Minecraft PC Sales Break 8 Million

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Minecraft PC Sales Break 8 Million

Combined with Xbox 360 sales, that makes for well over 12 million Minecraft copies sold.

Notch tweeted today that Minecraft has passed the eight million mark in sales, making it one of the best selling PC Games [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games] of all time. Combined with Xbox 360 sales, now totaling something like four million units, that means Minecraft has sold something like 12 million units - and rising, because that doesn't include the million or so pocket edition sales. It's a hefty sales number for a AAA title on the PC, let alone an indie. Notch seemed excited, letting us know that "My face is making grinning sounds, so I assume it's grinning!"

Meanwhile, Mojang has been working on building a Mod API [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/11/the-future-of-minecraft/] for Minecraft, to ensure long term expansion of the game. Jens "Jeb" Bergenstein, the lead on the game, told PC Gamer that "everything new I'm thinking of should probably be a mod." Therefore, the brains behind Minecraft are working on making the game more Mod friendly. Entailing what is apparently a huge amount of work and a recoding of Minecraft from the ground up in many places.

Minecraft's sales numbers are staggering, and will likely set the indie bar for years to come. Impressive as they are, though, the numbers are nothing like the sales numbers of AAA titles. It's likely that for the immediate future, Minecraft's success will remain bottled lightning - impossible to replicate, but nonetheless awesome. Providing community support, meanwhile, will likely only sell more copies of the game because of the ridiculously awesome mods. [http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-best-ever-minecraft-mods.php/2]

Source: Joystiq [https://twitter.com/notch/status/267962794165547008]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
8 Million is pretty impressive for a game completely reliant on community exposure. Just goes to show how much YouTube helps to sell a (good) game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Yep, this is definitely the time to start thinking about making an API, instead of a couple years ago.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Never got into Minecraft, but well done! Wonder what their next game will be like, Scrolls was it?
Yeah, Notch's new game, The Elder Scrolls: Minecraft (trolol).

Its amazing how a simple idea and, what started as, a simple game can turn so much profit. How about we stop making AAA modern shooter knockoffs with graphics so high they require 12 million sales just to get even?

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Excludos said:
Yeah, Notch's new game, The Elder Scrolls: Minecraft (trolol).

Its amazing how a simple idea and, what started as, a simple game can turn so much profit. How about we stop making AAA modern shooter knockoffs with graphics so high they require 12 million sales just to get even?
I'd much rather we just come out with a new generation of consoles with enough RAM and processing power that we don't need to spend so much cash to get the same graphical prowess.

The only reason that modern shooters require so much money is that they're programming for a device that makes my 3-year-old cheap laptop look mighty and powerful. 512MB of RAM, a 3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon processor that is so inefficient and slow that it makes a 2.2 GHz dual core Intel look positively futuristic, and a 500 MHz graphics card...

If they had used off-the-shelf parts they could've saved a ton of cash in production and sold the things cheaper - so that upgrading after 4 or 5 years would've seemed more reasonable. But there I go on one of my dreamy little tangents.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
8 million sold yet I still can't buy it.

Notch why? I have the money on my paypal so why won't you sell it to me?

Is $26.03 USD not enough? I'll pay more just please let me buy it.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Yabba said:
Minecraft's sales numbers are staggering, and will likely set the indie bar for years to come. Impressive as they are, though, the numbers are nothing like the sales numbers of AAA titles.
Umm...Yes they are, as you even state in the article and support with a link placing it in the TOP 10 for PC sales of all times.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
8 million sold yet I still can't buy it.

Notch why? I have the money on my paypal so why won't you sell it to me?

Is $26.03 USD not enough? I'll pay more just please let me buy it.
You probably pissed him off on twitter once or something. You don't badmouth the Notch!

Mod API? Fantastic. I don't like waiting for all my mods to be un-broen again for the new big update.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
JonB said:
ridiculously awesome mods. [http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-best-ever-minecraft-mods.php/2]
No mention of Tekkit? I know it's a collection of mods, but IMO it's the most impressive. The Aether is interesting, but I got bored with it pretty quick.

And now recently, the mod creators used in Tekkit collaborated on the "Feed the Beast" pack, so now that mod pack is completely supported and updated to Minecraft 1.4.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I'm glad the game sold well. I'd rather have a gave like Minecraft than a AAA game even if it cost the same as the AAA, but seeing as how indie games are usually a fraction of the price of indie, then it's not hard to see what I'd pick.

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
Jadak said:
Yabba said:
Minecraft's sales numbers are staggering, and will likely set the indie bar for years to come. Impressive as they are, though, the numbers are nothing like the sales numbers of AAA titles.
Umm...Yes they are, as you even state in the article and support with a link placing it in the TOP 10 for PC sales of all times.
Wait what? I never typed that

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Yabba said:
Jadak said:
Yabba said:
Wait what? I never typed that
My mistake, was intending to quote the OP and apparently quoted you, yet somehow got the correct text.. *shrugs*

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Avaholic03 said:
JonB said:
ridiculously awesome mods. [http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-best-ever-minecraft-mods.php/2]
No mention of Tekkit? I know it's a collection of mods, but IMO it's the most impressive. The Aether is interesting, but I got bored with it pretty quick.

And now recently, the mod creators used in Tekkit collaborated on the "Feed the Beast" pack, so now that mod pack is completely supported and updated to Minecraft 1.4.
This man said an intelligent thing and we should all listen to him.