Borderlands Hands On

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Borderlands Hands On

We partake in the simple pleasures of Gearbox Software's stylish FPS-RPG, where wild midgets run rampant and shoot-n-loot is the order of the day.

"Loot" is one of those magical words in gaming - it belongs with "headshot," "achievement" and "level up" in that lexicon of terms that'll give any gamer - World of Warcraft or Diablo players especially - that warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Borderlands, Gearbox Software's recently made over [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90865-Borderlands-Gets-A-New-Look] FPS-RPG, is trying to grab hold of that feeling, but it's taking a different approach from either of those games. Sure, there are plenty of treasure chests to open in Borderlands, but otherwise you're not going to be slashing down demons and skeletons and hoping they drop something with a colored name (Gearbox and 2K say there are hundreds of thousands of randomly generated weapons). No - you shoot them. In the face.

Which sort of makes Borderlands a cross between Fallout 3, WoW and Diablo. It's got the first-person shooting, open-world structure and post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout (though it takes a more cartoony and light-hearted approach to the theme), the rhythm of WoW's quest chains, and the skill trees, character building, and of course, compulsive loot whoring of Diablo.

The formula worked effectively in the hour or so I spent with Borderlands' single-player campaign. I trekked across a few areas of the vast game world of Pandora, taking on quest chains given by a few NPCs that had me doing "kill X amount of animals" and "gather X amount of items" tasks before culminating in a boss fight.

Sounds simplistic in terms of quest design, but this was the very beginning of the game and the action is what's supposed to pull it along. For each kill you get, you earn general experience as well as proficiency in a particular firearm (submachine guns, pistols, shotguns, etc). Level ups grant you more health and power, while boosting proficiencies earn you better accuracy and power.

It was kinda dull and a bit aggravating because my proficiencies were so low that half my shots missed, at least until I finally unlocked my first skill point, which gave me the ability to spawn a turret with a forcefield that would take down enemies while providing me with cover. It added a nice wrinkle of strategy to the game's shoot-n-loot formula.

Skills played a much bigger role in my time with Borderlands' four-player co-op mode, where I actually got to take a look at the real role-playing side of this FPS-RPG. In Borderlands players can pick from four classes: a soldier who focuses on either offense, support or healing (which is done with "healing bullets"), a Hunter who specializes in swords and snipers, a Rogue-like "siren" class who can go invisible, and the tank archetype, which is what I chose.

A quick glance at his skill tree revealed the only possible choice for me: a melee-oriented "berserker" path that lets you run into the fray and pound fists into bad guys (all the while having an auto-heal) by alternating left and right trigger presses to punch. Borderlands' co-op certainly isn't Left 4 Dead from what I could tell - the team strategy was basically down to everyone sticking together, killing all the bad dudes and healing occasionally. But running around smashing midgets and giant spiders in the face while my teammates doused them in flames using explosive bullets? And then picking up the loot in the post-carnage free-for-all? Yeah, it was a simple pleasure but an exhilarating one.

Aside from the melee abilities, it didn't really feel like playing the tank was any different from playing the soldier, which I did in single-player. All classes can use all the guns, so I was this hulking dude using a sniper rifle, which my WoW experience tells me should only be for the damage-dealers and not the tanks. There wasn't much sense of distinct team or class dynamics playing against each other, but you know, that was never really the case for Diablo, either. I didn't get to test the other classes or skill trees, but it seems that Borderlands is all about just killin' things and gettin' items. Nothing wrong with that, and the game seems to have that part down pat, though I wonder if it can hold up in the long run. I'll say this at least: as far as current gen loot-intensive games go, it's looking better than Too Human. So there, that bullet's been dodged.

Look for Borderlands on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 on October 23.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
i remember a demo they did i while back. he used a dev code and all of a sudden, thousands of weapons fell from the sky. he tried out random weapons he found on the ground. it was insane!!!!

kewlrabbit

Aug 6, 2008
The visual style kind of reminds me of XIII. Very cool, not enough games have graphics like that.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
This game sounds pretty damn good. Isn't it supposed to have shit loads of weapons?
Yeah, weapons have randomly generated attributes (like in Diablo), so the possibilities are pretty huge.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
This game sounds pretty damn good. Isn't it supposed to have shit loads of weapons?
Yeah, weapons have randomly generated attributes (like in Diablo), so the possibilities are pretty huge.
Pure awesome.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Only problem I see is if you land crap attributes that don't help the traits of those who commonly use the weapon.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Ok, you've sold me. I am now officially picking up this game. Maybe it'll satisfy me until activision lose enough asshat points to drop the price of MW2 3 months after its release.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
X of Y?
I never like such quests in the long run. When someone in Oblivion gave me such a quest I instantly killed that guy.

But I suppose shooters are always kill Y, so such quests probably won't be too noticeable.
We'll see, I suppose.

joe182

Feb 18, 2005
Damn, Q3/4 of this year will be awesome... Arkham Asylum, MW2 and now this...
I call the electric-shooting Sniper Rifle with the Revolver style reload system that was shown in one of the demos... That gun is mine bitchezzz.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I'm gonna go make a thread about this on the Gearbox forums, unless one of you beat me. Then we shall enter, THUNDERDOME!

Nice to hear it is indeed better than Too Human. I think that's the first time someone definitively say that.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
This game sounds pretty good, and it'll be refreshing to get a shit ton of weapons instead of maybe 10 or 12 of the same ol' thing.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
CountFenring said:
I'm gonna go make a thread about this on the Gearbox forums, unless one of you beat me. Then we shall enter, THUNDERDOME!

Nice to hear it is indeed better than Too Human. I think that's the first time someone definitively say that.
I don't think it was really that hard to top. Though, to be honest, I was one of the few people who liked Too Human.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
You mean...
I CAN GET PHAT LEWTZ?
I will await this game.
But for now I'll have to rely on my green items in Diablo to give me that greed fulfilling feeling.
But I don't want it to subscribe to WoW style quests, the Diablo quests were much more interesting... and there were un-labeled "cave sidequests" where you could try to get more loot.

Anyway, it looks interesting and I may get this instead of Diablo III due to the ridiculous computer specs needed.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Keane Ng said:
In Borderlands players can pick from three classes: a soldier who focuses on either offense, support or healing (which is done with "healing bullets"), a Rogue-like "siren" class who can go invisible, and the tank archetype, which is what I chose.
Just a quick note, there's also a 'Hunter' class, that deals more with sniping. He also has a pet bird of some sort.