World of Warcraft's Cinder Kitten Benefits Hurricane Sandy Relief

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
World of Warcraft's Cinder Kitten Benefits Hurricane Sandy Relief

100% of the proceeds from World of Warcraft's next in-game pet will be donated to the Red Cross.

Now that Hurricane Sandy is done destroying large portions of the east coast of the United States, the clean-up effort has begun. Many residents were left without food, shelter, and other basic necessities in the superstorm's wake, and Blizzard is doing its part to help the relief effort. The publisher has promised that all proceeds from the downloadable Cinder Kitten, an in-game pet coming to World of Warcraft later this year, will go to the Red Cross.

The Cinder Kitten doesn't have a release date, but it will be available for $10 at some indeterminate point in the near future, and 100% of that money will be going to the Red Cross. According to Blizzard's site [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7777896/Cinder_Kitten_Charity_Drive_for_Superstorm_Sandy_Coming_Soon-11_7_2012], adoption of the pet "will enable the Red Cross to provide shelter, food, emotional support, and other assistance to survivors of disasters like Superstorm Sandy."

Of course, Activision Blizzard isn't exactly hurting for cash [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120545-Activision-Blizzard-Enjoys-Better-Than-Expected-Third-Quarter], but it's still great to see the gaming industry contribute to helping the east coast recover from the devastation Sandy has caused. For World of Warcraft players, this seems like a win-win: you get to help out a good cause, AND you get a flaming kitten in your game.

Source: Game Politics [http://gamepolitics.com/2012/11/08/cinder-kitten-fires-hurricane-sandy-donations-world-warcraft]

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I would buy a flaming kitten to help charity if it was in a game that I played.

Ubisoft: Flaming kitten in ACIII for charity. Get on it.

ETA: "Flaming kitten" and "kitten that has been lit on fire" are not the same things, just to be clear.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
would be even nicer if they offered to match each sale with a donation even if it was a dollar or two.

not like they have not milked wow for bundles of money anyway.

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
I'll probably be getting it. I mean, getting a flaming kitten AND donating to charity? /shutupandtakemymoney

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Is the money only going to the US or will some of the money be going to the victims in the Caribbean?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
albino boo said:
Is the money only going to the US or will some of the money be going to the victims in the Caribbean?
It's going to the Red Cross, depends on what they do with it.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Vaccine said:
albino boo said:
The international Red Cross or the US one?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I remember buying the mini-pet during the relief effort for the Japan tsunami.

This looks to be along the same lines. Hopefully Azeroth will be seeing a lot more burning kittens real soon.

[sub]Wow, that sounded a lot better in my head.[/sub]

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
albino boo said:
Vaccine said:
albino boo said:
The international Red Cross or the US one?
They're not separate entities. The American Red Cross is simply the localized arm of the Red Cross.

mew4ever23 said:
Good cause and it's adorable to boot. Let me know when it comes out.
They have it slated for the 5.1 release. They like the idea of a pre-order though and might see if they can do that.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Hopefully Azeroth will be seeing a lot more burning kittens real soon.

[sub]Wow, that sounded a lot better in my head.[/sub]
The fact that you have a Richard avatar means this is 150% funnier.

I don't play WOW otherwise I would totally get that little inferno of cuteness to help out the people hurt by the hurricane.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
And thus Blizzard has devised a way to keep those new/ly returning players after MoP came out. I guess pretty soon WoW will be all about Catching pets. [sub]Can't wait to see that advert alongside the old one that has been updated to include a dancing panda in addition to the goblin.[/sub]

Z of the Na said:
Hopefully Azeroth will be seeing a lot more burning kittens real soon.
The fact you have Richard as your avatar makes that sentence a lot more amusing. :D

Edit: WOW ninja'd by 5 minutes...

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Cpu46 said:
The fact that you have a Richard avatar means this is 150% funnier.
Nile McMorrow said:
The fact you have Richard as your avatar makes that sentence a lot more amusing. :D
You know, at the time of writing that I was tired and wasn't even really thinking about it, but yeah, you guys are right, heh.

Thanks for making my morning, you two.

SnowBurst

Jul 2, 2012
sandy wasnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be, why not do something for a real tragedy for people who have tried hard in life but get shit on so bad they become homeless, id respect blizzard a lot more if they did something for that

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
So it's out and I bought one. All I can say about is:

Dawwwwwwwww...

The kitten is adorable! And I already have guildies jealous of me. :3