Natural Selection 2 Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Natural Selection 2 Review

Nothing teaches you the importance of teamwork like being part of an alien hivemind.

Read Full Article

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Didn't Yahtzee once say he wanted to see a game like this once?

Mixing RTS and FPS elements into one game?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Best game I've played this year, can most certainly see this taking over my FPS "slot" for the next year or so.

Adore games that actually require teamwork.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I really want this game, but I really doubt my laptop can handle it. It looks amazing though.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
This looks interesting, but I don't think personally I'm good enough at games to even attempt playing with other people in such a fashion...

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
Ham Blitz said:
I really want this game, but I really doubt my laptop can handle it. It looks amazing though.
Isn't it just another source game? Source is so ancient by now that you shouldn't have a problem. I mean, Portal 2 zooms along at 200 FPS for me if I unlock the fps.
Nope. They dropped source a few years ago in favor of developing their own engine. This also means that the game itself doesn't run as smooth as you'd expect from a similar-looking source game. Although they've probably improved the framerate since I played in the alpha (or beta?), it still felt like my maxed out rig didn't quite do it on medium to high graphics.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
The game definitely has some optimization issues.

But it runs well for me, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. There' something magical about getting cloaking on an onos (giant rhinoceros-looking ************) and ambushing a pack of marines. I mean, they won't fall for it twice, but the first time you show up right in the middle of a group of four marines? Glorious.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
This reminds me a TON of the free-to-play game Tremulous. It almost looks identical in terms of gameplay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Kwil said:
PieBrotherTB said:
This looks interesting, but I don't think personally I'm good enough at games to even attempt playing with other people in such a fashion...
Community is actually very good. It being so strongly focused on team-play, most teams do go out of their way to help new players get their feet under them, if only because it means they've got one more person helping to build stuff up.
Really, the community (so far) is one of the best things about the game. With only a few rare exceptions, they're communicative, helpful, and friendly.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
Finally a review that gets it. Been in the alpha and saw this grow, it went through a few changes but nothing more than revamps of the UI and balance. It was well worth pre-ordering it back then.

I highly recommend this to RTS fans but make sure you get the commander spot, FPS fans will love you when you manage the resources properly.

And for anyone who remembers the half-life mod, still has people playing.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Thedutchjelle said:
This reminds me a TON of the free-to-play game Tremulous. It almost looks identical in terms of gameplay.
Yeah, that game is the reason why I bought this game. Never got to try the original Natural Selection, but I'm guessing that was pretty similar as well.

It was worth the money. Especially considering I payed half the price of the Deluxe Edition by pre-ordering through their homepage.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Throughout that entire video, I was looking in the upper corner for "InflatableBeerTent"

Sadly, I don't think I'm in there, or I was a commander...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Thedutchjelle said:
Hmmm... didn't NS1 come before Tremulous?

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
tmande2nd said:
Didn't Yahtzee once say he wanted to see a game like this once?

Mixing RTS and FPS elements into one game?
There's been a few games like it before, but this has more emphasis on tactical leading than strategy that the Sacred series and Nuclear Dawn had.

NS2 is aiming to be a competitive shooter and it is quite fun to play, but I feel that the load times as well as marine early game need to be fixed (marines do not scale downwards at all due to being required to build marine buildings).