Bankruptcy Court Approves THQ Sale

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Bankruptcy Court Approves THQ Sale

Several of THQ's properties have been officially sold off to other publishers.

THQ's rocky journey ended yesterday when its properties and studios were sold off to separate buyers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121680-Bankruptcy-Auction-Ends-THQ] at a bankruptcy auction. Ubisoft, Koch Media, and Sega were among the buyers, while some titles, Vigil Games, and THQ's publishing division went unsold. The U.S. Bankruptcy Court granted a motion to approve the sale today, essentially making it official.

The troubled publisher dodged rumors of an ominous financial situation for years before filing for bankruptcy in December; President Jason Rubin called it "a new start." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121213-THQ-President-Discusses-New-Start] He hoped to sell the publisher intact to the Clearlake Capital Group, but during the auction process it was decided that selling assets off separately would net more money.

Ubisoft and German publisher Koch Media (owners of Deep Silver) announced their THQ acquisitions in press releases yesterday; Ubisoft stated that South Park: The Stick of Truth was still due out in calendar 2013, and Koch Media, new owner of the Saints Row and Metro series, said "Deep Silver is perfectly positioned to lead these brands into the next generation of interactive entertainment."

The closing of THQ, which was founded in 1989, marks the end of an era in the gaming industry, though at least some pieces of the publisher will be kept intact. The new owners' long-term plans remain to be seen, but it appears at least several of THQ's games in development will eventually see the light of day.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Ubisoft stated that South Park: The Stick of Truth was still due out in calendar 2013
Read: "We need to delay its release so we can stuff it full of our shitty DRM and make Uplay mandatory. Because we know our customers and they're all dirty, thieving pirates; even if they've legally purchased our product."

That game is doomed now, it couldn't have been sold to a worse company. I only hope Matt and Trey's legal team is able to wrench it from Ubisoft's idiotic hands before it's broken beyond repair.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Sega now owns both Creative Assembly and Relic, two of the premier RTS developers. Makes me wonder how much money they make off PC exclusive games.

Apr 28, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Ubisoft stated that South Park: The Stick of Truth was still due out in calendar 2013
Read: "We need to delay its release so we can stuff it full of our shitty DRM and make Uplay mandatory. Because we know our customers and they're all dirty, thieving pirates; even if they've legally purchased our product."

That game is doomed now, it couldn't have been sold to a worse company. I only hope Matt and Trey's legal team is able to wrench it from Ubisoft's idiotic hands before it's broken beyond repair.
Obsidian just can't catch a break with publishers, eh?

This sucks man, I was looking forward to Stick of Truth. Now it'll most likely have Uplay shoved on it. God dammit...

Apr 28, 2008
Leftnt Sharpe said:
Sega now owns both Creative Assembly and Relic, two of the premier RTS developers. Makes me wonder how much money they make off PC exclusive games.
Well, I'm pretty sure Total War is one of the few things making them a good amount of money these days, so quite a bit, probably.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
KeyMaster45 said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:

Hit the nail on the head. I'm a huge south park fan and I couldn't wait to give this game my money. Now I could care less about what Ubisoft wants to stuff into the game that is unnecessary bloatware and DRM. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to see microtransactions in there for the hell of it.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
And cue 90% of comments on how Ubisoft will ruin everything

But nobody's thinking about the fate of Dark Millennium. We were finally getting a Warhammer 40K Action-RPG dammit!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
kaizen2468 said:
I can't believe that someone would buy homefront but no one wanted darksiders..
That's the most upsetting thing about all this for me. I really like the Darksiders games. I wanted to see what they were going to do with the series next. As of now it looks like the franchise is on ice indefinitely.

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
irishda said:

But nobody's thinking about the fate of Dark Millennium. We were finally getting a Warhammer 40K Action-RPG dammit!
I think of that... a lot. It´s a damned shame! Hopefully SEGA will do more with the franchise than THQ did.
Fingers crossed, eh? :)

Also, while Ubi has a bit of a douchy approach to it´s pc clientel, they do deliver on the games, (mostly) so probably all will be well with the stuff they bought.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Kielgasten said:
irishda said:

I think of that... a lot. It´s a damned shame! Hopefully SEGA will do more with the franchise than THQ did.
Fingers crossed, eh? :)

Also, while Ubi has a bit of a douchy approach to it´s pc clientel, they do deliver on the games, (mostly) so probably all will be well with the stuff they bought.
Yeah, notice no one brings up how much Ubisoft has ruined their lives whenever anything Watch Dogs related or Far Cry 3 comes up.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Sure hope Ubisoft doesn't push back Stick of Truth that much. Since most of it should be done by now, seeing as how the release date was originally just over a month away. March 5th I think it was?

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
well this explains that crazy deal on the THQ pack during the last big Steam Sale. I picked that up on the last day because shit, why not? $25 for a LOT of games, even though I already had the WH40K stuff.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
So, Relic ended up with Sega, good, I like that company. However, did any of Relic's IPs (or THQ's, I guess, not sure how they handled IPs), make it with the sale? I still hold vain hope for Homeworld 3.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
EmperorZuma said:
So, Relic ended up with Sega, good, I like that company. However, did any of Relic's IPs (or THQ's, I guess, not sure how they handled IPs), make it with the sale? I still hold vain hope for Homeworld 3.
The auction for the Homeworld IP will occour at a later date.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121689-Indie-Developer-Tries-to-Salvage-Homeworld-From-THQ

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Not sure what to think

South Park stick of truth i was looking forward to but now UBI has gotten its mitts on it... im not so sure, think ill hold off and wait on reviews.

Relic and all Warhammer related things being owned by SEGA i think im okay with, as long as Relic keeps putting out games im happy.

Metro last light... :( I dont know Koch, i hope they do the licence justice