Russian Supercriminal Makes Off With 80,000 Pounds of Walnuts

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Russian Supercriminal Makes Off With 80,000 Pounds of Walnuts

In a seemingly flawless heist, a man has stolen 80,000 pounds of walnuts over two separate incidents.

Two truckloads of walnuts totaling 80,000 pounds have been reported stolen in Tehama County, California. When a huge load of nuts was reported as never arriving in Miami, deputies with the Tehama County Sheriff's Office connected the crime to the theft, only a few days earlier, of 40,000 pounds of walnuts bound for Texas. Granted, this didn't take a huge amount of deductive reasoning, as there's likely only one person on the whole planet who would steal 40,000 pounds of walnuts in the first place. The Sheriff's suspect list is only a single man, a delivery driver who managed to pick up the two shipments of walnuts under false pretenses.

For all the seeming insanity of the crime, the 80,000 pounds of protein-packed, nutty goodness is worth nearly $300,000. The impostor driver is apparently well connected and had planned the heist, because he was equipped with the correct purchase numbers to pick up the shipment. After checking with the Texas-based recipient of the walnuts, deputies discovered that the man who picked them up wasn't the man hired for the job. The nut-thieving conman is described as a 6' 2" Caucasian male with a "very distinctive Russian accent" driving a white semi. Presumably, the man also has a love of walnut filled brownies, or perhaps cakes, and a strong talent for social engineering.

This is the second high profile food theft in October, the first being the now solved great maple syrup heist. [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/maple-syrup-seized-canada-heist-600-barrels_n_1942575.html] Given the proximity of the two thefts I can only suspect that the world has a new ring of food thieves, concocting some sticky-salty-sweet schemes of global catastrophe.

Source: Redding.com [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/80000-pounds-of-walnuts-stolen-california-accented-delivery0driver-imposter_n_2050181.html]

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Well if you ask me the whole thing seems a bit nutty.
*ehem*
I'm sure glad they were able to crack this case. Just think of all the people that would be up a wall without their nuts.
*ehem*
Seriously, who does this kind of shit? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?
Captcha- haters gonna hate
I will submit no apologies for my hating Captcha. These people are silly, they deserve some criticism.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
The squirrels have gained psionic abilities to control Russian truck drivers to steal nuts for them. It's the only logical conclusion.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Wow, the police are going to work hard to CRACK this case.

Puns aside, if there's a theft of industrial amounts of flour and cocoa.
We best move the national guard to Defcon 1, because a giant brownie monster attack is imminent.

Apr 5, 2008
In a nutshell the dastardly crook will likely find his hoard isn't worth peanuts. He's probably a shell of a man with little to lose and if the police catch up with him he'll probably crack at the first sign of pressure.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I highly doubt that that many walnuts are worth such a tiny amount - he just needs to find the right buyer in China. [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/chinese-walnut-market_n_1837369.html]

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
What would you even do with that many walnuts, go into the mountains and live off of them

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
That video of the squirrel is fucking adorable. I'm going to get my own pet squirrel and his diet will consist purely of walnuts in front of a high-powered video camera. His name will be Peanut.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I think what I love most about this is not that he stole 80,000 pounds of walnuts, but rather that he stole 40,000 pounds of walnuts twice.

Then again, what is there NOT to love about this story?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I honestly think the Riddler is putting together some overcomplicated plan to confound Batman with his theft of edible goods. I think the largest distributor of potatoes in Idaho may be next! How will Batman solve this one? Tune in next time, same bat time, same bat channel.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I think what I love most about this is not that he stole 80,000 pounds of walnuts, but rather that he stole 40,000 pounds of walnuts twice.
Within a week. A week. That's just incredible.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
MortisLegio said:
The squirrels have gained psionic abilities to control Russian truck drivers to steal nuts for them. It's the only logical conclusion.
They must be planning some absurdly elaborate revenge against Razputin from Psychonauts.
(Sorry I couldn't find a clip of him setting them on fire with his mind. One of the game's many, many highlights!)

Seriously, though: Any word on what he was planning to DO with the nuts? Is there some sort of Californian nut-tax he was trying to dodge? Like most regions have on alcohol and cigarettes?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
JonB said:
The nut-thieving conman is described as a 6' 2" Caucasian male with a "very distinctive Russian accent" driving a white semi.
Reading that immediately made me think of FPS Russian and his fake Russian accent. (I think he's around that height, too). Faking an accent to mess with the cops is a pretty good idea, I reckon, and a Russian accent isn't very hard to imitate. Maybe it's not really a Russian who did it. Or maybe it is. Who knows~