Yoshi Starring in New Wii U "Yarn" Game

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Yoshi Starring in New Wii U "Yarn" Game

The cute dinosaur gets his own game by the guys behind Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Yoshi has gotten a short shrift in the Mushroom Kingdom. Sure, he started as a sidekick in Super Mario World, but he quickly became popular on his own with titles like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995) and Yoshi's Story (1998). There's been a few handheld titles starring Yoshi since then, but nothing on the home-bound consoles. That is, until Satoru Iwata, President of Nintendo, announced this morning that development on a new Yoshi game was in the works.

[gallery=1014]

"A new game is being developed by the team behind Kirby's Epic Yarn," Iwata said, referring to HAL Labs. "This time the main character is Yoshi."

Takashi Tezuka - director of Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story - is "deeply involved" with the creation of the new fabric Yoshi game.

"It has been a quite a long while since we had a new game for the home console featuring Yoshi as the main character," Iwata said. "We'd like to leverage the new graphics and hardware capabilities [of the Wii U] to show how attractive a new Yoshi game can be."

Iwata didn't mention any timeframe for the release of the new Yoshi game, or even a title, but it's cool to see Nintendo experiment with its core properties a little bit more.

Plus, Kirby's Epic Yarn was freaking fantastic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8235-Review-Kirbys-Epic-Yarn].

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Today must be "Convince Neronium to get a Wii U" Day. Dang it I knew that I'd most likely get it, but I always thought it'd be later on. Now they are putting games on it that I want. And the Wii backwards compatibility I'd be able to play my Wii games again. Typical also that I order myself a new Wii since mine is sorta messed up. Good thing I cancelled it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Those last two screens certainly are channeling Little Big Planet something fierce.
Neronium said:
Today must be "Convince Neronium to get a Wii U" Day.
Ditto!

That Wind Waker HD remake is almost enough to push me over the fence, and I wasn't even in the immediate area of said fence.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Didn't know you had one. Yay then.
Casual Shinji said:
Those last two screens certainly are channeling Little Big Planet something fierce.
Neronium said:
Today must be "Convince Neronium to get a Wii U" Day.
Ditto!

That Wind Waker HD remake is almost enough to push me over the fence, and I wasn't even in the immediate area of said fence.
That's what pushed me over the fence. Plus the upscaled graphics for Wii games is good. Heck I'd actually be able to play my Wii games since my Wii is hacked.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy crap... uh... this is awkward... please excuse me...

Well... the HD Wind Waker doesn't look so bad afterall... holy crap, I need this game...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So it's going to be Kirby's Epic Yarn. But with Yoshi.

*shrugs*

I'm cool with that. I really liked Kirby's Epic Yarn. (Seriously, to those who haven't played it yet, DO IT. It might not be a traditional Kirby game, but that didn't really matter to me)

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Must, get, when it, releases! I might have avoided Kirby's Epic Yarn, but Yoshi is perfect for this kind of thing! I'm super excited for this game!

Jas0913

Jan 16, 2010
I never played Kirbry's epic yarn because i never showed much love for my wii but this looks amazing. And with news that they're remaking Wind Waker in HD the Wii U looks like it may live up to its expectations.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I would like you to picture me running around the office much like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4KQbDaCfM].

That was my reaction to this news.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
This might just be what Nintendo needed to pull out of their sleeves to get a lot of people to consider more about getting the Wii U, it definitely has done that for me. I just hope the majority of the game is like those last few screenshots, and not the first. The "hollow" yarn design worked for Kirby because he's pink and contrasts the background, Yoshi's light green color kinda makes him hard on the eyes to focus on, at least for me.

But regardless, Yoshi's Island was the first game I ever beat when I was 2 years old (could barely beat it last year, don't know how the hell I managed that), so any news of a Yoshi game is definitely something I can't wait for.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Well Nintendo, Before E3 started you had my curiosity.
But now you have my attention.
I hope there's going to be a Yoshi plushy sold with this.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Yoshi, you cute little bastard.

Love the art style, I won't be purchasing a WiiU in the foreseeable future but if I see one cheap and inpulse kicks in..who knows maybe one day.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Shinsei-J said:
Screw plushies. I want a proper instruction guide so I can crochet it myself

Susan Arendt said:
I would like you to picture me running around the office much like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4KQbDaCfM].

That was my reaction to this news.
heh, honestly, I thought "huh, this might be something susan would flip out about" even before reading this post XD

OT: If I think about the past yoshi games, the 'garn' look is actually pretty fitting. We had a wonderful crayon-like style on the SNES, a not qute as wonderful but still pretty pop-up book/textile look on the N64, and now this... can't wait to see how it plays (also, damn, this better has some transformation Yoshi's Island style. I think it would be hilarious to see yoshi "recrocheted" into a helicopter.)

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
TJC said:
Shinsei-J said:
That may be one of the best ideas I've ever heard.
Nintendo, make it happen.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Shinsei-J said:
TJC said:
Shinsei-J said:
That may be one of the best ideas I've ever heard.
Nintendo, make it happen.
Seriously, it's a 2D platformer that, if Kirby's Epic Yarn is any indication, will be filled with (more or less subtle) tutorials anyway so there's little to no reason for an instruction booklet. Why not use this space to fill it with crocheting guidelines so I can make me yoshis in every colour of the rainbow (plus black and white from Yoshi's Story)