Celebrities Wage War in New Black Ops II Trailer

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Celebrities Wage War in New Black Ops II Trailer

Robert Downey Jr. takes flight to promote Activision's latest shooter.

Black Ops II launch day is nearly upon us, and to help stoke the furnaces of the hype train, Activision brought in some Hollywood talent for its latest trailer. Officially titled Surprise, the new ad features the likes of Robert Downey Jr., French actor Omar Sy, as well as web celebs iJustine and Kyle Myers (better known by his YouTube handle FPS Russia). The trailer - which was directed by Guy Ritchie, of all people - sees the familiar faces duke it out in an urban battlefield.

The fight takes place in 2025 in Los Angeles, and includes weaponized robots, killer drones, and flying soldiers. Downey Jr. is seen piloting a jet for a brief moment before meeting an untimely demise.

The Call of Duty series is no stranger to live-action ads, and last year's There's a Soldier in All of Us trailer featured both Sam Worthington (Avatar, Terminator Salvation) and Jonah Hill (Superbad, 21 Jump Street). But regardless of how many "hardcore" players you run into online - or if you yourself are one of them - it's nice to see the game being promoted for what it is: A high-budget, cheesy war game with more explosions than it knows what to do with.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
This is why I like Call of Duty. It knows it's silly and embraces it instead of trying to tug at your heart strings like some other games.

And zombies would make an awesome kill streak.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Should have gotten Bruce Campbell to say that last line :p. A fun trailer nonetheless.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Nouw said:
Should have gotten Bruce Campbell to say that last line :p. A fun trailer nonetheless.
Thank God im not the only person thinking that.

Heres to hoping he gets added in to Zombies as a PC.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
wow, this trailer shows perfectly what is wrong with cod, was ANYONE killed by getting shot in this trailer? maybe i missed something but everyone got killed by some gimmicky streak-reward-thing

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Can someone please tell me who half these people are?
I recognise Robert Downie Jr., FPS Russia, iJustine, but that's it. Who else is there?

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I must admit that the trailer was pretty great. So much in fact that it almost makes me want to buy the game. I still don't but that trailer was just too great. Did I mention that I really liked that trailer? That it was great even? :p

Captcha: '; drop table users; Umm, okay?

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Hmmm... 'Back in Black' featured prominently in the soundtrack? Nice to see CoD's ad campaign is as unoriginal as its gameplay.

[flame shield activated]

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
So by celebrities, they mean Robert Downey Jr oh and a couple people from youtube. Well at least they could afford 3 seconds of Downey. As for the game, I'm still unimpressed.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Hopefully the multiplayer is as good as Black Ops I. MW3 was the first time I actually felt like the multiplayer regressed a bit.

Still, I'll be buying this within the first week most likely. Sure, it's the video game equivalent of junk food, but that's why we like it.

teebeeohh said:
wow, this trailer shows perfectly what is wrong with cod, was ANYONE killed by getting shot in this trailer? maybe i missed something but everyone got killed by some gimmicky streak-reward-thing
It only shows one person getting killed at the end by a streak and three dead total. The rest were, in order:

1) Sniper rifle
2) Throwing axe
3) Assault rifle (with x-ray vision)
4) Assault drones (likely a streak, if available)
5) F-35 variant (definitely a streak along the lines of the BO gunship)
6) Jet Drone (likely a streak)
7) Semtex (grenade slot, horses are likely only in the campaign and PvE scenarios) - Kill confirmed x 2
8) Helo Drone ("Dragonfire?" Likely a streak)
9) Cluster bomb (Definitely a streak) - Kill confirmed

Whoever does PR for Treyarch is doing a hell of a lot better than whoever was doing it for Infinity Ward.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
"Lets add one celeb and a bunch of "celebs" in an ad because our craptastic game can't stand on it's own two legs"

that's what I took away from this ad

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Not a CoD fan but that trailer was awesome.

Zombies... Groovy...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Blunderboy said:
Damn it, now I want a fucking horse in a CoD game.
I believe there is going to be in this one, hence why it is in the trailer. Don't know if it'll be in the multiplayer, mind, but I'm sure I saw something about horses being in the campaign.

Anyway,

Rather looking forward to this now.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I have been wondering for a couple of years now if the marketing budget is actually greater then the development budget.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
The Gentleman said:
1) Sniper rifle
2) Throwing axe
3) Assault rifle (with x-ray vision)
4) Assault drones (likely a streak, if available)
5) F-35 variant (definitely a streak along the lines of the BO gunship)
6) Jet Drone (likely a streak)
7) Semtex (grenade slot, horses are likely only in the campaign and PvE scenarios) - Kill confirmed x 2
8) Helo Drone ("Dragonfire?" Likely a streak)
9) Cluster bomb (Definitely a streak) - Kill confirmed
so out of nine weapons shown in action two are actual guns (and i don't care if throwing axes take the slot of a gun, they are not guns) and only one gets fired and that is to shoot a fucking axe. still leaves my point that they felt the need to showcase all the ways you can not shoot people in the head and still get kills, which is weird in a game that should be about being better at shooting people in the head than the other guy