1982 Commodore 64 Demo Celebrates Pixelated Christmas

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
1982 Commodore 64 Demo Celebrates Pixelated Christmas

Thirty years ago, Commodore gave the gift of hi-res graphics and sound synthesis.

It seems laughably primative compared to modern technology, but in 1982 the Commodore 64 was one of the most successful and powerful computers on the market. The push for big sales during the holiday season was no different three decades ago, and Commodore made a major effort to promote its product as a must-have gift. To do so, it created the demo shown in the video, which was provided to dealers in order to show off the graphical and computing power of the Commodore 64. The demo celebrates Christmas in pixelated style, concluding by touting features like "hi-res graphics" and "64K memory."

The holiday spirit didn't end there for the C64; several Christmas-themed games were released throughout the 1980s for the system, like animated story Merry Christmas in 1989 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0MUffsaGWsg]. While these aren't exactly remembered as classic titles of the era, they're kind of charming in retrospect. As one commenter notes, "Every year we owned a Commodore 64 my family would gather around the TV and load up this: Jingle Disk. It's a silly little story and animation with chiptups renditions of some holiday classics."

Holiday-themed games aren't limited to the Commodore 64, but I can't recall any modern publishers making Christmas tech demos to appeal to customers. Until Christmas games become popular again, we'll just have to settle for getting a visit from Jingle on Toy Day [http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Jingle].

Source: Rhizome [http://rhizome.org/editorial/2012/dec/18/prosthetic-knowledge-picks-commodore-christmas-dem/]

angryfinger

Jan 21, 2009
considering how a lot of game devs would have grown up with these computers its amazing they could be bothered

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Ah, now that brings back memories of years long gone. (Hugs MSD SD2.) I used to watch this on the original C64.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I find it amazing that we have phones more powerful then that console. You can get quad core phones now.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
I find it amazing that we have phones more powerful then that console. You can get quad core phones now.
Technically it is actually a PC not a console.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Evil Smurf said:
Nothing amazing about it when you consider the 30 year gap.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Man, I miss my commodore. I played the shit out of that thing between the ages of 3 and 9. Even though I never saw this demo, the graphics and music make my quite nostalgic.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Some of my favorite music is from this era as well as some of my favorite games.

And the demo gave me some pretty severe nostalgia.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Holiday-themed games aren't limited to the Commodore 64, but I can't recall any modern publishers making Christmas tech demos to appeal to customers.
Last one I remember was Christmas Nights on the Sega Saturn. What a wonderful game that was.

Indeed, we don't get any Christmas themed games anymore, unless it were to be a tie-in to some God-awful children's movie.

Captcha: Am I Happy?

Well, I dunno, I've been off the medication for several weeks now...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Hardly impressive even by Commodore 64 demo standards; all of the backgrounds were even made out of the stock keyboard characters. But, eh, it was a launch title. You know what those are like. ;)