New BioShock Video Fills Infinite's History Gaps

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
New BioShock Video Fills Infinite's History Gaps

Get an 80s-flavored taste of BioShock history.

BioShock Infinite does something that the previous BioShock titles didn't really attempt to do: Rewrite the history of the United States. Unlike Rapture which existed below the waves, almost entirely separated from the events of the day, the floating city of Columbia interacted with the U.S. and other countries in the late 1800s and early 1900s. To help flesh out the world as we approach the game's release, developer Irrational Games has released a short mockumentary video.

The brief clip details the first showing of Columbia and its role in a few important historical events. The narration and video quality are straight out of a late 80s educational film, which is actually quite charming. You'll even get a taste of some gritty audio featuring Zachary Comstock, Columbia's "prophet."

It's unclear whether this is just the first in a series of similar videos, or if this is simply a one-off teaser. I, for one, wouldn't mind watching a full-length documentary feature on Columbia, but then again, I liked The Blair Witch Project, so my taste in fake documentaries is already questionable.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I hope this does become a series of videos. This is a neat idea and a fun way to keep us hyped until the game comes out.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Oh this has to be a series of videos. It just has to be, cause seriously that's awesome.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
MikeWehner said:
I, for one, wouldn't mind watching a full-length documentary feature on Columbia, but then again, I liked The Blair Witch Project, so my taste in fake documentaries is already questionable.
But... that was a good movie! D:

OT: This a creative way to hype up the game. I like it. Though, it does have some suggestive ideas and possible spoilers within it, like...
... saying that no one knows where Columbia went and is missing to this day. Makes me think it possibly landed in the sea which became the basis for Rapture.
I'm just theorizing, though. Who knows what it really means?

Also, switch to 240p for the full 80s experience!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Funfact: Comstock [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Comstock] was a real person (although his name was Anthony, not Zachary), and was the namesake of the Comstock law [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comstock_Law].

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
It seems to me that based on the final line it IS definately the start of a series of teaser videos.
Really great stuff there :) Kind of annoyed at myself now for not owning one of those Raven jars, anyone know of a way to still get one?

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
War Penguin said:
MikeWehner said:
I, for one, wouldn't mind watching a full-length documentary feature on Columbia, but then again, I liked The Blair Witch Project, so my taste in fake documentaries is already questionable.

OT: This a creative way to hype up the game. I like it. Though, it does have some suggestive ideas and possible spoilers within it, like...
... saying that no one knows where Columbia went and is missing to this day. Makes me think it possibly landed in the sea which became the basis for Rapture.

MY GOD! Sadly i believe i've read otherwise on why the city is missing but i REALLY REALLY wish what you just specualted was true!!! That would make for an unbelievable suprise ending and connection to the main game.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
War Penguin said:
MikeWehner said:
When exactly did it become so trendy to hate on Blair Witch Project? It was the indie horror darling when it was out, then one day everyone decided all at once it sucked...

...decided WITHOUT asking me, I might add

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That was pretty much, also what do they got against China (yes I know why they attacked)? Those jerks.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
They have some very talented people working for them. I loved that! Already watched it three times.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Zombie_Moogle said:
War Penguin said:
MikeWehner said:
When exactly did it become so trendy to hate on Blair Witch Project? It was the indie horror darling when it was out, then one day everyone decided all at once it sucked...

Same here! What the *****?! Is it because of Blair Witch 2? Did they lump them both together [small](which would be fucking heresy I might add!)[/small]? Is it because of the game Slender that being trapped in the woods with an unknown presence following you has made people tired of that cliche and considers it the birth of that "flavor of the month" game? What is it, damn it?!
cricket chirps said:
War Penguin said:
MikeWehner said:

MY GOD! Sadly i believe i've read otherwise on why the city is missing but i REALLY REALLY wish what you just specualted was true!!! That would make for an unbelievable suprise ending and connection to the main game.
Where have you read that? I cannot imagine that not being the case. It just makes too much sense!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Considering this game has been in development for so long, they need to release more awesome stuff like this to keep us hyped for the game. 2 Months to go is it? I don't want to wait any god damn longer!

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
War Penguin said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
War Penguin said:
MikeWehner said:

Same here! What the *****?! Is it because of Blair Witch 2? Did they lump them both together [small](which would be fucking heresy I might add!)[/small]? Is it because of the game Slender that being trapped in the woods with an unknown presence following you has made people tired of that cliche and considers it the birth of that "flavor of the month" game? What is it, damn it?!
cricket chirps said:
War Penguin said:
MikeWehner said:

Where have you read that? I cannot imagine that not being the case. It just makes too much sense!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rapture was build by Ryan in the 30's, 40's. For one, the skyscraper architecture of Rapture is very different from the Colombia architecture.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Zombie_Moogle said:
War Penguin said:
MikeWehner said:

Agreed. It was the eventual over-saturation of found footage films spawned BY BWP's success that ended up turning the vast majority against it.

That and people were too proud to admit that they were fooled by the initial marketing of that film, so backlashed against their own gullibility.

I never backlashed, and never hated that film because of things that came after. That movie scared the twice-bitten piss-tits off me when i first saw it. It helped with the consumption of sticky green stuff, and having got hold of an advance release bootleg of it so it hadn't been all blown out of the water that it was all just a faked-footage film concept. But goddammit. It worked.

OT - i want more of these videos. Awesome and engaging.