Scientists Developing Tornado Power Plant

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Scientists Developing Tornado Power Plant

The completed design could be one of the cheapest forms of energy around.

A group of Canadian scientists are working on a power plant that will use a controlled tornado to drive turbines, and they're calling it the Atmospheric Vortex Engine (AVE). Essentially, the AVE works by pulling hot, humid, low air into itself and creating a vortex - approximately the way a tornado works, this air makes a major temperature difference between the engine and the atmosphere above, making a vortex extending into the atmosphere. The finished plant would have a diameter of about 100 meters, and would produce 200 megawatts of electrical power. That's about the same as a traditional coal-fired fossil fuel plant. Comparably, the AVE wouldn't produce any carbon emissions and wouldn't require a fuel storage facility. It's estimated that the AVE would cost about 3 cents per kilowatt hour, which ranks it among the cheapest forms of energy.

The idea was created by an engineer named Louis Michaud from Western University, and is being funded by the Thiel Foundation. "The power of a tornado is undisputed," said Louis Michaud. "My work has established the principles by which we can control and exploit that power to provide clean energy on an unprecedented scale. With the funding from Breakout Labs, we are building a prototype in partnership with Lambton College to demonstrate the feasibility and safety of the atmospheric vortex engine."

Source: Breakout Labs [http://vortexengine.ca/index.shtml]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/eve/science.php]

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think you spelled it AWE in the middle there, although you'd have thought the scientists would have tried to swing the name that way just for fun.

I'm not sure if something like this is exactly safe, per se...

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Two questions:

1) What happens to all the birds that will clearly get sucked into this?

2) Will this effect airplanes flying overhead at any altitude?

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Canada's moved past the cutting edge. We're on the spinning edge of technology now!

Some damn cool science there, and soon to be engineering and such. I hope this works and his calculations are right, I'd love to see one of these plants active when it's cloudy.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Deathfish15 said:
Two questions:

1) What happens to all the birds that will clearly get sucked into this?

2) Will this effect airplanes flying overhead at any altitude?
Well I'd assume birds would react the same way they would to a regular tornado and that directly above it would be a no fly zone.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
A machine that generates an artificial tornado?

I want one for when I become a James Bond villain. I mean it's not an actual weather control device or orbital death ray, but it's a start, right?

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
What could possibly go wrong...

Seems cool enough if they can keep everything under controller. I'd hate to see Canada engulfed by tornadoes.

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
This is simply Phase 1 of Canada's plan for doomsday weapons.

No one suspects the Canadians...

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
As an engineer and a nerd I desperately want to see the plans for this one. Honestly this is probably one of the coolest things I have heard of all week and hope to one day look to the horizon and see a vortex and know that it powers my house.

JellySlimerMan

Dec 28, 2012
That sounds like a perpetual motion machine, to the point that its bound to fail.

How is it that the energy consumed by making a TORNADO is lower than the energy we receive from it?

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
There would be no risk to birds because it would all be inside, the picture is just a silly artists picture. Moving hot and cold air isn't really anything new to technology. It is a neat idea though and I would like to see how they expect to create more energy from the results of the tornado then they are using creating it.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
JellySlimerMan said:
That sounds like a perpetual motion machine, to the point that its bound to fail.

How is it that the energy consumed by making a TORNADO is lower than the energy we receive from it?
Science and witchcraft that's how. I have little doubt that the generation of the vortex will be orchestrated by three witches and their cauldron that are hidden behind a veil of scientific looking equipment.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
JellySlimerMan said:

They plan to use the excess heat energy from nuclear power plants if I remember correctly (and presumably that's why the
picture has a tornado coming out of a cooling tower).

THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, ALL THE SAFETY OF A NUCLEAR POWER PLANT COMBINED WITH THE SAFETY OF A TORNADO, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Nah, I'm kidding, Nuclear power plants aren't nearly as dangerous as people make them out to be. Still, a tornado's a tornado.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Next I shall harness the raw energy of tidal waves and lightning storms and then I will construct a drill that will bore into the earths mantle releasing the molten hot power within! Hahahahaha!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Syfy presents : Thunder Twister.
This would be great for Canada, but what about places already tornadically active? Would it disrupt local weather patterns in places like the midwest, and actually make the spring/summer storm cycle even worse? Would incoming storm cells actually force the plant to shut down because they might fuel the functioning funnel system already in place? Would there be a constant storm cloud over the plant, and if so, how would crops taste if grown nearby using the plant for water? So many questions, gotta see one of these in action.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
JellySlimerMan said:

As someone who completely unqualified to answer this, I would presume the it would create the conditions for a tornado, then the sun's heat moving the air around would sustain the tornado and thus give more energy out than put in. With some help from the Coriolis effect no doubt.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
jetriot said:
There would be no risk to birds because it would all be inside, the picture is just a silly artists picture. Moving hot and cold air isn't really anything new to technology. It is a neat idea though and I would like to see how they expect to create more energy from the results of the tornado then they are using creating it.
Pretty sure the article specificaly says the machine "will create a vortex that extends to the atmospher". Kinda goes against your "all indoors" theory. :p

But yeah, it's all fun and games until one of these things breaks down unleashing a tornado that wipes oout three towns.