Plants vs. Zombies Pokes Fun At Cleavage-Filled Evony Ads

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Plants vs. Zombies Pokes Fun At Cleavage-Filled Evony Ads

PopCap is having a little bit of fun with their latest run of Plants vs. Zombies online ads, which poke some fun at those ubiquitous and cleavage-tastic ads for free MMOG Evony.

You know you've caught yourself looking at them before. Those ads for Evony, a free-to-play MMOG. You know the ones I'm talking about. They've (d)evolved, in a brazen tossing away of any kind of standards [http://contexts.org/socimages/2009/07/14/evolution-of-evony-video-game-ads/], from featuring generic fantasy knights to demure maidens with seriously low necklines on their robes to well, just straight up BOOBS.

The whole affair has engendered good-old fashioned ridicule as well as some casual armchair sociology, and now casual games titan PopCap has gotten in on the fun. For their latest run of Plants vs. Zombies ads on the internet, the crew at PopCap decided to spoof the Evony ads, replacing the image of a helpless-but-sexy queen with a decidedly un-erotic zombie. She has a tiara, she has cleavage. Her lipstick is smeared across her face, she's missing teeth, and she's drooling.

"Save Your Lover!" the ad exhorts. "Save the Queen" was the call to action in the Evony ad. For some reason I feel more inclined to do what Evony wants me to, but at the same time would rather play a PopCap game than a free-to-play MMOG. Wonder how that works out.

[Via Offworld [http://www.offworld.com/2009/07/evony-agony-popcaps-plants-vs.html]]

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Haha, funny. I like it.
Can't say those Evony ads didn't make me pause, but still... I like the PvZ ad better, because it is satirical of the original, and so the idea behind it is different.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
scnj said:
Those adverts really irritate me. I think it's her face.
Yeah I think it is. That dead, stupid, blank face that says 'Help me' in a sort of 'I'm too stupid to do it myself' way.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
The Evony ads got progressively worse and worse, and I'm glad popcap finds it as hilarious as I do.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Keane Ng said:
For some reason I feel more inclined to do what Evony wants me to, but at the same time would rather play a PopCap game than a free-to-play MMOG. Wonder how that works out.
It's because you might have fun with a PopCap game.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Evony's got more and more shameless, to the point of using pictures of real women worthy of a matchmaking site, and I'm glad to see someone's taking the piss out of them.

AncientYoungSon

Jun 17, 2009
The one they're actually making fun of is of that woman who looks 50 something and slathered in makeup, and yes, that damn thing is everywhere.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
Haha! I love it. Those Evony ads are friggin' everywhere and I hate it. Much love, PopCap.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Gotta love Pop cap, one of the few developers out there with a sense of humor.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
What exactly is Evony? I never bothered to check the game out because the advertisements annoyed me.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Keane Ng said:
"Save Your Lover!" the ad exhorts. "Save the Queen" was the call to action in the Evony ad. For some reason I feel more inclined to do what Evony wants me to, but at the same time would rather play a PopCap game than a free-to-play MMOG. Wonder how that works out.
It works out by PopCap making a MMO where you play their games to defeat enemies.

You thought Peggle in WoW was bad? This would be like combining crystal meth and heroine.