Blizzard CEO Declared Tech Entrepreneur of the Year

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Blizzard CEO Declared Tech Entrepreneur of the Year

Mike Morhaime is being recognized for making Blizzard a world class business

This year's winner of the Ernst & Young National Entrepreneur Of The Year 2012 Technology Award is Blizzard's CEO, president, and co-founder Mike Morhaime. The principal reasons which earned Morhaime his nomination were Blizzard's high standard of quality, inclusive work environment, and international success. "Morhaime has unleashed his 'inner geek,' creating a cultural phenomenon that is unparalleled in the gaming industry" said a representative of the awards. Morhaime has remained the head of Blizzard through changes in corporate ownership and was one of the original three Blizzard founders of the now 4,000 strong company.

The story of Morhaime's path to success starts with a $15,000 loan from his grandmother, written on an index card in 1991, and ends with Blizzard as it is known today. Morhaime, apparently, still has that index card in his office. Enrst & Young cites Blizzard's culture as well, describing it as a collaborative environment that fosters a sense of ownership and investment in the games among the whole company. The developers are invited to participate in the decision making process with the executive team, and the whole company is invited to give feedback on games in development.

The Entrepreneur Of The Year is an international award distributed by Ernst & Young to foster global recognition of people who "inspire others with their vision, leadership, and achievment." The Technology category is only very rarely won by a luminary from the gaming field, and usually goes to CEOs of large companies like Red Hat or LinkedIn. The awards have been distributed since 1986. Ernst & Young is a global dealer in assurance, tax, transaction, advisory, and other financial services.

Source: Ernst & Young [http://www.ey.com/US/en/Newsroom/News-releases/News_National-EOY-2012-Technology-Category-Award-Winner]

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Say what you will about the recent quality of Blizzard games, personal gripes and haters gonna hate...
Blizzard has done extraordinary things for the video games industry.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
What's he recognized as an entreprenur for? I can't tell from the article. Never mind. Congratulations to him and I will try to pick up one of his games in the future.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I swear entrepreneur used to mean somebody doing something exciting and new. The last time Blizzard did something new, I was still in diapers.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
CJ1145 said:
I swear entrepreneur used to mean somebody doing something exciting and new. The last time Blizzard did something new, I was still in diapers.
All entrepreneur means is someone who makes a business. We're talking someone who turned a $15,000 loan from his grandma into a money-earning machine. THAT is entrepreneurship.

Sep 14, 2009
Sylveria said:
Now if only he could reclaim his soul from the devil that bought it.
true.

i'll be perfectly content with admitting to blizzard being a money printing company, but beyond that i'll scoff and laugh at any talk of blizzard quality/success as of late.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
R.Nevermore said:
Say what you will about the recent quality of Blizzard games, personal gripes and haters gonna hate...
that is true and its impossible to deny it.

I however find it extremely ironic that its Ernst & Young award, knowing the company from the inside, there is not a hint at entrepreneurship inside.

WabbitTwacks

Dec 8, 2010
Strazdas said:
R.Nevermore said:

I however find it extremely ironic that its Ernst & Young award, knowing the company from the inside, there is not a hint at entrepreneurship inside.
Wait, do you actually now what that term means? They are doing business. So there is a lot of 'enterpreneurship inside'.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
WabbitTwacks said:
Strazdas said:
R.Nevermore said:

Wait, do you actually now what that term means? They are doing business. So there is a lot of 'enterpreneurship inside'.
first link on google claims: "one, who undertakes innovations, finance and business acumen in an effort to transform innovations into economic goods". They are not taking innovations and business acumen, they are pushing thier workers till they quit.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Strazdas said:
first link on google claims: "one, who undertakes innovations, finance and business acumen in an effort to transform innovations into economic goods". They are not taking innovations and business acumen, they are pushing their workers till they quit.
Have you worked for any of the other big game companies? That's just an industry standard, I'm afraid.

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
JonB said:
The principal reasons which earned Morhaime his nomination were Blizzard's high standard of quality, inclusive work environment, and international success.
Lul whut? Did the meaning of 'high standard of quality' get changed without me knowing about it because I wouldn't call Diablo III and MoP high quality products (the the only products released this year by Blizzard), both of them are no where near 'high quality' when compared to previous Blizzard games or even to other games released this year. Also the only 'success' they've had this year is to survive another half arsed 'WoW killing' MMORPG, The Old Republic, and get lots of money making their sub-standard products.

JonB said:
The story of Morhaime's path to success starts with a $15,000 loan from his grandmother, written on an index card in 1991, and ends with Blizzard as it is known today.
Well no one can say that he's an idiot when he comes to money but how does this contribute to him winning Entrepreneur of THIS YEAR?, i'll answer that question, it doesn't, this has nothing too do with what he and Blizzard have done this year.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
He deserves it. World of warcraft is basically an infinite money cheat as far as company profits are concerned.

That's probably why EA tried that old republic thing. That didn't work out so well. Neither did warfighter. Most of what they have is sports sims and sim city.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Ympulse said:
Strazdas said:
first link on google claims: "one, who undertakes innovations, finance and business acumen in an effort to transform innovations into economic goods". They are not taking innovations and business acumen, they are pushing their workers till they quit.
Have you worked for any of the other big game companies? That's just an industry standard, I'm afraid.
thats a standart for bad companies. if you look at the TOP500 companies list, around 70% would laugh at anyone suggesting to do that in thier company.

Lul whut? Did the meaning of 'high standard of quality' get changed without me knowing about it because I wouldn't call Diablo III and MoP high quality products (the the only products released this year by Blizzard), both of them are no where near 'high quality' when compared to previous Blizzard games or even to other games released this year.
I dont know your definition of high quality but it certainly conflicts with reality. Diablo III was the first game to sucesfully introduce MMO based DRM (everything done in server for single player) ever in the industry.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Despite the fact that I haven't really enjoyed anything they've put out since Warcraft 3, there's no denying that he deserves this.

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
Well that's strange. A comment meant for another thread posted here. Unrelated, I'm also getting phone calls through my webcam, and my texts are coming through the XBOX...

Anyway, hooray Blizzard? I can't wait for them to make something I'M interested in.