The Uncertain Future

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Uncertain Future

There's several big films coming out in 2013, and they all face big problems.

Read Full Article

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I reckon Iron Man is the safest of those. Robert Downey Jr. cruising his part would still be a reliable crowd-puller. But I guess even if the 3rd is a hit it's still go to show that there's places for the 4th one to go. An Iron Man film that does everything right would be so good, the characters are all there, it's just the plot has never clicked.

I really want Superman to be good and I'm not the sort of person who cares about Superman normally. But there's so much potential for it to go wrong.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I reckon Iron Man is the safest of those. Robert Downey Jr. cruising his part would still be a reliable crowd-puller. But I guess even if the 3rd is a hit it's still go to show that there's places for the 4th one to go. An Iron Man film that does everything right would be so good, the characters are all there, it's just the plot has never clicked.

I really want Superman to be good and I'm not the sort of person who cares about Superman normally. But there's so much potential for it to go wrong.
Yeah, I'm guessing Iron Man 3 will be pretty awesome. The biggest weakness of the first two films is that Robert Downey Jr. had to carry the entire movie on his own since there was no strong villain to help prop the movie up. Now we get the fucking Mandarin. Yeah, I'm not too worried about that one.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I'm still pissed about At the Mountains of Madness.

I was REALLY looking forward to that.

PlasmaCow

Jul 18, 2009
I thought Pacific Rim was based off of the Monsterpocalypse board game licence? There's certainly A studio that bought the right to it about two/three years ago which'd fit in with Pacific Rim hitting cinemas soon.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Pacific Rim just sounds like the plot to Evangelion...

I don't see good things for Superman... As a character he has always been to much of a perfect boy scout, an uninteresting do gooder who's only internal conflict is I'm the only one of my kind. The interesting parts of Superman is the world he lives in, it's always full of real problems of the day and conflicts with over the top villains that for Superman to ponder what good can a punch to the face really do a the end of the day. In the expanded DC universe he's mainly just there as the guy to be wholly than thou and the go to for when you need someone punched in the face.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
WanderingFool said:
newwiseman said:
I think it basically is... only with 99.9% less mind fuckery.

Which I think stands as a plus.
This is the only one of Bob's that will actually surprise me if it DOESN"T bomb. This guy has only really blown my mind once: "Pan's Labyrinth".

Doctor Proctor

Omega-3 Man
Oct 21, 2008
Artemis923 said:

Yes, so am I... And so was Guillermo, that was a bit of a passion project for him.

However, if you still want to see At the Mountains of Madness, go see Pacific Rim! If it's a success, perhaps At the Mountains of Madness will get back on track again... That's basically how he got Hellboy made (Blade 2 gave him the clout to finally get the go ahead from the studio).

newwiseman said:
Seriously? You did not just say that... If anything, Pacific Rim is a Western reimagining of the Godzilla/Toho style films. There will be no emotionally vapid fantasy girl clone or emo boys doing unmentionable things over the comatose body of their fellow pilot in this. Just lots of hot giant robot on giant monster action!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So, Pacific Rim is essentially a live-action version of those old mecha anime like Mazinger Z?

I'm so going to watch that, just to see if it works.

And because giant robots. And because GladOS is in it. Also, giant robots.

Jan 12, 2012
newwiseman said:
I don't see good things for Superman... As a character he has always been to much of a perfect boy scout, an uninteresting do gooder who's only internal conflict is I'm the only one of my kind. The interesting parts of Superman is the world he lives in, it's always full of real problems of the day and conflicts with over the top villains that for Superman to ponder what good can a punch to the face really do a the end of the day. In the expanded DC universe he's mainly just there as the guy to be wholly than thou and the go to for when you need someone punched in the face.
I think that this one is going to do well, because it looks like they are finally trying to give us the last part of the "Great Superhero Trilogy" that we need.
Part 1: Set-up, the hero is introduced (The Christopher Reeve original)
Part 2: The hero rejects his power to be normal, then recovers it when it is clear they have a responsibility (Superman II)
Part 3: The hero goes evil; they have to deal with the fact that they are always separate from humanity, they will never be truly accepted, unless they make the world accept them. (Man of Steel)

Superman is the best person to explore this idea with, because everyone is familiar with him, and the character has the power to literally conquer the world, and is only held back by his moral code. I know the "gritty darkness" of this one seems off-putting to some people, but I think it's still the best chance we have to explore the idea.

Silverback91

Oct 5, 2010
Doctor Proctor said:
Artemis923 said:

Yes, so am I... And so was Guillermo, that was a bit of a passion project for him.

However, if you still want to see At the Mountains of Madness, go see Pacific Rim! If it's a success, perhaps At the Mountains of Madness will get back on track again... That's basically how he got Hellboy made (Blade 2 gave him the clout to finally get the go ahead from the studio).

newwiseman said:
Seriously? You did not just say that... If anything, Pacific Rim is a Western reimagining of the Godzilla/Toho style films. There will be no emotionally vapid fantasy girl clone or emo boys doing unmentionable things over the comatose body of their fellow pilot in this. Just lots of hot giant robot on giant monster action!
Eh, still VERY evangelion. Just with less whinging, wanking, and mindfuckery.... i hope.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Of that list, two I am most looking forward to: Iron Man 3, and Pacific Rim.

Iron Man 3.

I am completely okay with this. Iron Man is probably my favorite character to be developed and come out of the Avengers movie set. To bring him back into focus and get some more story and action out of him will be a joy.

Pacific Rim.

As mentioned: Giant Robots, and GladOS. Been playing a lot of Mechwarrior Online lately, and this just seems like a fun extension of that. Plus, Ellen McLain. Support the voice!

WiseBass

Apr 29, 2011
Pacific Rim looks like one of those movies that will flop in the US and do reasonably well overseas, only to be ultimately unprofitable for the studio-distributor. It's 100% Geek Crack, and that often does not end well if it's just that without a compelling story, characters, and humor.

I'm hoping that the new G.I. Joe isn't as awful as the first movie. That one was just terrible, and not in a "so bad it's good" way.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Gorfias said:
WanderingFool said:
newwiseman said:
I think it basically is... only with 99.9% less mind fuckery.

Which I think stands as a plus.
This is the only one of Bob's that will actually surprise me if it DOESN"T bomb. This guy has only really blown my mind once: "Pan's Labyrinth".
FUCK YEAH!!! I get to use this again...

I personally loved a numbe of Del Toro's movies. So Im looking foward to Pacific Rim.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Pacific Rim sounds awesome, this is the first I'd heard of it! Giant robots fighting interdimensional monsters? Hells... yes.

olza

Sep 18, 2011
Iron man three's a whole different kettle of fish to the avengers.
To me Iron man 3 seems like such a certain thing that I'm surprised it's not obvious to everyone.
But hey, I guess that my fanboy-like glee at Robert Downey Jr's iron man is somewhat clouding my judgement. Iron man was my favourite film of the 2000s (bar maybe LOTR) and Avengers, well, it was the Avengers, it was amazing, but it's like the multipack of little boxes of cereal that includes loads of awesome cereal Vs The big box of your favourite cereal.
They're both awesome in different ways.

And personally I'd take a bowl of Robert Downey junior any day of the week.
No homo.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
WanderingFool said:
Gorfias said:
FUCK YEAH!!! I get to use this again...

I personally loved a numbe of Del Toro's movies. So Im looking foward to Pacific Rim.
The clip is really cool! Love that movie. What other ones of Del Toro did you love? Hellboy had problems with me mostly in that I couldn't tell why certain things where happening. A gun doesn't work on someone, why keep shooting them? But it was probably his 2nd best for me. The Blade guy was pretty cool. I did not think him a poor man's Wolverine. But the 2nd one, among other issues, was way too uneven. Some genuinely scary stuff mixed with things I was embarrassed to have my kid seeing me watching. He did another non English speaking movie before Pan (or, chauvinistically, foreign movie!). I was kinda bored by it.

Am I missing something else?