NASA Considers Dragging Asteroids to the Moon

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
NASA Considers Dragging Asteroids to the Moon

The Keck Institute for Space Studies wants an asteroid orbiting the moon as early as next decade.

When most of us think of asteroids, we probably imagine massive death rocks hurtling through space to threaten our world and our lives. When scientists think about asteroids, however, it's not always about how Bruce Willis could best blow them up to an Aerosmith soundtrack. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116927-Space-Mining-Company-Prepares-for-Launch>Asteroids hold a great deal of scientific potential, but with our limitations on space travel, it's exceedingly difficult to reach them and complete the necessary research. What's a rocket scientist to do? There's one surprisingly sensible solution: if NASA can't get to the mountain, bring the mountain to NASA. Or more specifically, drag it into orbit around the moon.

NASA is currently considering a plan put together by the Keck Institute for Space Studies to literally drag a small asteroid into high lunar orbit. The plan, if implemented, would begin by sending a slow-moving, robotic craft to a target asteroid approximately seven meters wide. After making some final calculations, the craft would catch the asteroid in a 10 by 15 meter bag and return to a high lunar orbit. The Keck Institute believes this project could be completed relatively easily by the 2020s, and would cost approximately $2.6 billion, only slightly more than the Curiosity Mars rover project.

There are actually quite a few benefits to the Keck Institute's plan. The Obama administration has previously expressed interest in exploring near-Earth asteroids, but the required long-term mission would place teams well beyond the reach of any rescue. Bringing space rocks back home would provide all the scientific benefits of an asteroid mission without putting lives in immediate jeopardy. Having a handy orbiting asteroid could also have applications for scientists learning how to extract minerals and fuel, which might set the stage for future exploration missions to Mars and beyond. And if something were to go wrong, an asteroid seven meters wide is nowhere near the planet-killer size <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121279-Asteroid-2011-AG5-Will-Definitely-Miss-Earth>that scientists usually keep an eye out for.

It will still be at least a decade before this plan bears fruit, if it's implemented at all, so we can't say for sure what will happen. Even so, a future in which asteroids orbit our moon, and are frequently visited by humans? That's a pretty cool future to imagine, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105466-Martin-Aircraft-Putting-the-Segway-Back-in-Jetpack>whether or not we have our jetpacks by then.

Source: <a href=http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23039-nasa-mulls-plan-to-drag-asteroid-into-moons-orbit.html?cmpid=RSS|NSNS|2012-GLOBAL|online-news>New Scientist, via <a href=http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/2/3828862/nasa-mission-to-capture-and-retrieve-asteroid-being-mulled-over>The Verge

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Inb4 "yo dawg"

I think if NASA went through with it this will be exiting to every hobby astronomer. Although 7m is pretty small. How about redistributing 10% of the US military budget to NASA so we can catch us another proper moon?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Still though, on the extremely off chance it does hit a major population center it could cause quite a few deaths. Extremely extremely off chance it could land on me but that'd be a kickass way to go.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Quaxar said:
Inb4 "yo dawg"

I think if NASA went through with it this will be exiting to every hobby astronomer. Although 7m is pretty small. How about redistributing 10% of the US military budget to NASA so we can catch us another proper moon?
10%?
How about every nation on earth gives 1% of their GDP each year to a new international space agency.
Imagine what we could achieve!

OT:
So.. They want to give the moon a moon?
Interesting.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
At that point, couldn't you just bring a small asteroid down to Earth itself. You know we had a space shuttle that had a cargo bay on it.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
One thing I love about NASA is they never try to make their technology sound more impressive than it is. "Yep, we're planning on catching an asteroid in a big bag." Though I'm curious what they're planning on doing once they get the asteroid to the moon. If I remember my high school science well enough, I thought it took more than placing an object in another object's gravitational field to achieve orbit.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
I wasn't expecting they'd use it for research, still, I'm wondering what they'll find when they do.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Aught to be feasible, I mean seven meters is 3 and a half womp rats. Our computers could target that right?
Quaxar said:
Inb4 "yo dawg"

That's no moon...
Actually we've got several NEOs in irregular orbit around the earth already.
True, but with years and decades between every near earth time they are not exactly useful. Also, with "proper moon" I meant something like Io or Oberon, not just a large rock.
Or even better... Mimas. The Death Star moon. Those other planets won't dare insult earth again!
http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/deathstar_mimas.jpg

Ickabod said:
At that point, couldn't you just bring a small asteroid down to Earth itself. You know we had a space shuttle that had a cargo bay on it.
Kind of defeating the purpose of studying them in orbit and experimenting with landing on them, doesn't it?

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Very interesting proposal, but would any asteroid put into lunar orbit not eventually (and rather quickly I imagine) get dragged into earth orbit due to the planet's much larger gravitational pull?

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
Still though, on the extremely off chance it does hit a major population center it could cause quite a few deaths. Extremely extremely off chance it could land on me but that'd be a kickass way to go.
Asteroids that size either burn up or explode in the atmosphere, or reach the ground as melon-sized chunks that do little more than wreck cars.

According to Wikipedia:
Asteroids with diameters of 5 to 10 m (16 to 33 ft) enter the Earth's atmosphere approximately once per year, with as much energy as Little Boy, the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, approximately 15 kilotonnes of TNT. These ordinarily explode in the upper atmosphere, and most or all of the solids are vaporized.[4]
Scientists aren't generally as For Science!!! as movies would have you think. It is likely that part of the reason they chose a 7 m asteroid is to keep it from being a threat to terrestrial populations.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
You didn't read the article did you?

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
This kind of stuff happens in Gundam a lot, or at least it does in the lore (bringing asteroids into Earth's orbits to mine for resources and what not) which explains where the fascist madmen get all of the asteroids to drop onto the Earth from.

Quaxar said:
True, but with years and decades between every near earth time they are not exactly useful. Also, with "proper moon" I meant something like Io or Oberon, not just a large rock.
Or even better... Mimas. The Death Star moon. Those other planets won't dare insult earth again!
http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/deathstar_mimas.jpg
Without the line in the middle that asteroid totally looks like something else to me...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Humans: owner of the universe's largest pet rock

If that thing makes a mess on the carpet, I'm certainly not cleaning that up.

bearlotz

Dec 10, 2012
weirdguy said:
Humans: owner of the universe's largest pet rock

If that thing makes a mess on the carpet, I'm certainly not cleaning that up.
+5 internets to you good sir, I needed a laugh today.

OT: This is another one of those "big step towards science-fiction" stories, in this case giving scientists a testing ground for automated asteroid mining probes. Asteroids can sometimes have large concentrations of minerals or even frozen gasses that are rare on Earth, if this technology can be perfected then we could potentially shore up a lot of deficiencies in the manufacturing and laboratory experimentation sectors. I'm really excited to see where this goes, but my inner skeptic is telling me that this probably won't go anywhere in a big hurry...to hell with it, BUILD MORE SCV's!!!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Gatx said:
Quaxar said:
Without the line in the middle that asteroid totally looks like something else to me...
Still a good reason to get it, it's not mother earth for nothing!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Ickabod said:
That's the good bit though. If you put it into lunar orbit... you can always go out and get it with a shuttle (or more likely something unmanned and less expensive) to test how to bring them back from a lunar orbit. Then we can start mining asteroids and hopefully get rare metals instead of alien viruses.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
One thing I love about NASA is they never try to make their technology sound more impressive than it is. "Yep, we're planning on catching an asteroid in a big bag." Though I'm curious what they're planning on doing once they get the asteroid to the moon. If I remember my high school science well enough, I thought it took more than placing an object in another object's gravitational field to achieve orbit.
Well yeah, they also need to pick up speed and put themselves into a moon orbit, THEN they can let go of the rock. After that they can scrap the bot.