CCP Announces Dust 514 Open Beta

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
CCP Announces Dust 514 Open Beta

Dust 514, the Free-To-Play FPS associated with EVE Online will be available to all PS3 owners.

CCP Games has announced their intention to launch the open beta of Eve Online-linked FPS Dust 514 on January 22nd. This announcement comes on the heels of last week's announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121410-EVE-Online-Collides-With-Dust-514] that the closed beta of Dust 514 was successfully connected to EVE. When it is released, the Dust open beta will be available to anyone with a Playstation 3. Players interested in getting a jump start on Dust can still buy access to the closed beta for the remaining week of its existence, and any abilities they unlock will remain with them into open beta.

"The launch of the Dust 514 Open Beta is another step towards our long-term vision for CCP and EVE," said CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Péitursson in a press release. "But this is just the beginning. As we have done with EVE Online, in the coming weeks, and for years to come, we will continually improve upon and add to the Dust 514 experience, as well as add deeper integration between the two games and their communities."

The full release of Dust 514 will be a free-to-play FPS in which the actions of mercenaries on the ground effects the world of EVE spaceship combat above, and vice-versa. CCP is making a big deal of the innovative nature of linking one game genre to another, and of linking PC to Console, but the real gain is this: For the first time in gaming, you can grief your friends with an orbital strike while playing an entirely different game.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
I hope people don't see this as a demo. It's still very much a beta.
But then again, people are stupid. Ah well, more people for me to shoot. An influx of newbies should be a very lucrative experience for me :D

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm sort of sad I didn't play EVE long enough to see the ramifications of this game. However, I'm also glad that I got my life back. Thank God for transaction errors.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
been playing the closed beta, its good but its a lot to take in. needs a few tweaks but overall its gonna be a great game.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Kinda want to play this as my brother keeps talking about playing EVE and since I've tried it (wasn't my thing) it would give us a way to team up to play together as we have very different tastes in games.

Unfortunately I've not got a PS3 so it's a bit of a moot point.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
rhizhim said:
>Dust 514, the Free-To-Play open beta has started.....

-fuck yeah!

>... for ps3 owners.

-fuck.
One word: craigslist. That's how I got mine for a third of the price. You just need patience and a willingness to camp out the site in the evening.

OT: FRESH MEAT!

Uhh... I mean... welcome to Dust514. Remember, you can get a lot of kills by staying in one exposed place and there is nothing to worry about hiding in the hills.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
JonB said:
For the first time in gaming, you can grief your friends with an orbital strike while playing an entirely different game.
This will help gaming everywhere.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i hope you get realtime trollcams in the eve online interface with replay and save video functions

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
weirdguy said:
i hope you get realtime trollcams in the eve online interface with replay and save video functions
You can't really troll. Since the only way for Eve players to attack Dust players if a Dust player actively calls down a strike on a position. True a person in Eve could have two accounts, one on Eve and one on Dust, but even if you go rouge there is no real benefit or downside to doing it. Even for the lulz there isn't much of a point.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Korten12 said:
weirdguy said:
You can't really troll. Since the only way for Eve players to attack Dust players if a Dust player actively calls down a strike on a position. True a person in Eve could have two accounts, one on Eve and one on Dust, but even if you go rouge there is no real benefit or downside to doing it. Even for the lulz there isn't much of a point.
you say that as if eve online hasn't has a history of the biggest dick moves in gaming

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
weirdguy said:
Korten12 said:
weirdguy said:
you say that as if eve online hasn't has a history of the biggest dick moves in gaming
I am not saying it doesn't, but at the current moment, Dust doesn't allow for that to really happen. Currently it's not as open as Eve is to allow that kind of stuff.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Korten12 said:
weirdguy said:
people make 30-man suicide teams to take down empty freighters for lulz, this will definitely be a popular thing.

according to CCP:
dust will not be economically conencted to eve yet (fak, i cant sell them tanks to blow themselves with and swim in money).
they will put all they have ready into dust little by little (if this is anything like the new account creator or WIS, little by little means maybe playable in 6 months)

Also opening beta does not seem to do much because anyone that has eve account already could get in if they wanted. but thne we will have the console FPS peasants coming in who does not know about eve, and the massive pyres of bodies begin.