Metro: Last Light Digital Pre-Order Yanked Over THQ Woes

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Metro: Last Light Digital Pre-Order Yanked Over THQ Woes

THQ's upcoming titles face questionable futures.

With THQ waist-deep in financial trouble, the future of the highly anticipated Metro: Last Light seems uncertain. Or, at least uncertain enough to prompt GameStop to remove the pre-order option from its digital distribution system, Impulse. For now, the physical version of the game remains available to pre-order on the retailer's main website.

"Essentially, due to THQ's current financial situation and uncertainty of delivery, in order to protect our consumers we removed the ability to pre-purchase that specific game," a GameStop representative told GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/metro-last-light-removed-from-gamestop-impulse-6402569].

THQ's financial woes have been well publicized [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121375-Judge-Denies-THQ-Bankruptcy-Sale-UPDATED] as of late, and a bankruptcy auction is tentatively scheduled for January 22. On that date, each of THQ's individual properties will be auctioned off in a piecemeal fashion, allowing other companies to snap up the IPs they desire. This, of course, leaves the upcoming release of Metro: Last Light in question, as well as other scheduled titles like South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/metro-last-light-removed-from-gamestop-impulse-6402569]

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I though that it was just around the corner and they would defiantly get Last Light finished?

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
MikeWehner said:
This, of course, leaves the upcoming release of Metro: Last Light in question, as well as other scheduled titles like South Park: The Stick of Truth.
NO! Don't you dare take those away from us, do you hear me?!
I do hope someone will buy those IPs and let the devs finish their work, but since several companies have already voiced their interest I'm sure well get those games sooner or later.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I hope Metro and Stick of Truth go to a good home.
Mojo said:
MikeWehner said:
This, of course, leaves the upcoming release of Metro: Last Light in question, as well as other scheduled titles like South Park: The Stick of Truth.
I do hope someone will buy those IPs and let the devs finish their work, but since several companies have already voiced their interest I'm sure well get those games sooner or later.
You're preaching to the choir, folks. These are two of my most anticipated games of 2013. Not to mention the possible future of the Red Faction franchise (which I adore) also hangs in the balance. I'm wringing my hands in the hopes that this all turns out OK.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
as long as these games are close to release at point of sale, and the purchasing entity does not have to invest "too large" an amount to finish, and release then they should see a street release.

option 2: they are purchased by entity2 who will turn around, and release it immediately investing no additional funds beyond printing/packaging, and putting them to market.

because each of these options is equally probable from a business perspective (assuming that those games are in at least playable states) GameStop is less saying "we will not accept pre-orders for these games" and more saying "we don't know if the release date we were given (if any) will be factual after THQ is auctioned" so I can see valid reason for GameStops move, and would agree with it. I do hope that the purchasing entity allows for the dev teams to finish their work, and doesn't do secret option3 (perform a full evaluation of the title's features/story/mechanics and possibly send it back to the drawing board, or liquidate current work, and hold the IP for other games)

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
MikeWehner said:
You're preaching to the choir, folks. These are two of my most anticipated games of 2013. Not to mention the possible future of the Red Faction franchise (which I adore) also hangs in the balance. I'm wringing my hands in the hopes that this all turns out OK.
Not to mention Saints Row. And Company of Heroes. And Dawn of War. Or really, anything W40k.

Wow. This is depressing.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Mojo said:
MikeWehner said:
The thing is, I can't imagine that there's much work left to be done, at least in South Park's case. When I first saw the Kickstarter for Project Infinity, I figured that was Obsidian inadvertently saying "Okay, work's all done with South Park, now it's time to move onto another title. Maybe we don't have to go publisher shopping this time?"

I know that's totally speculative, but with their size and resources I can't imagine why they would look to get a new title off the ground with Kickstarter if South Park wasn't totally behind them from a developmental standpoint. Metro may not be as done, I know publishers are apt to offer pre-orders for titles that aren't in a playable state yet.

Apr 28, 2008
It's just Gamestop, it's still on Steam. It's still coming out. It won't die like STALKER did, oh no.

*he says to himself, rocking back and forth in the fetal position*

MikeWehner said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I hope Metro and Stick of Truth go to a good home.
Mojo said:
MikeWehner said:
I wouldn't worry about South Park. It's developed by Obsidian and owned by Matt and Trey, so it should be fine. At worst they'll probably just have to find a new publisher for distribution.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'd be stunned if no one picked up Metro to be honest. It's so late into development it'd surely be a bargain.

I'm guessing 2K go for Metro, Activision go for Saints Row and EA go for Warhammer.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
THQ were one of the few publishers that actually had developers in the big seats who knew when they needed to let their dev teams do their work and not try to make their games more marketable to EVERYONE.

It's a shame that the moron of a director wanted the UDraw idea which was so obviously horrible was good; it still baffles me they weren't possessed when they thought it up.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
MikeWehner said:
Not to mention the possible future of the Red Faction franchise (which I adore) also hangs in the balance.
Sorry mate, but THQ already cancelled the franchise a couple of years ago.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111939-THQ-Kills-Red-Faction

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
jackpipsam said:
MikeWehner said:
Not to mention the possible future of the Red Faction franchise (which I adore) also hangs in the balance.
Sorry mate, but THQ already cancelled the franchise a couple of years ago.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111939-THQ-Kills-Red-Faction
I'm aware of that statement, but they *do* own it. Telling investors you're not going to release a sequel to the last title doesn't mean we'll never see it again. Reboots happen all the time :D

Am I in denial? Perhaps. DON'T RUIN MY FANTASY

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
I'd be stunned if no one picked up Metro to be honest. It's so late into development it'd surely be a bargain.

I'm guessing 2K go for Metro, Activision go for Saints Row and EA go for Warhammer.
I doubt EA will get the 40k IP, as they have done jack with Warhammer one.