Puberty and Racism

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
So much rambling, but I truly enjoyed it.

I gotta say, as much fan love as Wolverine gets, I can honestly say I prefer Deadpool when it comes to such characters that he has similar relationships with. (being indestructible)

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Growing up as a girl in the 80's and 90's... Rogue is my favourite, hands-down. Jean always smacked of pathetic to me when she wasn't Phoenix. Also... Cyclops is a pussy. Never liked him.

I couldn't ever afford comics as a kid (and holy crap were girls discouraged from buying them - I'd get talked down to at the comic stores, so much so I haven't read any to date), so I'm only basing it off the show. But she was pretty awesome all around.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
It's like there were 8 different threads all competing for air time in the authors head at once -_-

And I thought Tony Stark was the Batman of the Marvel universe?

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
Interesting choices. I like how you guys did it similar to your "best Batman villain" and eliminated the obvious choice. I wonder how much of a person's preference is related to what they read when they were younger. For example, my favorite characters are Cable and Rachel Summers. They may not be the best or most interesting characters, but as a kid I thought they were really cool, so they are still my favorites (especially within the past couple of years that series where Cable and Hope are running away from Bishop by hopping through time).

This might have been mentioned in the other thread, but there's a pretty good argument for Cyclops if you look at him as being one giant arc that ends with the end of Avengers vs X-Men. In short here's a guy who started out young and idealistic, and placed in charge or the team. Over time he sees that "dad" (Xavier) is kind of a jerk, people he was responsible for die (including his wife, repeatedly), and large-scale genocide committed against his people repeatedly (Mutant Massacre, Genosha, end of M-Day). Because the rest of the Marvel heroes don't care he becomes increasingly insular and cold. This culminates with AvX where he goes nuts almost destroying the planet, but in the end mutants are saved. And here's where it gets really good: given the choice, he would do it all again, even with the death and destruction, because it saved his people. He went from that young idealist to out-Magnetoing Magneto, the 1st villain the X-men ever fought. It would be almost perfect if Marvel just stopped all Cyclops stories now and let the character fade away.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
Growing up as a girl in the 80's and 90's... Rogue is my favourite, hands-down. Jean always smacked of pathetic to me when she wasn't Phoenix. Also... Cyclops is a pussy. Never liked him.

I couldn't ever afford comics as a kid (and holy crap were girls discouraged from buying them - I'd get talked down to at the comic stores, so much so I haven't read any to date), so I'm only basing it off the show. But she was pretty awesome all around.
Very much this. I think a large part of why I didn't care for Jean was her choice in men. I know there are comic book iterations of him that are more steely, but in the cartoon series (which was, like the poster quoted, as another girl who got run out of the comic book shops and never went back, my primary exposure to the X-men in general) he was a weak willed wining millstone around the all too passive and pacifying Jean's neck - excepting the time that she was Dark Phoenix, which gave her awesome points to burn.

Rogue was my girl. Gambit was her man and I was all into their "could never be but wouldn't it be great if we could" love story.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
I don't know why I was expecting an article entitled "Puberty and Racism" to be some sort of exploration into why 12-year-olds on competitive games with voice chat are always the ones you want to mute first. I've watched some No Right Answer in the past, so I should have known what I was getting myself into, right? But no, I thought, "They can't just be saying 'which is better? puberty or racism?' And it's called No Right Explanation. Therefore it must be some sort of attempt to explain why kids are most egregious offenders when you offer them anonymity. That could actually be really interesting! It's about time these guys had something to say. Let's see what their take is on this issue!"

Then I read the first page.

No. This is not the article I was expecting. It's just the article I probably should have expected, having seen No Right Answer. Maybe they discuss puberty or racism in passing on one of the other two pages. But if one third of the article, consisting of one entire voice in the conversation, has nothing to say on the subject... I'm sorry, but that's not what the article is about. This isn't a podcast, guys. You can't just name a written article after two or three words that happened to get mentioned at some point.

Or, hell, I don't know. Maybe you can. Is that how the internet works now? Is it a basic part of Search Engine Optimization to give your articles the most provocative title you can think of, regardless of whether or not it has any bearing on the content? Is The Escapist gonna name its next video game review "Justin Bieber VS Mitt Romney?"

I guess I must have glossed over the first line and skipped down to where it said "Chris:" because it looked like that was where the actual content of the article started. My bad. Guess the internet has trained me to skim webpages for content, and this time it backfired.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
It was a nice summation of the debate. I think Kyle was right, though, most of the X-men characters go through the 'accepting who you are phase' and then just run out of steam and become far less engaging. But wolverine and gambit can pull endless amounts of baggage from their backstories which makes them far more interesting. Rogue was also one of my favourites but that was as much tragically awesome superpower as anything else.

However, for my money if you want a character that can go toe to toe with wolverine for popularity and awesomeness you have got to pull the magneto card. I think that is the only other main character of the comics or TV show to be able to put up a fight.