story of two scummy flash-game designers having a judicial slap flight is always so gripping.

The instant either of them bring up "quality games" during the proceedings... the judge should slap them with contempt.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
If Patmore did steal trade secrets with an eye to giving Kixeye an advantage, then he needs to be nailed for it. You don't get to engage in scummy behaviour just because your victim is just as scummy. But it's hard not to admire how utterly epic a verbal smackdown this is.
True, industrial espionage isn't to be taken lightly, in any case, companies are allowed to keep their business strategies secret, cuz that's how they survive.

Gotta give Harbin credit for the sheer asswhupping he layed out on zynga though... The wording made me think "Badass" when I read it, simple, to the point, true to the situation, and worded in the absolute most perfect way.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
In my mind, he ate the microphone, threw it up, and then CHUCKED it

>_>

what?..

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Kixeye really does come off as a very scummy bunch of "bro dude" pricks. I mean you need to look bad for me to think Zynga isn't so bad.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Knight Templar said:
Kixeye really does come off as a very scummy bunch of "bro dude" pricks. I mean you need to look bad for me to think Zynga isn't so bad.
Straight off cloning others' games and bragging about it is more scummy than giving a verbal beatdown?