New Dinosaur Species Dubbed "Eye of Sauron"

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
New Dinosaur Species Dubbed "Eye of Sauron"

The discovery of a skull fossil in Morocco has revealed a new species of giant, meat-eating dinosaur.

Paleontologists have found the fossil of a previously unknown species of dinosaur that roamed the planet 95 million years ago. More specially, it was native to North Africa, and the meat-eater was as big as the Tyrannosaurus rex. The fossil was discovered in Morocco in 2007, and a research paper on the discovery has just been published. Paleontologists went with the name Sauroniops pachytholus, which is Greek for "eye of Sauron."

The eye of Sauron, of course, is a prominent symbol from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. The species was given the name due to its fossilized eye socket. Because paleontologists only found part of its skull, that was the fossil's most defining characteristic. According to Andrea Cau, the paper's lead author, "The idea of a predator that is physically known only as its fierce eye reminded me of Sauron, in particular as depicted in Peter Jackson's movies."

Despite only finding a skull fragment, paleontologists were still able to tell quite a bit about what Sauroniops was like. It was a big eater that likely had "a long and deep skull bearing dozens of bladelike teeth," and lived among other giant dinosaurs in an area rich with food. The skull was "broad and particularly thick" and revealed that Sauroniops had a distinctive bump on the front of its head, possibly used for head-butting during mating rituals. The Dark Lord of Mordor could not be reached for comment.

Source: The Mary Sue [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/sauroniops-pachytholus-t-_n_2088637.html]

Image: National Geographic [http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/11/121106-sauron-new-dinosaur-lord-of-the-rings-science-t-rex/]

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
This is brilliant, they should make a special version of the Hobbit where this Dinosaur jumps out and fights Smaug.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How did that fossil piece remind them of Sauron? Well ok if you rotate it so that slit it pointing down I guess it kind of resemble the eye but still...

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'd say that this is probably just another case of two fossils getting stuck together, like with the brontosaurus, but it sounds like they really don't have all that much to be confused about. I mean, if it's just part of a skull, how do we know it isn't just a t-rex with down syndrome or something?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Ha, and people say dinosaurs are not cool, they rival unicorns and cats.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I cant take the film version of the eye of sauron seriously. It looks like a giant vaj...

Its cool how we will never find out everything though. These new discoveries will keep on coming.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
bjj hero said:
I cant take the film version of the eye of sauron seriously. It looks like a giant vaj...
I'd recommend less psychedelic drugs during sex, but then I guess that is half the fun.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I'm the 13th post, and there isn't a single "One does not simply..." post or image. I'm shocked. Maybe even a little disappointed.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
bjj hero said:
I'd have said it looks more like the male "Jap Eye" myself.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
It's finally happened: nerds are woven into society deep enough that we can expect such names. I hope the next element on the periodic table will be called "jedium." I would have said midicholrium, because it sounds a bit better, but I don't think anyone would be happy about that.
Ooh, ooh. Or Gondorium!

captcha"wing it"

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Im so happy that current generation science still knows how to have fun.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Why do I get the feeling this name is all because another group of Paleontologists named another new breed of dino Dracorex hogwartsia (which unlike this one makes sense as it looks dragonish)

and these guys were all like fuck no those HP nerds cant have their own dino if there isnt a LOR one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracorex

serously if we are giving ancent animals nerdy names can we name the next horse fossil after FIM?