Help Choose Which Indie Speed Run Games We Send to Yahtzee

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Help Choose Which Indie Speed Run Games We Send to Yahtzee

We've got 182 games you can play for free, right now.

Back in November 2012, we began Indie Speed Run, a game development event in which small teams had just 48 hours to make a game that could win the affections of some of the biggest names in the industry. Starting today, Notch (Minecraft), Ron Gilbert (Monkey Island), Kellee Santiago (Journey), Jason Rohrer (Passage), Vander Caballero (Papo & Yo), Trent Oster (Baldur's Gate: EE) and Dino Patti (Limbo) will each choose one game hosted right here on The Escapist to send to Zero Punctuation's Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw for his judgment, while our community will pick three!

You can access the game page by clicking here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/indie-speed-run/], and rate the games you've played between one and five stars. Feel free to use your own rubric to decide what deserves the most stars, but keep in mind each game's required Theme and Element (as listed on each of the game pages) while you play. You may rate each game only once per day, but play them as often as you like. On January 31st, the voting period will end, and find your favorite three games based on their average rating, and the number of votes received. Come back in February to see which one Yahtzee chose to take home $2,500!

You can find out more info about Indie Speed Run at www.indiespeedrun.com, on Twitter @indiespeedrun, or right here on The Escapist when we've got big news to share! We'll be running more events like this in the future, and don't forget: Escapist Pub Club members get in for just 50% of the entry!

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
That's a lot more entries than I was expecting! I won't be able to check them all out. Is there any chance that after the voting is done some sort of quick video montage could be made with all the entries? So we can see them all?

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Volan said:
That's a lot more entries than I was expecting! I won't be able to check them all out. Is there any chance that after the voting is done some sort of quick video montage could be made with all the entries? So we can see them all?
Actually, that's only about 75%! The rest are processing and being added live.

As for the video ... we're definitely going to try to work on that.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Volan said:
That's a lot more entries than I was expecting! I won't be able to check them all out.
But damn it man we have to try!
It will be a long grueling process, some of us might not make it but it's something that must be done.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Go play
Caesar's Day Off

I'm howling with laughter and it's 1:38am...
Gonna wake the neighbours!

captcha: winning... it sure is captcha, it sure is!

ZeroCreativity1

Nov 12, 2010
I certainly wouldn't mind someone checking out my game School Possession: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/indie-speed-run/?game=94. A little beat-em-up tower defence game. I always appreciate comments, (feel free to pm if this forum isn't an appropriate place for them).

Speaking of which, will the games eventually have comments, or is that something you've decided against doing?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
It's simple, we kill the batman. But seriously, just make him play em all and give him 3 weeks, pay him double his normal fee.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ummmm, that's a bit overwhelming. I don't know if i have the time to look at about 200 games even if only for a minuet each.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
damn, no I wanna be the guy....

I was also hoping for No Time To Explain but since it's been greenlit on Steam I guess they have enough publicity.

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
I played a game called "Adam" was a ton of fun until I ran into a bug at the end. The time travel mechanic is interesting.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
putowtin said:
Go play
Caesar's Day Off

I'm howling with laughter and it's 1:38am...
Gonna wake the neighbours!

captcha: winning... it sure is captcha, it sure is!
Absolutely. My favourite one so far.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
So the star rating isn't how good the game is, but how much we want to see Yahtzee play it? As fun as that thought is, I have undeserved faith the Escapist community will rate appropriately so the best game's creators can take home some money.

Jan 12, 2012
So if Yahtzee is going to do a speed run of these games, and his regular reviews are speed runs of normal human speech, does that mean that the video will just be a high-pitched whine and a seizure-inducing blur of images?

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
ADAM is pretty damn good. I actually think it is a nice Puzzle Game.

And Caesar's day off... Was not that funny.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I tried a few so far, Farmpunk was really promising but screwed up majorly and gave no seeds in about round 4, 3 times, and GOSSIP is far too picky about what it accepts, and I lost to a bald man who 'cared about his hair' when I told him he didn't have any hair and it did nothing. Adam was good but I ran into a bug and couldn't be bothered playing it again. School Possession has been alright too but maybe my input is a big laggy just because of my computer, but I haven't been able to implement any kind of strategy other that hit continuously and revive when needed because the jump is enormous.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
pretzil said:
Ufo King should win,
purely because they snuck a penis into the cover pic.

Ok, so here is my reaction to that.

Lol, what? *looks at pic*

I don't, what the hell is pretzil - oh, wait... is that... S.O.B. how did I not see that?! *facepalm*