BioWare Hints at Big Things in Next Mass Effect 3 DLC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

BioWare says it's "all hands on deck" for the next Mass Effect 3 expansion.

Commander Shepard's story arc may be over, but the Mass Effect 3 DLC train just keeps on rolling. Omega [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/6562-Mass-Effect-3-Omega-Launch-Trailer] launched last week, detailing the effort to retake the lawless space station from the forces of Cerberus, and now it sounds like the next expansion will be even bigger.

"It's all hands on deck for this one. Pretty much every ME3 DLC writer here in Edmonton is involved. (which would include both Patrick Weekes AND John Dombrow)," level designer Jos Hendriks wrote on the BioWare forums [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/12486978/112#15028852]. "If my math skills are correct, [that means] eight," he added in a later message.

BioWare voiceover producer Caroline Livingstone, meanwhile, revealed on tweeted [https://twitter.com/CabLivingstone/status/273184841040805888] all the way back in October that he was back in the studio as well and since no squaddies appeared in Omega, the assumption is that the return was to work on the next DLC release.

More recently, composer Sam Hulick stated on his own Twitter feed that he's also involved in the project. "What I'm up to lately: working on an unannounced Mass Effect 3 DLC! More details on this coming later on," he wrote yesterday [https://twitter.com/SamHulick/status/276049651684229121]. "High potential for tears."

And speaking of "all hands," composer Sascha Dikiciyan clarified earlier today that he and partner Cris Velasco are working on the score too. "We and Sam and doing a 5050 split. It's more than the usual dlcs," he wrote [https://twitter.com/sonicmayhem/status/276368960075735041].

Neither BioWare nor EA have announced anything at this point but based on data gleaned from previous DLC releases, the next Mass Effect 3 expansion is expected to be centered on the Citadel.

via: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-05-bioware-all-hands-on-deck-for-new-mass-effect-3-dlc]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
IT or bust at this point. If they pull it off I'll consider sucking in my pride and getting Origin for this. ONLY if.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
And yet....that ending.

I kid! I kid!......kinda. See even though the ending had it's issues that's not the problem regarding the DLC, the problem for me is that it was THE ending y'know? They can release DLC but in the end none of it affects the overall ending of the game that I've already seen. Makes it kinda hard for me to be that enthused about the DLC, as interesting as it sounds.

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
IT or bust at this point. If they pull it off I'll consider sucking in my pride and getting Origin for this. ONLY if.
You pretty much summed it up right there buddy.

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Now they're trying to make sure the game NEVER ends.
As long as I get to keep putting Shepard's boot up Reaper asses with bigger and cooler(boots)guns, I'll gladly hold off ending the game to keep playin.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
TopazFusion said:
anthony87 said:
And yet....that ending.

I kid! I kid!......kinda. See even though the ending had it's issues that's the problem regarding the DLC, the problem for me is that it was THE ending y'know? They can release DLC but in the end none of it affects the overall ending of the game that I've already seen. Makes it kinda hard for me to be that enthused about the DLC, as interesting as it sounds.
Exactly what I was going to say.

This story arc is already over. So to keep shoehorning extra unimportant bits into it just seems like a waste of time.
Was gonna say that too, why would I have to invest a lot of money in these expensive DLCs if everything I did was for nothing?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I hope it's where Sheperd has to embark on a series of convoluted mission in order to overcome his/her crippling lack of rhythm and win a dance contest against a reanimated and indoctrinated James Brown.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
I hope it's where Sheperd has to embark on a series of convoluted mission in order to overcome his/her crippling lack of rhythm and win a dance contest against a reanimated and indoctrinated James Brown.
I would buy that, but it should add in a choice at the end to ignore all the choices and challenge the reapers to a dance off

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
zdog jr said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
I would buy that, but it should add in a choice at the end to ignore all the choices and challenge the reapers to a dance off
Nah, the new ending choice will be to engage the Reapers in a Rap Battle, because Bioware are all about appealing to new demographics these days.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I said it in another thread: I want new squad members. Need someone new to chat up. On that note, also please stop having Shepard speak on his own. It's incredibly cringe-inducing. But yeah, there's a lot of space on the Normandy where someone can hang out: Lower engineering, life support, that walled-off room where Jacob used to be in ME2.

And can we please make the end choice of Mass Effect 2 matter in some way other than changing the decor of a single room a little? Seriously, everyone just knew that choice would be a huge deal. There were tons of threads here about that single choice alone. And it really ended up amounting to next to nothing.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:

Neither BioWare nor EA have announced anything at this point but based on data gleaned from previous DLC releases, the next Mass Effect 3 expansion is expected to be centered on the Citadel.
Hey, maybe the Citadel Defense Force will finally do something then!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Tsaba said:
here's to hoping the ending was just really a bad dream.
The entire series past the point where Sheperd gets zapped by the first Prothean beacon is a hallucinatory episode caused by the beacon forcing alien information into his/her brain.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
My god Bioware, I mean, my god. You're really trying to hammer this series into the ground. I mean, the asinine ending aside, clipping in as much DLC as you can into your story-based game is not the best idea. I'm actually interested to see the ratios between those who bought Mass Effect 3 and those who purchased the DLC. I get a feeling there's a pretty constant downward trend in their consumer base.

To quote Joss Whedon: "You have to know at what point mouth-to-mouth becomes necrophilia."

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
DustyDrB said:
I said it in another thread: I want new squad members. Need someone new to chat up. On that note, also please stop having Shepard speak on his own. It's incredibly cringe-inducing. But yeah, there's a lot of space on the Normandy where someone can hang out: Lower engineering, life support, that walled-off room where Jacob used to be in ME2.

And can we please make the end choice of Mass Effect 2 matter in some way other than changing the decor of a single room a little? Seriously, everyone just knew that choice would be a huge deal. There were tons of threads here about that single choice alone. And it really ended up amounting to next to nothing.
At this point, they may as well go whole-hog and just make a whole expansion pack. New squadmates integrated into the main game, more armor/weapons, content and a redone ending. It's about the only thing they have left at this point, considering how fractured the fanbase still is, even after nine months.

Considering we're in a year where Bethesda has put out two $20 packs that have far, far more content, weapons, encounters and gameplay areas than anyone else could dream up, Bioware really needs to step their game up and stop delivering these middling missions that have little relevance to anything else.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I don't see why Bioware doesn't just make an alternate ending DLC at this point. They had THEIR shitty conclusion. I don't care if they even plaster "THIS. IS. NOT. CANON." All up and down the thing. If they made a quality conclusion and released it as DLC, of course there'd be a huge hissy fit over it.

There's no denying however, it'd be THE best selling DLC of the year.

I know it, you know it, I can't perceive Bioware not knowing it.