The Darkness Sequel Coming with New Developer

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Darkness Sequel Coming with New Developer

Comics company Top Cow announced that a sequel to their 2007 game based on The Darkness is currently in development, though it's apparently not being handled by original developer Starbreeze.

Starbreeze's 2007 videogame adaptation of Top Cow's comic book The Darkness took some gamers by surprise when it was released to quite a bit of success. Now there's some good news and bad news out of Comic-Con on the Darkness videogame front: there is a sequel in the works at the moment, but it isn't being developed by Starbreeze.

Series creator and Top Cow founder Marc Silvestri confirmed [http://www.newsarama.com/comics/070925-sdcc-TopCowPanel.html] the game is in the works at the moment at a Comic-Con panel last week. Silvestri seems to been pretty mum on info, aside from revealing than confirming that veteran comics scribe Paul Jenkins would be working on the script. Jenkins has a few years of scripting duties on the Darkness comic, so fans should be happy to hear he's on the project.

What they potentially might be upset with is that the studio responsible for the first game's success, Starbreeze, won't be handling development on the game. "I heard that there were talks about a Darkness sequel, but Starbreeze is not involved in anything like that right now. We are busy on two projects together with EA," studio CEO Johan Kristiansson told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/27/starbreeze-not-developing-the-darkness-sequel/].

Silvestri also revealed that the PS3 and 360 versions of The Darkness have reached platinum sales status, and will be soon repriced at $29.99.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Aw Starbreeze won't be developing it. From what I see, a squeal done by another company ends badly, not always, but it happens.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Could be good, but my hopes have been dashed if Starbreeze aren't involved.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
I'm hesitant on this one. Will the game be as good as the original with another company making it?

One Seven One

Feb 5, 2009
i wasn't expecting that, i didn't even know the game was so popular!

well i'm going to want to see a few screenshots before i can make a better opinion, so far it sounds like a good idea, but with the way the first one ended i'm not sure what will happen with this one.(i've never read the comic so i have no idea.)

Marv21

Jan 1, 2009
I can guess this one will have Angelus and the Witchblade...hopefully! I just hope it will be as good as number 1!

*sigh* WHY STARBREEZE WHY!!!!!!

When I heard this I said "This was the first time I died"

damn Ninja'd!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
A darkness sequel holy crap, my fancy has been tickled but hearing that the great Starbreeze aint behind it saddens me slightly but i wont base my judgement solely on that i'll have to play it first

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
Marv21 said:
I can guess this one will have Angelus and the Witchblade...hopefully! I just hope it will be as good as number 1!

Angelus is a MUST, if they regard the source material at all...

Here's hoping for a good game, with or without Starbreeze.

Simski Burkez

Jun 3, 2009
This is possibly the best gaming news I've heard in ages... as in there's a Darkness 2, it sucks that Starbreeze aren't working on it though, as they did a fantastic job with the first game.
Would like to know who's gonna be making the new one though.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
From what I was told by someone who worked with Starbreeze on the first title, they were not really happy with the game as it was and wanted to go a bit further.
But as usual with tight schedules, the game had to be released and it sounded like it had been quite difficult on the organisatorial part.

I suppose that SBZ would have done a sequel with a bit more liberty to refine everything and turned it down instead of going through the whole process again.

But then again, might be that they are just busy working on a new title without capacity to handle both titles at the same time.

Marv21

Jan 1, 2009
the protaginist said:
Marv21 said:

Angelus is a MUST, if they regard the source material at all...

Here's hoping for a good game, with or without Starbreeze.
I would also love to see the Triplets...they could be mini-bosses! I would so love to beat them crap out of them like Jackie did in the comic before splitting O'Malley in half and throwing him around the house!

Also I would love more appearances from "Butcher Joyce" etc.

I would also like the see the Brotherhood of the Darkness led by Fontaine!

But if they want to keep going about how Jackie wants to control the Darkness route I could dig that as a SIDE-story..note I said SIDE!

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I'm going to wait instead of jumping the gun like I did on the first one, which sucked.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
No Starbreeze!? :O!
How cruel!

A Darkness sequel is good though, seeing as how the first one was pretty underrated.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I wonder if they'll reset the continuity to follow the comics closer or stick with the first game's story. The comic's story's pretty awesome, but the game's story pretty cool as well.

But mostly, I wonder who'll develop the game if not, um, those guys. They did a good job, but not a great one. I'm sure several developers could make the sequel a whole new load of awesome, while others would drive it into the gutter.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I really enjoyed The Darkness, and I think did a good job of making a fun game.

I don't know about the new one. Whoever the developer is will probably have a big impact on my opinion of the game.

I mean, in comparison...Infinity Ward make GREAT Call of Duty games. Treyarch...not so much.