Neverwinter Founder's Packs Cost Up To $200

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Neverwinter Founder's Packs Cost Up To $200

Being a Founder will net exclusive items and beta access.

Even though free-to-play games are still a relatively new concept, the accepted pricing structure has already changed dramatically. Instead of offering cheap, piecemeal transactions, some developers have decided to Founder's Pack for $20, $60, or $200 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121616-Marvel-Heroes-Dev-Defends-Pricing].

The Founder's Packs come in three flavors: the Neverwinter Starter Kit ($20), the Guardian of Neverwinter Pack ($60), and the Hero of the North Founder's Pack ($200). While the Starter Kit includes only a few in-game items and experience boosts, the two more expensive ones include everything from exclusive mounts to animal companions to VIP Weekend Beta access. Furthermore, the game's website insists that these packs offer value well in excess of their asking prices: up to $549 for the Hero of the North Pack.

If you're planning to spend a lot of time in Neverwinter and can't live with the thought of missing out on the beta test, these packs could very well prove worth the money. On the other hand, while sinking up to $60 into an unproven game is standard consumer behavior at this point, dropping $200 seems like a risky proposition. At times like this, it's best to make use of a Foresight [http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Foresight] spell.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I think I can wait on this one. As cool as the spider mount looks, I don't think I'm willing to drop $200 on a f2p game before I've even had a chance to play it.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I would say it is worth while if the mount can be obtained on every character for the life of the game and is of superior quality to mounts that can be acquired easily at low levels.

Still, it's a lot of money to drop on a game from a studio who's track record with MMOs is dodgy at best. I adore Champions Online, but it's a long way off from really being a great MMO mostly due to the painful lack of content throughout the entire game.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Was going to buy the 60 bucks for nostalgia (NWN and stuff), but after seeing the vid I think I pass.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Well, I went straight over and dropped £124 plus DST on that. Thanks Escapist. I'm eating peanut butter on shoe leather for the next couple of weeks.

And I couldn't be happier! Hahaha.

I wasn't disappointed by MWO foundership, so I've got some trust in me ripe for the crushing. Heh.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Just curious, as it is the only truly viable subscription based MMO how much WOW would $200 get you?

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
Wait?! "The Beta that you want to get into" They are remaking Neverwinter Nights?! Oh... no... it's the knockoff version.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This looked enticing, but then I remembered all of the angry "Grandmasters" for The Secret World who dropped a bunch of money up front on faith. It's an MMO, of a relatively obscure (today) IP, that won't necessarily please NWN fans. I'd hate to drop $200 and have empty servers and sinking ships a few months down the line.

Apr 5, 2008
I don't remember when in the development cycle Neverwinter went to an always-online type MMO deal. Anyway, as the first proper D&D CRPG in years, I'm looking forward to having fun with it. I hope it can live up to it's namesake(s). I do like the Forgotten Realms and am sad that game studios left D20 roleplay systems for dust.

I'll check out the different packs, will prob buy one. Don't really care about the money if I perceive enough value. I bought Secret World GM pack and SWTOR Coll. Eds after all. I'd probably buy currency too if I was invested enough in any of them "reap the benefits" as it were.

I like having things that make the early part of the game easier/smoother, unique things that aren't available after release and which last till endgame, stuff like that. Don't care much for cosmetic shit or non-combat pets though, particularly when they don't suit different character concepts.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Is it just me or are did they go a little overboard on the whole wow look alike thing?

octafish said:
Just curious, as it is the only truly viable subscription based MMO how much WOW would $200 get you?
About 13 and a half months if you only count subscriptions so that does not include any game/expansion purchases or their dozens of micro transactions.

llyrnion

Feb 16, 2011
As someone who's been disappointed by Turbine's lack of commitment in cleaning DDO's too-numerous-to-mention bugs, I'm interested in trying this out. But there's no way I'm going to pay upfront, not even 20 USDs. It's f2p, I'll try it out. Then, if I like it, I'll gladly pay.

I just wish someone would create an MMO without all those idiotic time-wasters, like having to run all over the place to get a quest, or forcing you to go back and return if you go to a quest and forgot to pick it up, or forcing you to run here to buy spell components and run there to buy ammunition, etc, etc. An MMO without this would start with the right foot on the path to my wallet.

Apr 5, 2008
Is anyone buying one of the packs? I can't decide. If it's for a lack of funds, which would you buy if not for the lack? Do you plan to play it with or without one of the founder packs?

Also, I can't tell...does each pack include those below it? Does it include the final game?

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
KingsGambit said:
Also, I can't tell...does each pack include those below it? Does it include the final game?
Dude, the final game's free-to-play. Of course all the packages "include" the final game.

And although I'm too apathetic to actually check, I'd say it's a virtual certainty that each package includes the one before it. Because when you're trying to convince people to drop $200 on an unreleased, free-to-play game, the last thing you do is skimp on what the package contains.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
octafish said:
the game and the sub fees i'd think, not sure what all is in the shop they have though, so who knows

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
llyrnion said:
I just wish someone would create an MMO without all those idiotic time-wasters, like having to run all over the place to get a quest, or forcing you to go back and return if you go to a quest and forgot to pick it up, or forcing you to run here to buy spell components and run there to buy ammunition, etc, etc. An MMO without this would start with the right foot on the path to my wallet.
Errr... did you just say "I wish more games were like Guild Wars 2" in the most roundabout way imaginable?