Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #3

Five days. Five of 2012's best games.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's not really that bad when any dipshit with no training can repair the engine given enough time.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
erttheking said:
It's not really that bad when any dipshit with no training can repair the engine given enough time.
This is very true, I always have to wonder at the effectiveness of fixing a hullbreach by hitting it with a rock...

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
"Cory Rydell and Grey Carter are ordinary men, come have a look in their eyes".

I see what you did thar guys. You've been listening to that song "Bullets" from the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer...

What was the subject again?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The alien kind of reminds me of Zorak [http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/360277/Zorak.jpg]!

I don't think I'd have the patience for FTL in all honesty.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Fappy said:
The alien kind of reminds me of Zorak [http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/360277/Zorak.jpg]!

Holy shit you're right!

And now I find myself missing The Brak Show and Space Ghost again... sigh.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Even funnier (not sure if intended), Mantises suck at making repairs!

I had been hoping for (or hoping to make myself) a game like FTL for ages, and I just hope that, like Minecraft, their success opens the floodgates for new games in this style to crop up.

People with the Star Trek IP, listen up, these indies have made the best Star Trek game ever, and it isn't even Star Trek! You'd better be taking notes, because this is the feel Star Trek Online should've had.

As for the game itself... I don't find the boss that terrible (granted, I haven't faced it on normal yet), as long as the missile launcher DIES.

What I find as the epitome of bullcrap is when you get into an ion-storm, combined with the "pirates have hacked a subsystem" event which instantly and irrevocably disables shields and weapons for the duration.

Mar 30, 2010
Funny you guys should mention FTL, I've just (as in five minutes ago) unlocked the stealth prototype ship. The layout upgrades look a bit of a faff, guess I'll have to upgrade the cloak to max for those ones.

OT: Too true! The AI in FTL can be a bit ruthless, although I have been comforted a number of times knowing that the enemy crew will follow me to the grave shortly after my ship explodes/is gutted by fire/undergoes total decompression in similar situations to this one.

'Tactical genius' indeed.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I can't think of anything witty so I'll just stick to the facts.

FTL is fun and frustrating at the same time which, with many other good games, is the point of the experience.

[sub][sub]Stupid bullshit boss.[/sub][/sub]

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Fappy said:

This game is both tedious and amazingly rewarding at the same time. I have never gone from frustration (expecting to lose a battle), to elation (winning the battle), to despair (realizing you're boned anyway) as quickly as I have playing this game, and then started playing it again immediately after losing. While Dark Souls left me wanting to punch walls, this game left me surprisingly accepting my numerous failures as part of the game play.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
The thing that got me into the game was that it's far deeper than I expected. There are so many valid upgrade roots and uses for scrap which I though was really refreshing compared to many games were some upgrades outstrip all the others in terms of usefulness.

I also love all the ways you can manage to screw yourself over by trying to be smart. In one game, I kept getting boarded so I decided to leave the airlocks open and vent to space all the sections that weren't occupied by my crew. I found the glaring hole in my logic when my door control was damaged and then my oxygen generator. My crew suffocated before they could fix the oxygen.

FTL is probably my favourite game of last year.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
If you think the Rebel Flagship is bullshit, you should see some of the Elite Cruiser designs DrkTemplar came up with for his "Infinite Space" [http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3542] sandbox mod. They soundly spank the Flagship and send it back to its corner whimpering in fear...

Very pleased to see FTL made your list, it definitely deserves every bit of praise and attention it gets.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Damn you and your comic. I have skipped all the games you have listed so far because honestly never caught my attention, but now, JUST AFTER THE SELLS PASSED, i feel compelled to buy them...

FUUUUUUUUU.... mind doing this BEFORE the deals are over next time?

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
Tanakh said:
Damn you and your comic. I have skipped all the games you have listed so far because honestly never caught my attention, but now, JUST AFTER THE SELLS PASSED, i feel compelled to buy them...

FUUUUUUUUU.... mind doing this BEFORE the deals are over next time?
It's still only like £7, hardly expensive :p

OT: Had so much fun with this game, haven't beat it yet though...

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Toasty Virus said:
It's still only like £7, hardly expensive :p

OT: Had so much fun with this game, haven't beat it yet though...
Not about the price, but about knowing those were 50% or better just few days ago! The burn of missed sales hurts my soul.