Guardians of Middle Earth Review

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Guardians of Middle Earth Review

You shall not pass ... up the first true MOBA for consoles.

Read Full Article

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
Just a small error. It's Gandalf, not Gandolf. Hate to be that guy but it was bugging me. Other than that not bad for a quick and dirty review.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
DarkSpectre said:
Just a small error. It's Gandalf, not Gandolf. Hate to be that guy but it was bugging me. Other than that not bad for a quick and dirty review.
Sorry about that. Being a Tolkien guy, I'm kind of pissed I missed that typo. :(

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
While the servers are still a little rocky, this game does show great potential for other MOBAs to enter the console scene. I am really enjoying the game when I don't get D/Ced and stuff like that.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Game looks ridiculous, as far as I'm aware the War in the North game is non-canon so I don't know why characters from that are featured. Why not feature characters from Battle for Middle Earth 2?

Also why have they changed the look of some characters? Even if you're not a fan of the movies pretty much everyone agrees that PJ got the look of the world and the characters correct. The witch king looks particularly ridiculous, and little green goblins?

I don't like this at all, I feel that there will be people out there asking why some of those characters aren't mentioned in the movies or literature since they occur in 2 games.

Chris Tolkein should really be brought in for brief consultation on any game.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
DalekJaas said:
Game looks ridiculous, as far as I'm aware the War in the North game is non-canon so I don't know why characters from that are featured. Why not feature characters from Battle for Middle Earth 2?

Also why have they changed the look of some characters? Even if you're not a fan of the movies pretty much everyone agrees that PJ got the look of the world and the characters correct. The witch king looks particularly ridiculous, and little green goblins?

I don't like this at all, I feel that there will be people out there asking why some of those characters aren't mentioned in the movies or literature since they occur in 2 games.

The character one is simple: license restriction. Unless I'm mistaken, they've got the rights to the people, just not to the portrayal done by New Line. And the characters from BFME2 are under the same problem, except the one's not from the movies are EA's.

As fro how it looks ridiculous, you can either have canon balance and not get to play Gandalf, Sarumon, and all the really fun people: Or you can have game balance, and you get all kinds of epic people to play with.

Mega_Manic

Sep 11, 2012
I like MOBAs, I like lotr, but I don't think I'll touch this one. Considering how volatile this genre can make people I'd rather stick to something with text chat.

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
DalekJaas said:

No The Lord of the Rings game is canon. Not even the films are canon. The only things considered canon for tLotR are the books. They probably do not want to feature BfMEII characters because the servers for the game are shut down. Warner Brothers wants to push their more recent tLotR video game products. Also given Christopher Tolkien's extreme hatred of Warner Brothers and tLotR movies, I highly doubt that he would be willing to consult for any project done by them.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Kinda disappointed by the review. It felt like over half of the text was just explaining what a Dota-style game is.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm. I've never played a game like this. I think I might give it a try. How much does it cost?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
erttheking said:
Hm. I've never played a game like this. I think I might give it a try. How much does it cost?
Playstation blog says $15, so I assume as much for 360 as well.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Korten12 said:
erttheking said:
Playstation blog says $15, so I assume as much for 360 as well.
Ok, done deal. Any game that let's me honestly shout "KNEEL BEFORE SAURON LORD OF EVIL!" and "I AM THE WIELDER OF THE SECRET FLAME! YOU CANNOT PASS!" is doing something right. I've got 30 bucks worth of microsoft points thanks to the AC3 season pass, I can skimp out on the multiplayer maps. It's probably nowhere near as good as league of legends, but if I can actually play it on a piece of hardware that I own I can live with that.

vezon

Jun 21, 2012
I cant understand why there is a lack of mouse on consoles? Whats the reason behind it? Why limit the possibilities on consoles just because of that?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Unfortunately, the in-battle balancing act isn't as forgiving as it should be, especially in the early going. If one of your fellow players or AI-controlled counterparts gets off to a slow start, it can doom your entire battle plan. Once a teammate falls, it becomes a slippery slope, and there's often very little you can do to even the odds. This is especially true in the three-lane game variant where you'll need to leave your own local skirmish in order to keep the enemy from advancing elsewhere
So like every MOBA ever?

It's not a bug, it's a feature

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
So, in other words, there is no reason for me to drop $15 on this when I can easily just keep playing LoL for free.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
saintdane05 said:
I'm still pissed that Gollum can beat up Sauron. Really, guys, really?
My favourite moment in that game has been playing as Bilbo and beating Sauron in a one on one shortly after smashing the Witch King to pieces.