Logitech Ditches Consoles for iPads

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Logitech Ditches Consoles for iPads

After a $180 million loss last quarter, Logitech retools for mobile.

After printing a massive red line at the end of its latest financial report, Logitech is removing products that don't fit its "current strategic direction", according to president and CEO Bracken P. Darrel. While Logitech identified many underperforming areas, the practical import for gamers is that console peripherals are being culled in favor of mobile devices.

If there was an accessory for a console, Logitech likely made it. Their line included everything from wireless controllers to racing wheels to every form of plastic instrument imaginable. In addition to the console accessories, Logitech will also be cutting various other underperforming products like speaker docks and remote controls. The good news is that while the PC market is dropping, Logitech plans to keep making the keyboards and mice that you know and love.

Of course, there's a little bit more to the story. Last year, [a href=http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Logitech+(LOGI)+Announces+$211M+Non-Cash+Goodwill+Impairment+Charge/8024803.html]Logitech acquired[/a] four video conferencing companies, which netted them a $211 million dollar non-cash goodwill impairment charge. This is a fancy way of saying that the new toys they bought weren't nearly as cool when they got them home. Even so, Logitech has read the tea leaves and sees more room to grow making iPad cases then it does Xbox controllers.

Source: [a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-25-logitech-to-discontinue-console-peripherals-to-focus-on-mobile]Eurogamer[/a]

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better. I liked my wireless Trackman well enough back when I bought it, but I've moved on and haven't looked back.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Retooling for mobile [http://www.wynlabs.com/], eh?

Logitech has served customers faithfully over the past years though.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
While PC ownership is in decline due to tablets and smartphones making basic functions like browsing the internet redundant, the word seems to be that gaming-PCs are continually on the rise.

Glad to hear Logitech will keep making PC gaming peripherals. After trying the junk made by other accessory makers like Razer, I was pleasantly surprised by the G-series of gaming devices. My partner and I stocked up on all of them and have found them superb.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
The only problem they had in the console market is the fact they made substandard stuff for outrageous prices. The PC stuff they made was top end though.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better. I liked my wireless Trackman well enough back when I bought it, but I've moved on and haven't looked back.
Their G27 racing wheel?

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better.
Logitech G600 would like a word with you.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
Good thing I got of my ass and bought that G27 last summer then.

Hate to see logitech pulling out of the market. Their stuff were decent quality for an affordable price just like Microsoft's... Say what you like about MS but the Sidewinder FF2 was the best joystick ever made.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I tried a few third party peripherals over the years (including a Logitech) but I found that it's first party or bust; meaning that if it isn't first party, it tends to bust after a few months.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting news, but truthfully I don't think the PC is in any long-term trouble. In general it's doubtful you'll ever be able to get the same kind of power, flexibility, and performance out of a tablet that you'll get out of a desktop made at the same time. As a result full fledged PC (and console) games are always going to trump cute little apps in what they can do, not to mention issues like screen size. Pads are great to work as a mobile television with digital shows/movies, or pocket secretary, but overall something that works with a PC instead of instead of one.

That said, I think the iPad's recent "success" is because the real computer geeks kind of put their foot down about upgrading their PC ever year or two to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars. There was a tug of war about that for a while and things "settled", causing those who sell PC components, Operating Systems, etc.. to be "viewing the situation with alarm" since they aren't able to force everyone to upgrade as soon as they churn out a new product. On the other hand since Tablets are new and hip, the people with the money are more willing to dish out the big bucks to upgrade their personal devices periodically much like they did with a PC. That will last until the newness fades and people get sick of it, app/product creators being forced to deal with older models to a greater extent if they want any kind of a consumer base. You already see a decet degree of resentment about Apple and how as soon as you buy something with "i" in the name it's already obselete as the next thing is about to roll out in the next few months.

I can understand what Logitech is doing in the short term, it's a good business move as long as people keep buying new tablets with great frequency, and each one requires a differant fit of case. That will last until the average consumer simply decides that enough is enough and slows down, and doesn't buy new tablets very often and thus does not rush out to buy new cases.

To be honest I kind of suspect Logitech might have a change of heart when it comes to console peripherals when the next generation of consoles comes out, and I suspect they will never stop producing PC accessories because the PC is always going to be out there in one form or another.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
think they need to calm the F down. Ipads and the like are a huge fad right now but soon it'll wear off when everyone of these apple morons finds out its nothing more then a glorified browser whooopy. But then again im a PC gamer and as long as they keep making the kick ass mice and keyboards i love im happy ^.^

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
I didn't even know they made console peripherals... Though I think jumping over to phones and pad peripherals is just as bad an idea. You kinda eliminate the ease of use and mobility when you gotta haul some doodad around for your iphone

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
cidbahamut said:
Scars Unseen said:
*shrug* I've never bought any of their console peripherals, and there's nothing they make for PC that someone else doesn't make better.
Logitech G600 would like a word with you.
As would the G400. Both great mice that, at least in my opinion, are the best in their fields.

Hopefully their wheels won't be pulled as they aren't console exclusive peripherals, I might need to get me one in the near future.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
plus, i think the mobile peripherals market is getting a bit bloated, judging by all this leftover crap we end up with anyway

the frequent hardware changes just make things worse

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'm just glad they're still making PC peripherals. They make some really damn good stuff. My Keyboard, mouse, trackpad, speakers, webcam, and game board are all Logitech. I used to have a Logitech headset and joystick, but I've since replaced them with higher end gear. I don't know how I managed without my G13 gamepad. I hope they get back on track soon.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
They better keep making PC peripherals. It's only a short time before the tablet market is completely saturated and the average Joe realizes that he just spent more on a tablet, a case that only fits that tablet, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and whatever else salesmen try pushing with the purchase of a new tablet all combined compared to a decent laptop and bag that can fit many laptops.
Plus, one reason why they're suffering is there are so few enthusiasts that buy these flight sticks and racing wheels. They take good care of their stuff so it will last, and Logitech stuff is usually high quality. The regular controller market hit a near first party only state with xbox's proprietary wireless signaling, and the wiimotes getting plastic snap in cases that fit the official wii remote. Almost no wii owner is going to buy specialty controllers with the way they advertised holding a wiimote like a steering wheel.
I'm happy with my keyboard, trackball, and pc speakers made by them. So as long as they don't make a big mistake and have to cut their pc gaming lines, I'll stay happy.