The Phantom Is Hardware No Longer

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006

The former Phantom console is now a software service for Windows XP.

After years of re-branding and scandal, the Phantom console has opted out of creating a piece of hardware in favor of having the consumers provide their own. The Phantom was a console machine that would download PC games from the Phantom server and display them on your television. The re-launched "Phantom Entertainment" website [http://www.phantom.net/home.html] has done away with the actual unit, offering instead to sell users the Phantom Game Service software and a monthly subscription fee to run the program on their own Windows XP computers.

The website notes that one of the requirements is a "high definition or standard television" which means you would have to plug your computer into your TV for the software to work. There is no word on the website as to why a regular monitor would not be suitable. There is currently no price or release date available for the new service.

The Phantom Lapboard peripheral has also been delayed from the original October release date and will be sold separately for $129.95 US in November.

Captain Cornflake

Nov 6, 2005
Shawn Andrich said:
It never existed in the first place.

Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if this "Phantom Game Service" was another investor scam, because it probably is.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
So I guess their plan now is to try to compete with GameTap? Well, uh, good luck with that. I'd like to say that more digital distribution is a good thing, but in this case they should just close up shop and start over with a new company/product/management/name.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
I would sign up for the service, but I already gave all my money to that TV preacher who was screwing the hockey players...

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Well it looks like nothing will come out of Infinium Labs. To bad, bringing pc games to a console game experience might be fun. I know I would love to play the pc version of Oblivion with mods and all on my tv instead of just a monitor.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Lex Darko said:
Well it looks like nothing will come out of Infinium Labs. To bad, bringing pc games to a console game experience might be fun. I know I would love to play the pc version of Oblivion with mods and all on my tv instead of just a monitor.
There is no reason why you can't plug your PC into your tv. It works really well if you have a hi def TV.

The whole point of console gaming is that it ISN'T like PC gaming. mod's are fine but patches are not. The day I have to wait till a patch is released before a console game is playable, I will stop playing console games.