Trailer Promises Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in March

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Trailer Promises Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in March

Bring down digital beasts with a Wii U, a 3DS, or both at once.

Listen up, monster hunters. I've seen how excited you get over new entries in Capcom's Monster Hunter series, so if you've been waiting with bated breath for news about Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, this is your lucky day. In one fell swoop Capcom released a new trailer, confirmed Wii U/3DS connectivity, and dated the demo and full game for February and March 2013, respectively.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is an updated version of Monster Hunter Tri which reared its head on the Wii in 2010. In addition to new quests, new monsters, updated graphics, and all the standard tweaks you'd expect, the game offers a fairly innovative multiplayer system. Up to four players on either the Wii U or 3DS platforms can band together online to cleanse the world of all animal life, but 3DS owners can play locally as well. Additionally, one player can host a local session on the Wii U while three others join in with the 3DS version. Which player gets the TV probably depends on whose house it is - or perhaps who's bested the baddest beastie.

For those of you unfamiliar with the series, the setup goes something like this: You play as an adventurer tasked with bringing down the most fearsome creatures the natural world can throw at you. Completing quests and picking up loot allows you to tackle stronger monsters, and the cycle repeats.

A demo of the title will appear on February 21, while the full game will be available in both physical and digital forms on March 19 in North America and March 22 in Europe. Until then, now would be a good time to start rounding up your hunting posse. If you're going to get eaten by dinosaurs, at least give them a full meal.

Source: Monster Hunter Official Facebook Page [http://www.facebook.com/monsterhunter]

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
Aw yeah.jpeg, I've stopped playing Tri in preparation of this. My body is ready.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
I'm looking forward to this so much. I played so much of MH2:FU on the PSP and loved every minute of it, being able to play on the Wii U either with a TV or the Gamepad is going to be epic! Thank you Capcom.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Capcom, why do you hate me so much? What did i do to deserve such hate from you. I just want to smash monsters in the face with a giant sword, is that so much to ask? But no, WiiU only.

Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
huh?!? monster hunter maybe on other consoles?
oh wait 3ds and wii u
*goes back in the corner to cry*
why capcom, why? D:
Got any more room in the corner? I'll bring my Tigrex plush.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
This excites me so since I've been wanting to grab a MH title for when I get myself a Wii U.

Now all I need to do is decide whether or not to go for both versions.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm while I did enjoyed Tri but I soon find the game to be repetitive. Over 200 quests? More like 200 quests of either slaying or capturing the monsters!
Well either way it could be on my list of games to get if I bought a 3DS.

I still want to see that other 3DS game where you can rock climb and jump onto the monster back and slash its back.

Feb 24, 2011
Burst6 said:
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
huh?!? monster hunter maybe on other consoles?
oh wait 3ds and wii u
*goes back in the corner to cry*
why capcom, why? D:
Got any more room in the corner? I'll bring my Tigrex plush.
Can we share?
captcha: orange juice
if you are willing to share you can come aswell
you made captcha sad you monsters!

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
Okay so let me get this straight we get a watered down version called Tri(i call it watered down, because the amount of monsters we got was pathetic) and now japan is going to get MH4(summer in 2013) and we get this third ultimate(which requires a new system) and only adds a few more monsters from portable 3rd(japan only on psp). Screw you capcom i refuse to buy a new machine to play one of my favorite franchises, you could have sold the psp version and saved the new stuff to send mh4 over here.

Number of Monsters - Comparison with Previous Games
Mh3-ultimate(same as 3G)
3DS
December 10, 2011(japan)
2 years later NA gets it in march.
# Small Monsters: 22
# Large Monsters: 51
# Total Monsters: 73

Mhp3rd
PSP, eventually on PS3(japan)
December 1, 2010(japan)
# Small Monsters: 20
# Large Monsters: 40
# Total Monsters: 60

MH-Tri
WII
April 20, 2010
# Small Monsters: 17
# Large Monsters: 18
# Total Monsters: 35

There are more monsters, but this counts subspecies as extra monsters, when really they aren't too different. Not completely different monsters, same models, different textures, and maybe 1 or 2 new attack or element. Let not forget they even released MHp3 on PS3 meaning they could have at least used other consoles, but they decided to milk it for more money.
Edit: Damn you word wrap.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
First thought: "Oooooooo. A new Monster Hunter game. Maybe this one will actually be on a console worth playing.

After reading the article: "Whelp... that's what *I* get for giving even the slightest bit of a damn..."

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Finally, I can validate my purchase of a 3DS!
I have been waiting for a new monster hunter for AGES.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I enjoy Monster Hunter but I do find the difficulty curve incredibly exhausting. I think a flaw of the series is the expectation of grinding the monster you've just learnt to defeat by the skin of your teeth just to progress. And the fact you can easily spend 45mins trying to hunt a monster but fail and effectively just waste 45mins. Some people may think this is fine and fun. I don't.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Nice.

Don't know if it's worth buying a Wii U over though...

Damn it, being a gamer is hard D:
I've been on the fence about buying a WiiU ... but i think this actually just sold me.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well, that's one reason to buy a WiiU but one reason still isn't enough for me. Especially not willing to fork out for a last generation console right now.

Morbira

Nov 28, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Mmm while I did enjoyed Tri but I soon find the game to be repetitive. Over 200 quests? More like 200 quests of either slaying or capturing the monsters!
I believe you have missed the point of Monster Hunter, my friend.