SOE Won't Rule Out Planetside 2 for PS3

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
SOE Won't Rule Out Planetside 2 for PS3

Could Sony be prepared to bring two free-to-play shooters to the PS3?

Sony Online Entertainment recent free-to-play FPS release, Planetside 2, may not officially be headed to the PS3 quite yet, but the company certainly isn't publicly ruling it out. In speaking with the Official Playstation Magazine, SOE President John Smedley reveals some interesting statistics regarding the company's titles, and drops a hint at what is in store for the future.

"SOE has proven we can bring our games to the PS3. 70% of [DC Universe Online] revenue comes from PS3," Smedley explains. And when asked whether Planetside 2 could end up on Sony's home console, he answers in a predictably cryptic manner. "What I'd say is - SOE has proven that we can bring our games to the PS3, and it's fair to say that we've got some other stuff out there cooking. I can't tell you what platforms it's for, but we're really excited about it."

If the company's latest title does indeed make a PlayStation debut, it wouldn't exactly be surprising; Both Free Realms and DC Universe Online have already made the jump. Of course, bringing Planetside 2 to the console could cannibalize adoption of Dust 514, Sony's other free-to-play shooter, which is currently in beta on PS3.

Source: Official PlayStation Magazine [http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2012/12/18/70-of-our-revenue-comes-from-ps3-says-soe-president-john-smedley-planetside-2-soe-has-proven-we-can-bring-our-games-to-ps3/]

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
MikeWehner said:
If the company's latest title does indeed make a PlayStation debut, it wouldn't exactly be surprising; Both Free Realms and DC Universe Online have already made the jump. Of course, bringing Planetside 2 to the console could cannibalize adoption of Dust 514, Sony's other free-to-play shooter, which is currently in beta on PS3.
I'm not sure it's accurate to call DUST a Sony game. It may be on the PS3, and Sony may have their sticky fingers in the pie, but I'm pretty sure that CCP (the makers of Eve Online) are the driving force behind it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Heh, yeah, no.
The way it runs now, the PS3 has nowhere near the power to run the game properly. Not in GPU grunt nor RAM. Seriously, this game needs a metric fuckton of RAM. They'd have to gut the game something fierce to make an ancient piece of equipment like a PS3 run it. Or optimize their game, because that might work too.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
Denamic said:
Heh, yeah, no.
The way it runs now, the PS3 has nowhere near the power to run the game properly. Not in GPU grunt nor RAM. Seriously, this game needs a metric fuckton of RAM. They'd have to gut the game something fierce to make an ancient piece of equipment like a PS3 run it. Or optimize their game, because that might work too.

Pretty much this. When I run PS2 at 1080p with max settings it uses around 3.5-4GB of RAM alone.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah right, Planetside 2 can't run on the crappy 6 year old hardware we call a Playstation 3.
Well it might if it ran on 320x400 with 1 fov and 90% of the screen covered by guns.
It's probably just a spin off.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
70% of their revenue comes from the PS3? They must be pretty close to folding, then--I can't remember the last time I talked to someone who had a PS3.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
I'll be amazed if the game lasts long enough for them to move ahead with the plan. I tried playing over last weekend and the pops were too low for there to be any good fights. On a Saturday at primetime on the east coast.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
itsthesheppy said:
I'll be amazed if the game lasts long enough for them to move ahead with the plan. I tried playing over last weekend and the pops were too low for there to be any good fights. On a Saturday at primetime on the east coast.
You must be incredibly unlucky then. I've never had a time where I couldn't find a fight. I got on at 4am central time this morning, and was finding good battles.

Subtitled

Aug 17, 2011
I remember watching an interview with one of the devs the other day in which he hinted at a possible release on the PS4, which would sound a lot more plausible in terms of hardware. The only question then would be if PS2 is still relevant by the time the PS4 launches.

In any case, I hope to be finally be getting a desktop here soon, so I'll be joining the fight regardless.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
itsthesheppy said:
You must be incredibly unlucky then. I've never had a time where I couldn't find a fight. I got on at 4am central time this morning, and was finding good battles.
FelixG said:
itsthesheppy said:
...Are you on the right server?

If you are on a west or EU server you are missing the primetimes. I was on Mattherson last night and we had massive battles.

OT: Please PLEASE throw them into the general population, I could use easy kills :3
8PM EST, just hopped onto Mattherson to look for some good fights.

Best prospect was a continent VS have 50% pop on. The other two conts were high pop (20%+ pop difference) for the other two empires respectively.

Absolute primetime, no even fights. It took PS1 four-five years to get to that state. PS2 got there in a month. Very disappointing.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Denamic said:
Heh, yeah, no.
Or if the PS4 is about a year away they could be planning it on that system :)

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
FelixG said:
itsthesheppy said:
That isnt quite true.

Planetside 1 faced a similar problem when it was released, in the days before the Lattice people were spread all over the freaking place and had little direction, they added the Lattice network and that directed the people from one battlefield to the next, and pushed people off continents once they were taken.

PS2 is suffering some really unfortunate growing pains in that regard, which is rather stupid as they are repeating mistakes made in the FIRST planetside which they should have learned from.
Lattice was in PS1 from launch. I would know, I was there. :)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
uncanny474 said:
70% of their revenue comes from the PS3? They must be pretty close to folding, then--I can't remember the last time I talked to someone who had a PS3.
Not really, a lot of people have PS3's in fact it's closing in on the 360 (whether or not thats true now with black Friday's sales.)

The PS3 has actually been doing quite well.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
FelixG said:
That isnt quite true.

Planetside 1 faced a similar problem when it was released, in the days before the Lattice people were spread all over the freaking place and had little direction, they added the Lattice network and that directed the people from one battlefield to the next, and pushed people off continents once they were taken.

PS2 is suffering some really unfortunate growing pains in that regard, which is rather stupid as they are repeating mistakes made in the FIRST planetside which they should have learned from.
First of all, what's Lattice?
Never Played Planetside 1

Second of all, if you are talking about continent locks, which they haven't got(yet) that'll be implemented when they get more continents.
They don't want people experiencing being locked out of all three continents and not being able to play on their servers.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
FelixG said:
Magefeanor said:
FelixG said:
That isnt quite true.

First of all, what's Lattice?
Never Played Planetside 1

Second of all, if you are talking about continent locks, which they haven't got(yet) that'll be implemented when they get more continents.
They don't want people experiencing being locked out of all three continents and not being able to play on their servers.

See the lines connecting the circles (bases)? that is the Lattice.

Its purpose was to dictate lines of advance, you couldnt jump past a base on the Lattice lines to capture until the next base along the line was captured. But what could be done was jumping past to destroy assets such as the generator in bases behind the lines to deny benefits to the base being defended, or to make the next defense in the line.

It also served to give the Zerg focus, they knew where they had to go next to take the fight to the enemy, allowing for more focused battles, bringing the opposing zergs together in massive field battles between the bases, where air and armor thrived, then when it got to the bases the infantry thrived as damn near everything was indoors and the spawn rooms couldn't be camped by air, vehicles, ect.

Edit: I also should add that instead of every continent having a permanent gate for every empire, they connected through to other continents and connected the entire lattice together across the world.
I see, that seems to make it a lot more interesting.
Out of all the zergs I've been in now only once have two zergs met each other.
I hope they'll implement that in the game in future.

And thanks for the explanation, makes me regret I never played the first one.