Czech President Issues Appeal For Arma 3 Devs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Czech Republic President Václav Klaus has asked the President of Greece to pay "special attention" to the case of two Arma 3 developers who are facing charges of espionage.

Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar of Arma 3 studio Bohemia Interactive were denied them bail [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119532-Greece-Busts-Game-Dev-Spies] last week.

The situation has grown dire enough that the President of the Czech Republic has issued a direct appeal to Greek President Karolos Papoulias. "I would like to address a matter of two Czech citizens who were arrested in Greece and charged with espionage," he wrote. "This case is very sensitive to the Czech public and also to me as President of the Republic. The fate of our citizens anywhere in the world matters to us."

"I have no doubt that the democratic Greek authorities - police, prosecutors and the courts - will consider this unfortunate matter impartially and independently. Even I do not in any way want to interfere with their work. I want to ask you, Mr. President, to follow this unfortunate affair with special attention considering the excellent relations between our nations so this does not throw unnecessary shade onto our relationship," he continued. "Once again, I want to assure you that I have the utmost certainty that our accused citizens will be given all the rights in the search for justice by the Greek authorities."

I'm no expert at diplomacy-speak, but I think there's a good likelihood that Klaus is actually far from certain that his guys will get a fair shake, which is what led him to intervene. It's a government's job to get involved when its citizens become embroiled in ugly messes in far-away lands, but it's a task typically left to the functionaries of the diplomatic corps. The direct involvement of the President may mean that wheels will finally begin to turn, but it could also suggest that Buchta and Pezlar's situation is far more dire than anyone suspected.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-21-president-of-czech-republic-appeals-to-greek-leader-over-jailed-arma-3-devs]

(photo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vaclav_Klaus_headshot.jpg])

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Well perhaps the Czech government should take action about its citizens going foreign countries, photographing military installations while selling military training. http://products.bisimulations.com/training

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
They are already not getting a fair shake. The authorities are just being ridiculous. I know someone who took pictures he wasn't supposed to in China, and a man from the military simply went through his camera and told him what ones to delete (three of them in total). I would say that if China is being more diplomatic, Greece is just being hard headed. Also, we all know that the Military facility on Lemnos is regarded by the government as "strategically important", but even if they were invaded they wouldn't have the budget or man power to turn away invaders. They should just drop the pretense, go through their pictures and delete the ones that they shouldn't have and send them on their merry way. At worst they should bar them from entering their country again. But Espionage charges are not legitimate at this point.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I could understand this sort of kerfluffle happening if, say, Americans blundered into Iran or North Korea. But Greece? Arresting Czech tourists for espionage? World's gone topsy-turvy these days.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh yeah the Czech Republic IS an actual country isn't it?

OT: Somebody better get Bill Clinton on the line
Pretty much this. If anyone could help negotiate their release it would be Clinton.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
I could understand this sort of kerfluffle happening if, say, Americans blundered into Iran or North Korea. But Greece? Arresting Czech tourists for espionage? World's gone topsy-turvy these days.
Isn't like 70% of Greece's business income from tourism anyways? Geez. You'd think they'd be more chillax about them.

If the Czech president is getting involved I hope this gets resolved soon. Get those guys out of there already.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Baresark said:
They are already not getting a fair shake. The authorities are just being ridiculous. I know someone who took pictures he wasn't supposed to in China, and a man from the military simply went through his camera and told him what ones to delete (three of them in total). I would say that if China is being more diplomatic, Greece is just being hard headed. Also, we all know that the Military facility on Lemnos is regarded by the government as "strategically important", but even if they were invaded they wouldn't have the budget or man power to turn away invaders. They should just drop the pretense, go through their pictures and delete the ones that they shouldn't have and send them on their merry way. At worst they should bar them from entering their country again. But Espionage charges are not legitimate at this point.
I've taken sensitive pictures I wasn't supposed to take and all I got was a verbal rollicking from the gate guard. Even got to keep the pictures and used them in my university presentation: "This is where we got accosted by an armed soldier and shouted at for ten minutes"
Certainly livened up the presentation!

On topic, it's about damn time, how long has this been going on? Also I never knew the Czech president was Stan Lee:

"When I've finished writing the Spiderman comic, I just change my glasses, rub flour in my hair, and go run an Eastern European country. It's amazing how different you look when you don't smile."

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Ultratwinkie said:
albino boo said:
Well perhaps the Czech government should take action about its citizens going foreign countries, photographing military installations while selling military training. http://products.bisimulations.com/training
Where is the evidence that this is going to training and not as inspiration to some arma III game?

Oh wait, there is none. Because this information can be found online, military secrets broadcasted to the world AND GREECE DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK.

Because Greece is a big fat joke right now. No one is going to try to invade an EU member. Ever.

To think otherwise is like thinking Russia will take over America and Europe at the same time... in 2012.

Pictures of bases? So what? Espionage is MUCH MORE COMPLEX THAN THAT. If its on google, you don't need a fucking spy for it since its not important.
Something I have repeatedly heard on the BIS forums and something to possible add is that the military installations were not the target of the footage. The photos were taken in a public area and that the initial charge against them was that they had ignored warnings and wandered into a military base (which at most is a couple of visible hangars) which as far as the scant information I can gleam was a total lie just to justify an arrest.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Here's some perspective to why I feel a bit ill reading this:

Imagine you're an American. Imagine your sister was on vacation in, say, Australia, and taking pictures for the magazine she works for while she's there.

Now, imagine you're told that she ignored warnings and trespassed on government property and is now in jail.

Now, imagine Barrack freaking Obama calls the Prime Minister of Australia and issues a pointed request that your sister get a fair trial (taps spot under eye).

This looks baaaaaaad. REEEEAL baaaaaaad.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
albino boo said:
That's as valid as saying "Well, clearly he WAS going to rob the bank, because he looked angry and works at a gun shop".

Actual EVIDENCE of this, please? You don't think they KNEW they'd be in all of the shit if they sold Greek intel to someone else? And speaking of, who's the someone else? Who in their right mind would even THINK of invading an EU member?

Finding a nifty correlation means jack until you have something concrete.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:

".... I want to ask you, Mr. President, to follow this unfortunate affair with special attention considering the excellent relations between our nations so this does not throw unnecessary shade onto our relationship..."
You know, Gandhi said something eerily similar to me in civilization just before kicking my ass.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
-Dragmire- said:
Andy Chalk said:

".... I want to ask you, Mr. President, to follow this unfortunate affair with special attention considering the excellent relations between our nations so this does not throw unnecessary shade onto our relationship..."
You know, Gandhi said something eerily similar to me in civilization just before kicking my ass.
Your vacant gaze most likely disturbed him.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
If only the Canadian government stood up for it's citizens more often when they get into trouble in other countries. It's one of our nations greatest failings of the current century.

I hope this can get resolved soon. Prehaps get the Euro Court involved in observing. They're actually a pretty fair bunch, they'll see to it no shananagins go on.
I hope these guys get out. Or at the least, receive fair trial and a leniant sentance.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
In other news, the storyline of Arma III has been changed to depict a near-future conflict on Lemnos, sparked by a breaking down of relations between Greece and the Czech Republic. At it's heart the game features a full scale assault on the local prison to break out Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar, using everything the Czechs can throw at the island.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Squilookle said:
In other news, the storyline of Arma III has been changed to depict a near-future conflict on Lemnos, sparked by a breaking down of relations between Greece and the Czech Republic. At it's heart the game features a full scale assault on the local prison to break out Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar, using everything the Czechs can throw at the island.
Considering they made a Czech dlc in arma II not long ago, it'd be an easy update as the units are done XD

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
albino boo said:
Do you have some program set to notify you whenever a thread about this happens so you can pop in and repeat the same thing despite having been told why it makes no sense by several people each time?

OT: good, maybe with some political pressure this nonsense can be resolved more quickly.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Arma 3 is not a defense. They work for a company that is known to sell military intelligence. The United States has the same law against photography of sensitive military installations(even from public areas).