Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Begin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Begin

[video=6741]​
An epic, live-action trailer makes the war for Tamriel look very cool indeed.

The Elder Scrolls Online beta signup has begun! Which maybe isn't quite as Earth-shattering as The Elder Scrolls Online launch, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.

The sign-up process is a bit more complex than just tossing your name in a hat. As befits an early-stage beta, an awful lot of extra information is requested, ranging from previous Elder Scrolls games you've played (although it only goes back as far as Morrowind, so you won't get to impress anyone with your extensive Battlespire experience) to your play style, preferred online gaming activities, DxDiag profile and more. It's all optional, but the site warns that filling everything out will significantly, italics and all, increase your chances of being chosen for the beta.

While you wait to see how your luck holds up, you can kill a few minutes on the Elder Scrolls Online "Alliance" trailer, a live-action mini-flick featuring three heroic types, presumably one from each of the Aldmeri Dominion, the Daggerfall Covenant and the Ebonheart Pact, beating the crap out of stuff and then, by the looks of it, preparing to do the same to each other. You probably won't be doing anything even remotely similar to this in the game, but it sure does look cool.

So if that's your cup of battleaxe to the face, you can apply to take part in the beta at elderscrollsonline.com [http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/]. The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out later this year for the PC and Mac.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ah, another generic WoW TES trailer which in the the cinematic will never reflect the game play.

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I've been trying to sign up all day, but apparently the sign up link is broken. D':
According to the ESO twitter they are having a lot of traffic and recommend to keep trying.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I wonder how much difference all the system information will actually make, given that everyone is just going to give it if they actually care about being in the beta.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I just signed up, and it says I'm above-average, so go me! I may have accomplished something in life!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I have to wait until I get home so I can use the diagnostic on my PC. I am very hesitant about TESO and am hoping some time with the beta will tell me whether I should care about this game or not.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Welp, signed up. Lets see how my years of judging MMO's fairs against Bethesda's entry. *picks up clipboard and glasses*

My chances are apparently Excellent. Should be after how many MMO's I've beta'd jeez.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
rhizhim said:
is it free to play or do we have to actually pay to be able to ***** about the bugs?
Betas are always free. Of course they don't expect you to actually have to pay for an incomplete experience. Not sure if this game will even have a pay-to-play model when it's finished.

Edit: Oh poop, I just wasted my 1000th post. I was gonna actually make a thread for once, oh well.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
VanQQisH said:
rhizhim said:
is it free to play or do we have to actually pay to be able to ***** about the bugs?
Betas are always free. Of course they don't expect you to actually have to pay for an incomplete experience. Not sure if this game will even have a pay-to-play model when it's finished.

Edit: Oh poop, I just wasted my 1000th post. I was gonna actually make a thread for once, oh well.
Yes and no, Betas don't cost money but they expect you to test the game, as opposed to just playing it straight out, which is something 99% of testers don't get. It's less about determining content and systems so much as making sure things work, and that your not going to say crash the server if you jump backwards off of a tower or do other unexpected things. On a lot of levels playing like a moron and finding ways to kill yourself, intentionally trying to get stuck in walls and such, is exactly the point... especially in closed betas. In open betas there is still bug testing but it's largely about stress testing, which is why so many open betas seem to play like crap, it's about torturing the user base with lag and choppy gameplay to see if they can keep them online despite doing screwed up crap to the servers, so they aren't likely to go down unexpectedly during launch.

Right now I have yet to see any information on the Elder Scrolls Online business model, an educated guess would be them trying to go with a F2P type model since that's what everyone is doing.

-

All of this is kind of irrelevent though, I just tried to register for Beta... TWICE... and I keep getting "page not found" errors after completing the application. Granted it's a cool page not found error with a big graphical screen saying "turn back adventurer" but right now they either haven't put it up yet, it crashed, or it's so overloaded with applicants to the point where your unlikely to get one in. Bottom line is... it's not working for me.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Therumancer said:
Yeah, his question was whether you had to pay to participate or not. I've been in closed betas before and feel like I contributed quite a bit while I was. It's too bad about the application not working for you, seemed to work like a breeze for me just a few minutes ago so I got my application in. After trying again hoping to get a few extra chances with different emails it's not working for me either. Seems I just managed to beat the horde.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
As awesome as that was, it seems bethesda still hasn't realized all they really need to do to rope me in is play that elder scrolls tune on some landscape shots.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Oh look another generic MMO trailer which never reflects the gameplay.

Oh look nords! Oh look, Humans! Oh look, Elves each in their generic fucking styles.

Elves shoot magic and bows, why not an axe?

Oh look the human ASSASSIN, OOoh doing his flips and tricks and generally assassin creed style movements! generic.

And the BIG TOUGH NORD, oooh, i'm big and strong I hold axe because I compensate for shrivvled dick and small brain!

And where are the Argonians, hmm? Or the Khajiits in this trailer? No, all we get in this piece of shit is a bunch of generic fuckwits thinkings they're "all that" Fuck THAT.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Holy shit, that was a cool cinematic trailer.

Which is what it is.

A cinematic trailer designed to give us a view of the world in the best possible quality.

Not a gameplay trailer. It's not supposed to be.

Just sayin'.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I may not have wanted Elder Scrolls to go MMO, but I will be playing this game for the simple reason that I love the world of Tamriel and I won't miss the chance to explore it in full. I'm not looking for a "WoW-killer". Never was.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Very excited about this one, want to see what Matt Firor manage to deliver and honestly couldn't care less if its or not a TES game.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
All I got to say is sucks to be those tower defending guys (and those those invaders crossing the bridge who weren't suppose to be as epic as that other one)!

The cinematic was cool but I will be more interested once I've seen the gameplay.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Someone clearly dusted off Blizzards cinematic team and put them to good use, too bad no one told them what high fantasy setting they were in because it looks like they just kind of made up their own. I don't think I could show that to any TES fan that hadn't seen this cinematic already and they would have any inclination that it was an Elder Scrolls game.