Beat Halo 4, Earn $25

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Beat Halo 4, Earn $25

American Express incentivizes finishing Halo 4's campaign.

Who says gaming doesn't pay? If you're planning to pick up Halo 4 and have an American Express credit card, you could end up pocketing a cool $25 at the end of it. In a first-of-its-kind credit card promotion, Microsoft has teamed up with Amex to reward players who shoot their way to the end of the game's single-player campaign. In addition to bonuses for Amex holders who buy Halo 4, those who finish it can pick up an additional $25 on their monthly statements.

The promotion is a first-time collaboration between Xbox Live and American Express, and represents the first time a AAA console title has received a credit card tie-in. Social games have been doing this for quite some time, however, and even World of Warcraft experimented with game time rewards [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/services/rewards-visa/] for credit card purchases. Players who link their Xbox Live accounts with their Amex cards will receive a $10 credit and a number of coupons. Those taking control of Master Chief in Halo 4 can unlock various coupons and promotions as they gain various in-game achievements, but the big prize is the $25 credit in wait at the end of the single-player campaign. Theoretically, a gamer who already uses an Amex card and links his account upon buying Halo 4 could knock more than half of the game's initial cost off.

American Express has indicated interest in pursuing similar tie-in deals in the future, so saving a few bucks on new releases by using a company's preferred credit card could become a standard perk - or inconvenience, depending on which cards you hold. Those who want to take advantage of the offer should consider picking up an American Express [https://www.americanexpress.com/] card, but be warned that most Amex cards carry an annual fee in excess of the potential $35 in credits. But you've got to spend money to make money, right?

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180839/Halo_4s_Amex_tiein_pays_players_to_finish_singleplayer_campaign.php#.UJQeicUnF8F]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
It's just like the Brutes in Halo 3 say:

"We don't take Mastercard!"

Although it does have a strange tie-in, I don't see an issue with it. You'll make money if you have that credit card. Big deal.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
In addition to bonuses for Amex holders who buy Halo 4, those who finish it can pick up an additional $25 on their monthly statements
Brings a whole new meaning to Pay to Play.

Those who want to take advantage of the offer should consider picking up an American Express card, but be warned that most Amex cards carry an annual fee in excess of the potential $35 in credits.
Brings a whole new meaning to Pay to Play.

Well, nevermind.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
If what I've been hearing is true, it wont take long to make that 25 bucks.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
You have to pay like $175 a year just for the privilege of having the card. (And we're not even talking about interest payments when you use it and don't pay it off immediately.)

So getting a maximum of $30 back for buying a 360 game and linking it? I mean I *guess* if you really love the card it's going to remove some of your yearly cost (assuming halo 4 is your thing)

Though really I think this is a lame promotion. I picked up the the other Halo's exclusively for MP. Not sure $25 is worth sitting through the crap-tastic story.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, I'd get an Amex ard myself if it wasn't because they're really picky about it. Sure, it's accepted in most places and they give you a lot of credit but like it was said, the interests are horribly high, they don't approve just anyone and...well, it just ain't worth it.

Nice try, Amex, but the problem is still you.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
This is one way to get gamers to actually play the singleplayer campaign to the end. Maybe more will do so if this happens for more games. Good idea, I'd say.

Sovereignty said:
I picked up the the other Halo's exclusively for MP.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
is it weird that the first that came to mind was slenderman?
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/188/8/7/slender_man_by_noah123-d56dupf.jpg

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Sovereignty said:
You have to pay like $175 a year just for the privilege of having the card. (And we're not even talking about interest payments when you use it and don't pay it off immediately.)

What you seem to have completely forgotten about is the possibility of someone already having an amex who plays Halo 4.

nexus

May 30, 2012
ResonanceSD said:
What you seem to have completely forgotten about is the possibility of someone already having an amex who plays Halo 4.
Except the idea of a promotion is to encourage people to buy into it. AMEX isn't doing this to reward it's customers, and neither is Microsoft. It's just a business promotion.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

On the one hand, this is a fairly transparent ploy trying to plug something that has nothing to do with Halo and would otherwise have no value to a fan of the Halo series.

On the other hand, it seems ultimately harmless, if a little baffling.

Apr 5, 2008
I wouldn't link a card to XBox Live again for anything short of £150, the exact amount Microsoft allowed hackers to steal from me. Will never spend another penny on XBL.

Sovereignty said:
The annual fees only apply to their charge cards, on which no interest is charged. Charge cards have to be paid of in full each month. Their credit cards, which do accrue interest, do not have annual fees.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
OhJohnNo said:
This is one way to get gamers to actually play the singleplayer campaign to the end. Maybe more will do so if this happens for more games. Good idea, I'd say.
That was my second thought on the matter, considering there is a relatively small portion of players that regularly finish a SP campaign. I'd expect it to be much less when you're looking at multiplayer heavy games like Halo and CoD.

My first thought was the ludicrous fact that this is Amex and their yearly fees are infamous. $25 is a measly sum comparative to these costs.

I worry about the precedent this may set, either good or bad. I'm suspecting the latter.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol interesting...but I enjoy the Halo campaigns a lot anyway. get my money's worth, y'know