Notch Posts Test Video of Mojang's New Game

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Notch Posts Test Video of Mojang's New Game

The latest video of Notch testing pre-alpha 0x10c includes sound and multiplayer.

While details have been few and far between regarding the actual content of Notch's new project, 0x10c, Notch has shared plenty of details on the coding of the game. Earlier today, however, Notch posted a video on the official 0x10c blog of himself exploring the game's multiplayer with working sound. The video includes what Notch calls a placeholder robot model for the eventual human characters. The new weapon placeholder notch announced last week [http://0x10c.com/2012/10/new-gun-placeholder/] is also included. In the test Notch interacts with what seems to be the generator and CPU, key features of the game. Compared to the very sparse preview posted previously, this one is full of life.

0x10c will be set in a far future where the space race never ended, but due to a 16-bit computer bug, some unlucky spacefarers from 1988 have slept until near the end of the universe. The near-dead universe will be filled with "remote galaxies forever lost to red shift, star formation long since ended, and massive black holes dominating the galaxy." In the game, characters will apparently interact with the ship, which includes a generator and CPU. The ship's Generator will produce a fixed amount of power, requiring players to manage the amount of resources they are trying to keep online at once. The ship will be controlled by a functioning 16-bit CPU that players interact with. Beyond this, little is known about what the actual gameplay will be like.

Source: Blog [http://0x10c.com/2012/10/progress-video/]

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
While I am expecting this game, I kinda want more info before getting all hyped about it.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
dafuq.

I like how a 3D game makes retro sounds like an arcade machine. Yep, that's pretty much all I can say for this video.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I can't watch the video at work, but I am mildly intrigued by the concept of the game.

That said, the name leaves much to be desired. It's either unpronounceable or it's 16c. Either way, it leaves me underwhelmed.

stormshot

Standing behind you
Aug 29, 2010
Agayek said:
I can't watch the video at work, but I am mildly intrigued by the concept of the game.

That said, the name leaves much to be desired. It's either unpronounceable or it's 16c. Either way, it leaves me underwhelmed.
notch has said he's just calls it 10 to the c

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
stormshot said:
notch has said he's just calls it 10 to the c
But... but he's a programmer! Why would he visit such blasphemy upon that innocent hexadecimal number?! That's just not right.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Well, at this rate, we'll have a AAA-looking title from Mojang by about 2045. Not that I'm complaining, that gun sounds like a lot of fun, it's just interesting to see how this game is just a step above the graphical masterpiece of Minecraft.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I could see a few mods turning this into an intense XCOM shooter >_>.

One that would actually be relevant to the core material unlike the real one being made.

TheKasp said:
Heh, he'll probably leave it unfinished and shitty to some other guy to fix so... Call me unimpressed.
Oh did he make another game?

I'm just trying to figure out which one you were talking about.

Obviously not Minecraft, considering it cost me something like 10 bucks and had hundreds of hours of my life sucked into it.

I googled but came up short.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
It..looks like half-life by way of Doom. And the gameplay honestly looks kind of shit. Is notch out of his skull? Or does he expect that his rabid fan army will gobble up game in which they can count the pixels?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
TheKasp said:
theultimateend said:
Oh did he make another game?

I'm just trying to figure out which one you were talking about.

Obviously not Minecraft, considering it cost me something like 10 bucks and had hundreds of hours of my life sucked into it.

I googled but came up short.
You might have enjoyed it.

He still left it shitty and unfinished to some other guy to fix.
You are probably right.

I was the only person who liked it.

I feel bad for him, shame it never took off with some sort of critical acclaim, massive sales, and a forum bustling with activity.

Had so much promise :/. We really got screwed by this guy. I want some quality games that work, like Command and Conquer 4 or Naughty Bear.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Mr.Squishy said:
It..looks like half-life by way of Doom. And the gameplay honestly looks kind of shit. Is notch out of his skull? Or does he expect that his rabid fan army will gobble up game in which they can count the pixels?
I'm pretty sure this is just to show people that he's made some progress on the game. There's obviously going to be a lot more stuff and it looks more like test run for the lighting rather than anything else.