DJ Jazzy Jeff Joins the DJ Hero Cast

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
DJ Jazzy Jeff Joins the DJ Hero Cast

DJ Hero is getting another shot of old school flavor with the addition of DJ Jazzy Jeff, best known for his work with Will Smith when he was known as The Fresh Prince, joining the game's lineup of all-star turntablists.

Forget about innovators of the form like DJ Shadow or pioneers like Grandmaster Flash. DJ Hero's lineup of DJs just got a taste of the true freshness with the addition of DJ Jazzy Jeff, best known for his work in the late 80s and early 90s as part of hip-hop duo DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince (that's what Will Smith called himself before he called himself Will Smith).

Jeff, who you might remember better for his turn as Jazz on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in case your tastes skewed more toward sitcoms than parent-friendly rap back in the day, produced all of the duo's hits, from "Parents Just Don't Understand" to "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble," while pioneering some new techniques at the turntables.

It doesn't sound like any of his hits will be involved in his part in DJ Hero, however. In addition to being a playable character, Jeff will contribute two "exclusive mixes" to the playlist for DJ Hero that pay homage to the golden age of pop music that was the 80s: a mash-up of two stone cold classics in Tears for Fears' "Shout" and Eric B. and Rakim's "Eric B. Is President" and another mixing LL Cool J's "Rock the Bells" with The Aranbee Pop Symphony Orchestra's cover of The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony."

Jeff seems extraordinarily enthusiastic about being part of a videogame, saying that "to be a character someone can pick up the controller and select you and play is probably the biggest thing to happen to me in my career." Being a character in a game is pretty cool, sure, but don't sell yourself short, Jeff. You were on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hey, even if he did have the chance to play alongside the fantastic Alfonso Ribeiro [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfonso_Ribeiro] (and some former rapper, what was his name... Bill Swift? Eh, doesn't matter), let's not downplay his musical contributions too much. I'm sort of interested in seeing what he'll do with "Shout" and "Bittersweet Symphony", since those are two of my favorite songs.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
My interest in this now has plummeted. Jazzy Jeff is cool and deserves recognition as a DJ, but a mash-up of "Shout" and "Eric B. For President"? Yuck.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
If you play as Jazzy Jeff and do poorly, do you get a cutscene of him getting thrown out the front door by Uncle Phil?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
SimuLord said:
If you play as Jazzy Jeff and do poorly, do you get a cutscene of him getting thrown out the front door by Uncle Phil?
I would pre-order the game just for that.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
SimuLord said:
Same here. Hell I was coming into this thread to make that exact joke, glad to see someone else thought of it too.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
SimuLord said:
That's an amazing idea, seriously want that in DJ Hero.

I seriously want this game more now.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
AceDiamond said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
SimuLord said:
Same here. Hell I was coming into this thread to make that exact joke, glad to see someone else thought of it too.
That goes double for me

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
even tho this is cool, i still won't get the game. i think they need to add people like DJ Red Alert, Terminator X or Evil E

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Honestly I'm more excited about Shadow being here, but Jazzy Jeff is legendary in his own way :p