Nintendo Denies Wii U "Accidental Hack"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Denies Wii U "Accidental Hack"

Nintendo says a Wii U "debug menu" discovered by a NeoGAF user was actually just a mock-up.

A NeoGAF user reported yesterday his rather surprising discovery of what appeared to be a "debug menu" in his newly-acquired Wii U console, which he stumbled upon while "messing around in Miiverse." He didn't take advantage of the many dangerous options it laid out before him, like flagging content as prohibited or deleting admins, because he didn't want to be banned on launch day, but his announcement naturally left a lot of people worried about the potential security holes in Nintendo's online world.

It turns out that there's no need to be concerned, however, as Nintendo says there was never any actual security breach to begin with. "It has come to our attention that some people were able to access a mock up menu on Miiverse following the launch of Wii U in the U.S.," the company said in a statement. "Please note that this was only a mock up menu and has now been removed and is not accessible."

The company did not address the question of why games like Metal Gear Solid, Yoshi's Land and Soul Hackers appeared in the mock-up menus, even though they have not been announced for the Wii U.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-19-nintendo-allays-wii-u-hacking-fears]

Reactions: kimberlycostello

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I can't help it, but this comes immediately to mind:

"Oh, of course it wasn't actually a hack. We just made a page that LOOKED like a debug menu. You know, for giggles."

True or false, it's a great source for hilarity.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
wow...
This is pretty funny actually...
Failing to remove something like that, and one smart kid with "I didn't touch anything since I didn't want to get banned". There actually are careful people out there?

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
That was one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a long time, and I was there to see it play out "live".

Also, I would kill for a Yoshi's Land WiiU. I've been thinking of jumping onboard - this is what I need. I was a huge fan of Yoshi's Island/Story back in the day.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
Seems plausible as a "We removed actual code but not the GUI parts." sort of issue. I have encountered it in plenty of places before. The kid probably tried using it but discovered it did nothing so said he did not try to gain attention.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well that was fast. Think Nintendo is gonna make the same claim Sony did long ago about being "unhackable"? Not a good launch for the Wii U it seems what with the inability to transfer accounts and now this. Still gonna get one eventually though.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
The WiiU generally seems to have some teething troubles. One of my friends who bought it at launch had the new Mario game crash the console several times.