Dark Void Release Date Rockets Into 2010

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Dark Void Release Date Rockets Into 2010

Yet another high profile fall release is being delayed into 2010, with Capcom announcing that AirTight Games' Dark Void is slipping into the first quarter of next year.

This is starting to get ridiculous [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93452-Holiday-Game-Delays-Are-They-Good-for-Gamers]. Following on the heels of BioShock 2, Red Steel 2, Bayonetta, Splinter Cell Conviction, and, I don't know, a whole lot of other games people were looking forward to playing this fall, Capcom has announced that they're pushing back the release of Dark Void from this September to the first quarter of 2010, meaning any time between January and March next year.

According to Capcom's Chris Kramer, the delay was decided upon "in order to get the game out of the crowded fall game season," which would make sense if half the games that were supposed to crowd this fall game season were still coming out this fall and not in, I don't know, Q1 2010.

The move may have had something to do specifically with the release of a rival heavy hitter, according to Kramer. "The move will be great for the game and for gamers: less competition in the market (curse you, Halo!), more time for polish," he told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/30/capcom-delays-dark-void-into-2010-avoids-crowded-fall-game-sea/]. Dark Void and Halo 3: ODST were previously scheduled for the same release date, which could have spelled bad news for a brand-new IP debuting on the same day as the latest and greatest from one of the biggest franchises in entertainment.

So yeah, maybe moving the release date was a smart thing to do on Capcom's part. But all the way to next year? That's just cruel.

We've dropped a line at AirTight Games to get their take on the delay - we'll let you know if we hear anything juicy.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I would've released it in December for Christmas. Gives 2-3 months after Halo's release and you get all the Christmas sales in, as well as avoiding all the Q1 2010 releases.

But what do I know? I'm just a cynicial Brit on the internet.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Keane Ng said:
This is starting to get ridiculous [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93452-Holiday-Game-Delays-Are-They-Good-for-Gamers].
Seriously? I think this a good thing. Too many games are comming out at Christmas. They need a little space inbetween them.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Amnestic said:
I would've released it in December for Christmas. Gives 2-3 months after Halo's release and you get all the Christmas sales in, as well as avoiding all the Q1 2010 releases.
I don't think that gives it enough time to permeate into people's minds through reviews and ads and word of mouth. You want to have enough time that people who have bought the game can recommend it and demand their friends get it, but not enough time that the fad has passed by the buying season.

Frankly, I wonder if this won't just start some weird cycle where the new IPs just get pushed further and further back as more high-profile sequels come out.

captain awesome 12

Dec 28, 2008
Amnestic said:

Well you've just become a cynical Brit on the internet that I agree with (and I'm American...). The crowded fall/winter season is noticeably not crowded any longer except for the behemoth of Modern Warfare 2, so releasing this towards Christmas would be the best move. Instead they've moved it out of the pot and into the fire, with the massive lineup in Q1.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Its not really surprising, developers have finally realized there's far too much focused on the months of September/October/November and are starting to spread out the releases a little.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
2010's going to be anawesome year for games then. If the world DOES end in 2012 then at least we won't be bored as it will take me until then to catch up on all the cool games.

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
the great delay continues. from january to march next year games will be delayed again because of crowded release schedules.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Hmm, I'm looking forward to this game. It looks quite fun to play. I hope I'm not getting my hopes up.
Also, doesn't delay usually mean they found problems with the game? If so, it's good that they do. Nobody wants a broken game.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I don't really mind them delaying these games, I'd rather have a finished game later than have an incomplete and buggy game for Christmas release.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
captain awesome 12 said:
Amnestic said:

Well you've just become a cynical Brit on the internet that I agree with (and I'm American...). The crowded fall/winter season is noticeably not crowded any longer except for the behemoth of Modern Warfare 2, so releasing this towards Christmas would be the best move. Instead they've moved it out of the pot and into the fire, with the massive lineup in Q1.
Well you've just become an American that agrees with a cynical Brit on the internet that I agree with (and I'm British).

Not that I blame any new IP for not wanting to compete with Halo or COD, so I'd release it December, just in time for christmas and far enough away from the heavy hitters.
Bonus: You can also pick up the people who are done with Halo and COD and are looking for a new game.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
At this rate the only holiday releases left are going to be CoD4:2 and Halo:Whatever. I wonder how they'll duke it out.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
... Yay! Dark Void! (I'll look past the Drake Uncharted/Prince of Persia voice actor)

I do agree with most guys here that suggest it should be released in December, but I don't really mind this delay.

I think they should release more games in June (not this game, games in general).
End of school-year ==> reward for getting good grades in school ==> summer jobs ==> 2 months of lower competition
Helloooo?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
I've never been so glad that my birthday is in January in my entire life. All the good games are coming out then! :p

And it's good to know that Dark Void is still coming out eventually; I was afraid that it might've been cancelled or delayed for a long time. A delay's always better than a cancellation.

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
Ok, I'm all in favor of games being delayed if the game itself actually needs some more time to be finished. (KOTOR 2 taught me that lesson very well.) But seriously? Who cares if the release window is crowded? Even if a lot of games that people want to buy come out at the same time, if yours is a game that they were ever going to buy in the first place, they will get it eventually. Besides, as the OP said, the statement that this holiday/fall is cluttered is becoming less and less true by the week.