Activision Unveils DJ Hero Renegade Edition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Unveils DJ Hero Renegade Edition

DJ Hero Renegade Edition [http://www.activision.com], a super-deluxe version of the game with exclusive hardware and a two-disc CD set by Jay-Z and Eminem.

The Renegade Edition of DJ Hero will include a special "Renegade turntable controller" with metal controls and a premium finish, as well as a hard-shell carrying case that converts into a "performance-ready DJ stand." Also included will be an exclusive 2-disc set featuring Jay-Z and Eminem, with unreleased tracks and a case designed by noted street artist Shepard Fairey [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_Fairey].

The hardware isn't yet available for preorder and Activision hasn't revealed pricing, but given that the standard edition is listed for $120 at GameStop [http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=dj%20hero], it's a good bet that this thing will push the $200 mark. How about it, DJ Heroes? How much more are you willing to spend to be a Renegade?

DJ Hero is scheduled for release on October 27 for the Wii [http://www.xbox.com].

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Looks pretty pointless to me.

Is anyone on the Escapist actually going to buy this?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Ollie596 said:

*Raises hand*
Maybe just for the sake of saying I could be one of the best dj heros in the world, because I'm the ony one buying it xD

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Looks interesting I guess. I might check it out, but, since I could buy 2 games for the same price as the normal one, I'm going to make sure it is worth it.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Ollie596 said:

Hells yeah!. Not sure I'll buy this premium ed., but defiently getting this game. As much as it may pain most people here, not everyone is an uber fan of Rock. While I enjoy my GH and have learned to appreciate some new songs I never heard of before, quite honestly there are some tracks that just grate on me as 'noise' and some track packs I will never buy. To each his own.

As a child of the 80's myself growing up with actual music video's on MTV, I used to love MTV Raps and a lot of old skool stuff. So count me in big time. The idea of scratching Herbie Hancock's "Rock It" and some Eric B. & Rakim back in my day...oh yeah!!!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Scratch, press two buttons, scratch, press two buttons, scratch scratch press three buttons.

...Yaaay? I can't seem to understand why would anyone want that. At least Guitar Hero/Rock Band gives you the ability to eee... fake playing a guitar, so people might want to try and learn to play the real one. Here? ;d

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
Don't scoff at this guys. There were tons of people at E3 who told me they thought DJ Hero could be as big as GH, or even bigger.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Why are they using the same lettering? Wasn't that font supposed to be 'rocky'? I would have at least thought they'd go with something more urban for the logo.

The controller looks sort of clumsy though, if you understand what I mean.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Alone Disciple said:
As a child of the 80's myself growing up with actual music video's on MTV, I used to love MTV Raps and a lot of old skool stuff. So count me in big time. The idea of scratching Herbie Hancock's "Rock It" and some Eric B. & Rakim back in my day...oh yeah!!!
Don't get overexcited now. Everyone "dream song" isn't on Rock Band so likewise, your probably not gonna get a lot of "old skool" stuff. The fact that Jay-Z and Eminem are the ones promoting this rather than real DJ's (Carl Cox anyone?) is a good indicator where this is headed...

hansari

May 31, 2009
By the way, here is the set list

http://www.djhero.com/music/

You can find the names of artists they will be showcasing as well as gameplay clips...

GreatVladmir

May 25, 2008
Why is it called "Renegade" Edition? What are you some sort of renegade DJ going agaisnt the DJ establishment? But seriously, Gituar Hero was fun because you can play with mates like in a band, but DJ's asalitary creatures so I'm guessing it single-player. Also, its got music by Eminem and Jay-Z, I would so fork over £120 to pretend to be a deuch.

Sorry, but I feel these types of games only work for music made in bands.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
hansari said:
By the way, here is the set list

http://www.djhero.com/music/

You can find the names of artists they will be showcasing as well as gameplay clips...
Well, they do have Black Eyed Peas and Gorillaz... But it's not really worth it just for 2 good groups and mediocre "others".

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
It's difficult enough to play Rock Band while drunk, how do they expect anyone to DJ while they just took a hit of E?

findler

Jun 19, 2009
Shamanic Enzan said:
Does that controller only have 3 buttons? What's easy mode? Turning on the game?
It's gotta be... I don't get this, even beginner DJ's in real life have at least 2 turntables. I have a DJ program on my computer that simulates having turntables and stuff, alot more buttons and effects than this game obviously doesn't have. Oh yeah and I saved myself $120 with that.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Shamanic Enzan said:
Does that controller only have 3 buttons? What's easy mode? Turning on the game?
I've tried this game. The interesting thing is that each mode is completely the same, but the difficulty settings are impressive. For Easy mode you play the song normally. Norm = 1 hit of E. Hard = 2 hits of E. Insane = 3 hits of E.

73loup

Jul 1, 2009
This may just be my ignorance regarding mixing/DJing, but is there any realism to this? To me it doesn't seem like 3 buttons on the table have a realistic analog. I

Ranis

Dec 15, 2008
This seems like a new low for humanity in my head
but i guess some blasphemous people actually like this side of the music spectrum

honestly i kinda hope this gets big to get kids off listening to songs from guitar hero