Let's Watch The Man Of Steel Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Let's Watch The Man Of Steel Trailer

MovieBob breaks down the new Man of Steel trailer frame by frame.

Read Full Article

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
In case anyone's wondering, the music for the first half is from immortals and the 2nd half is from Elizabeth the golden age.

bigdork

Nov 9, 2010
Laurence Fishburne (playing Daily Planet editor Perry White, which I'm sure someone is going to find inexplicably infuriating)

That might be me, actually. Not because he's black, just because newspeople shouldn't be so damn cryptic. I don't want to have to swallow a pill to see the news for myself.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Amy Adams looking like Amy Adams is never, ever a bad thing. Also, I'm pretty sure you were spot on about the reasoning behind costume details being for HD. That, and I think designers feel it looks more "modern" and "flashy" than your typical established costumes.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Amy Adams looking like Amy Adams is never, ever a bad thing. Also, I'm pretty sure you were spot on about the reasoning behind costume details being for HD. That, and I think designers feel it looks more "modern" and "flashy" than your typical established costumes.
No no no the whole point of fancy costumes with way to much detail is to really piss of the cosplayers by 1. making the not the original costume look better, an 2. really piss off anyone trying to replicate it.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
movie looks fine, but i just cant seem to give a crap about the villain... am i the only one who is just over Zod stories? i feel like this is a throw away villain... lets have superman fight... evil... superman... again... bleh

LordBojangles

Feb 25, 2009
If I had to guess, 1:57 is a fisherman casting his net whilst Kal-El's baby basket (or some other spacecraft) enters Earth's atmosphere.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
2 things: First, that scene you can't figure out is him casting a net from a boat.
Second, all costumes have to look more stylized so that they're not seen as spandex, because spandex is the dumbest thing about comic book super heroes. I really have to thank X-men for stopping that trend, and the Sam Raimi Spider-man for pointing out that its kind of ridiculous

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
This movie is gonna be AWESOME!!! Superman really deserves a good movie. But since this is being made by Snyder, I bet this will be the best super hero movie ever. Sorry guys, but I just LOVE Zack Snyder. He's my favorite director alive and I almost jizzed when I heard about the new Superman movie having him at the helm. Everything he's made has been pure gold (for me, at least). I remember my mother's face when I showed her Guardians of Ga'Hoole, priceless (she loves owls). He can handle any action scene and turn it into an epic moment. We know that the actors are also perfect, I guess nobody has any complaint about the main actor, so... the only reason this could fail is the script being made by retarded monkeys (such as... you know... the ones that wrote The Dark Knight Rises).

My only fear is that Superman is so well known and will attract such a huge crowd in the wake of the latest superhero movie line-up, that the producers will need to care for the dumb crowds, which means that Snyder will basically have to be put on a leash, lest he may active the fat lazy neurons of Sunday overthinkers and cause them brain damage.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Kwil said:
Devin Barker said:
movie looks fine, but i just cant seem to give a crap about the villain... am i the only one who is just over Zod stories? i feel like this is a throw away villain... lets have superman fight... evil... superman... again... bleh
What else is he gonna fight then? Remember, Superman in a straight up brawl with Just About Anyone = Known Outcome. That's why Lex was always involved in these massive, grandiose schemes -- so that simply pummeling him wouldn't solve it.

OT: I *like* the bearded look for Supes. Plus it answers one of the questions for me, how does an invulnerable person shave?

Metallo, Darkseid, Mongul, Ultra-Humanite, army of toy man robots... there are tons of other option that are not "another evil Kryptonian" Zod has been done to death and with a hero who has so many villains, why are we sticking with the same ones we've seen over and over?

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Devin Barker said:
Kwil said:
Devin Barker said:
What else is he gonna fight then? Remember, Superman in a straight up brawl with Just About Anyone = Known Outcome. That's why Lex was always involved in these massive, grandiose schemes -- so that simply pummeling him wouldn't solve it.

OT: I *like* the bearded look for Supes. Plus it answers one of the questions for me, how does an invulnerable person shave?

Metallo, Darkseid, Mongul, Ultra-Humanite, army of toy man robots... there are tons of other option that are not "another evil Kryptonian" Zod has been done to death and with a hero who has so many villains, why are we sticking with the same ones we've seen over and over?
I've really only seen Zod in "Superman 2" and "To Boldly Flee". And "To Boldly Flee" was an amateur parody movie made by a bunch of internet critics. Actually, I think I remember Zod showing up in the Superman animated TV series.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
1. Yeah, Cavill does fit the part of Superman in the looks department. He's got the strong jaw, the rugged face without looking too rugged, and he's got the build. Also, the beard is fine, get the fuck over it.

2. On the costume: spandex looks STUPID in live-action. It doesn't make the character look imposing, but rather silly in a bad way. The MoS suit just looks BETTER.

3. I think about the tone this way: ya know what ALSO had a very somber, serious tone and yet was practically unmatched in sheer spectacle? Kingdom Come, one of the GREATEST limited series in the past twenty years. I ain't worried about the tone getting in the way of the spectacle of Superman.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
So far, as a huge Superman fan, I'm quite optimistic about the film. I hope it's not too gritty, there should be some lightness to it, but we'll only know that when it comes out.

One thing does bug me though and that is the take off at 1.30. I always liked how he flew in the animated series, like there was no effort as he glided through the sky.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
MovieBob said:
Getting a sinking feeling that whatever this thing is, it will also turn out to be the thing that destroyed Krypton ... and that said destruction will turn out to have been a deliberate act of villainy, which would be another instance of missing the point of the story.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm of the understanding that the destruction of Krypton in the comics is a deliberate act of villainy - specifically, the act of Brainiac, doing what Brainiac does. Is that not the case?

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Storm Dragon said:
Devin Barker said:
Kwil said:
Devin Barker said:

I've really only seen Zod in "Superman 2" and "To Boldly Flee". And "To Boldly Flee" was an amateur parody movie made by a bunch of internet critics. Actually, I think I remember Zod showing up in the Superman animated TV series.
Kwil said:
Devin Barker said:
In order: "Who?" "Okay, heard of him" "Who?" "Who?" "LOL.. seriously?"
Remember, they're making this movie to make money.. that is, get a mass audience. They've got limited time, so Zod is great because you don't have to explain how he *also* has super powers, whereas any of these other guys and you're looking at at least a 15 minute origin story being required (which, by the way, further strains your suspension of belief), and then on top of that, if you want the story to have any sort of personal connection, you have to throw in the motivation as to why they're up against Supes. Zod has various possibilities for that already baked in.

Not to mention that, as Bob points out, this whole thing is operating under the shadow of the first Superman movies.. well.. as long as your under there, why not use some of that stuff since it's already built into your audience.
Do you really think they are not going to go over Zod's background? they are also going to waste a bunch of time going over Supermans background as well. If we have to do backstory, why not make it a villain people are less familiar with. As for making money, no one is coming to see Zod, the villain can be anyone people are coming to see superman (and maybe the dude PLAYING Zod, but not the character himself) and all of the villains I've mentioned have just as much against supes as Zod. My problem is any time a non comic gets ahold of supes the first idea is to throw him against more Kryptonians (hell even in comics they cant get away from it, and it still bugs. new 52 made and all new Kryptonian named H'el and its getting old fast). My problem is there is nothing fresh about this except the "dark tone" why not go a little out of the way to pull out a more festive villain with a richer background that does not boil down to "family issues"

As for him being in other works Storm Dragon, he you are right about those 2, but he was also the villain for an entire season (and a few random eps) of Smallville

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
krellen said:
MovieBob said:
Getting a sinking feeling that whatever this thing is, it will also turn out to be the thing that destroyed Krypton ... and that said destruction will turn out to have been a deliberate act of villainy, which would be another instance of missing the point of the story.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm of the understanding that the destruction of Krypton in the comics is a deliberate act of villainy - specifically, the act of Brainiac, doing what Brainiac does. Is that not the case?
What caused the destruction of Krypton changes every couple years in the comics. Kinda annoying, really. At first it was just natural causes that destroyed Krypton. In the animated series, Brainiac didn't cause it, but he was the reason nobody believed Jor-El when he said the planet was doomed. But yeah, before the New 52 reboot, Brainiac was what caused it. No word on what caused it post-Flashpoint, I think. Haven't really kept up with the New 52.