Exam Screw-Up Implies Giant Robots Took Part in the Russian Revolution

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Exam Screw-Up Implies Giant Robots Took Part in the Russian Revolution

"We can't take the Winter Palace without heavy mech support, comrade."

The instigators, causes, events and outcome of the Russian Revolution have been explored thoroughly in classrooms across the globe, but the history books have failed to note the importance of one machine without which the revolution would have stalled. I am of course talking about the MAD-X "Marauder" from BattleTech.

Confused? So were Australian youngsters taking their year 12 VCE history exam, when the iconic mecha turned up in the background of a painting included in the Visual History of the World section. The towering machine was apparently intent on assisting the proletariat in taking the Winter Palace, the official residence of the Russian monarchs. Don't fret, your history teachers haven't been lying to you - at least not this time - the image is an obvious chop and shop of Nikolai Kochergin's Storming the Winter palace on 25th October 1917. Searching for the painting on Google brings up the doctored, or perhaps improved, version as the first result, which presumably explains how it made its way into the exam. Someone wasn't paying attention.

A spokesman for the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) admitted as much:

The Image was "sourced and acknowledged by the VCAA as coming from the Internet," he said. "The image has been altered but the alteration of the image won't impact on the students' capacity to answer the examination question."

Fortunately, some wise soul posted a picture of the exam on Twitter, otherwise we would have been spared a laugh at the VCE's expense.

The spokesman didn't confirm or deny whether future exams would explore the role of the T-800 in the assassination of Leon Trotsky and Joseph Stalin's rise to power

Source: The Age [http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/history-transformed-in-vce-exam-20121114-29ce7.html]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Fake? Please! Next you'll tell me there weren't any combat mechs at the battle of bunker hill!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
This would make a great Dr Who plot.

Think about it: Companion convinces the Doctor to show them St Petersburg, he messes up the timing and arrives during the storming of the winterpalace. With Mechs.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Vie said:
This would make a great Dr Who plot.

Think about it: Companion convinces the Doctor to show them St Petersburg, he messes up the timing and arrives during the storming of the winterpalace. With Mechs.
I'll watch that.

Then again I'll watch almost anything with giant robots in it.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
That large machine in the background looks suspiciously like an Imperial Titan!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
SOMEONE MAKE A GAME OUT OF THIS RIGHT NOW! TO KICKSTARTER!
I believe something very similar was already made, but it was set in the American Midwest, and sucked quite badly.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
SOMEONE MAKE A GAME OUT OF THIS RIGHT NOW! TO KICKSTARTER!
I believe something very similar was already made, but it was set in the American Midwest, and sucked quite badly.
I think I know what you're talking about. A WWI game with mechs by Double Fine or something like that?

Anyway, more on topic, this kind of reminds me of my American History class and the textbooks we had that were full of erroneous facts on such topics like the Battle of the Bulge, and the Battle of Mogadishu. No mechs though.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahahaha oh history... hey throw something like this into the mix every once in a while just to see who's paying attention :p it'd keep me on edge in class loll

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Assuming the industry is still on the "7 Out Of 10 Is Average" scoreboard, I never understood why the Sonic Rider titles were generally disliked. Granted, the games weren't anything special and Sonic Free Riders was apparently one of the worse games of 2010 by a lot of people, but the other two titles (Riders and Zero Gravity) were alright racers which kept the developed concepts of Sonic, even if those concepts included the introduction of more stupid characters and the over-emphasis on "Coolness".

EDIT: GOD DAMN IT I MIXED UP BROWSER TABS!!!

As for my opinion; I now want a WWII game with mechs. GIMME, JAPAN!!!

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
kajinking said:
Fake? Please! Next you'll tell me there weren't any combat mechs at the battle of bunker hill!
Russia had Mechs, America had assassins. Now all we need is for them to combine and fight.