Sony Online Bringing Dragon-Filled MMO to North America

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Sony Online Bringing Dragon-Filled MMO to North America

[youtube=c44NB48QR4U

[B]Dragon's Prophet, a free-to-play MMO from SOE and Runewaker Entertainment, is now accepting beta sign-ups.[/B]

Sony Online Entertainment, the publisher of quite a few notable MMOs, including the long-running EverQuest series, is teaming up with Taiwanese developer Runewaker Entertainment to bring a new online game to North America. The free-to-play title, Dragon's Prophet, features an action-based combat system, and as the title implies, dragons are pretty heavily featured in the gameplay.

Dragon's Prophet is set in Auratia, "a world shaped by dragon-kind," in which over 300 kinds of dragons exist just waiting to be collected. "You can fight, capture, train and ride them in order to utilize and build upon their unique skills and abilities to aid your cause," the press release continues, making it sound kind of like Pokemon with giant dragons (not that that's a bad thing). There's also an "extensive housing system" that allows players to built towns, cities, and ultimately kingdoms of their own.

The free-to-play MMO will be developed by Runewaker, and published and digitally distributed by Sony Online Entertainment in North America. Dragon's Prophet is set to begin beta within the next few months, and you can sign up now at the game's website [http://www.dragonsprophetthegame.com/].

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Dragons. Lots of dragons.
Free to play MMO
Catch dragons
Ride dragons
Fight dragons

I don't need anything more to make me interested.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Pokémon with dragons...
Free MMO...
SOE, please, take my money. I know it's free, just take it.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Indeed. A free MMO that's like Pokémon but with more dragons? They'll have to REALLY screw this one up before I'd be unwilling to fling cash at them.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I dunno, the trailer shows most of the fighting being done by humans with swords and bows, just like every other game. The dragons seemed mostly used as mounts. I'd be interested if you could actually directly control the dragons, like Divinity II or something. But if the core component of this game is controling dragons, the trailer did a piss-poor job of showing that.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
I came into this thread expecting monster hunter frontier.

I was dissapointed.

And then i saw the video and i became slightly interested.

But then i remember Capcom doesn't care about monster hunter outside of japan and i became depressed. I'm going to go into a corner and cry now.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
You know... I'm just starting to not feel dragons anymore.

Dragons are always the Big Bad in these games, or hyper intelligent super-beings and stuff. The last time I thought "Oh man, dragons, fuck yes!" was on the special on Animal Planet, where they supposed dragons as a sort of actual creature with hydrogen bladders and everything.

I'd flip my shit (in a good way) if games had dragons as just that kinda thing. A comparatively intelligent six-limbed reptilian capable of flight and fire-breathing through unique biology. A noticeable threat, but just any other big creature. No super giants, no hyper-intelligence, no ancient longevity, no inherent magical powers. Maybe they shape SOME cultures, and SOME beliefs, but other than that, they're just what they are.

Here, if anyone wants to follow what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ayhCJFLAA

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Terminate421 said:
Why must this be PS3 Exclusive?
Because it isn't a PS3 exclusive, and nowhere does it state such a thing...?

And honestly, that trailer was pretty bland if you ask me. The site tries to play off "warrior", "ranger", or "mage" as unique ideas for classes to choose from, the game isn't "true" action so to speak as it uses auto-targeting, and like someone has already said that trailer did nothing to highlight WHY dragons are actually interesting in the game besides "OO Mount!".

Dragons are awesome though.....they're like archery right now, the "new" thing.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
Well i'm certainly interested. Now if i can see the level grind, style of combat, end-game, and other stuff, i'll make a decision. For now i wait.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
Foolproof said:
Shuguard said:
Well i'm certainly interested. Now if i can see the level grind, style of combat, end-game, and other stuff, i'll make a decision. For now i wait.
Its F2P, why do you need to make a decision?
decision whether or not I'll play.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
the game looked pretty, but I would've been more interested if the players could actually play as the dragons.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Thar be dragons huh? Well, I've got one weapon that i think will be of great use to me if I happen to be fighting dragons and/or the Denizens of hell

Generic Anime Schoolgirl, Fetch me the Dragonslayer!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
this will probably be a quality MMO too seeing how its from the dudes that made Runes of Magic. Runes of Magic is a proper Free to Play MMO as well.

Overall impression is good. Too bad it looks like a tab targeting skill based game :(