Hasbro Targets Adults With New Star Wars Toys

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Hasbro Targets Adults With New Star Wars Toys

Remember: the Star Wars: The Black Series toys aren't dolls; they're collectibles.

One of the difficult steps on a nerd's road to adulthood is when his or her toys cease to be playthings and become display pieces instead. When the hours of lightsaber fights, space battles, and daring rescues give way to Obi-Wan and Luke standing regally side-by-side on display stands, it's easy to feel that some of the magic is gone. Still, growing up has its advantages: Having your own money means you can take part in the growing adult collector's market. Hasbro, producer of many, many, many Star Wars toys [http://www.rebelscum.com/actionfigures.asp], is launching a 6" action figure line called The Black Series specifically for grown-up fans of the classic sci-fi franchise.

Anyone who has had children, been a child, or set foot in a toy store in the last twenty years or so is probably at least marginally familiar with the 3 ¾" Star Wars toy line. While the figure selection covers almost every character imaginable from the movies and TV shows (with a few from comics and books for good measure), they're made to withstand play rather than to look good on a shelf. Not so with Black: these 6" figures will feature detailed sculpts and articulation well in excess of their smaller brethren. Of course, for parents who want to share with their kids, the toys will be able to weather a little roughness. "We consider them the best figures that Hasbro's ever produced for Star Wars that meets (sic) the sensibilities of romancing the character as well as the playability and poseability that fans really appreciate," says Derryl DePriest, a vice president at Hasbro.

The first wave will debut in August for about $20 a pop, and include four iconic characters: Luke Skywalker in his X-Wing garb, astromech droid R2-D2, taciturn villain Darth Maul, and the easily misled Sandtrooper. Future waves will again focus primarily on characters from the original trilogy, but will sprinkle in some prequel personalities here and there for good measure.

"Our focus here is the adult collector," explains DePriest. "We know they have their own generation of youngsters they like to share the adventure with." Even if you don't have any Padawans of your own, the Black series seems like a good compromise between the cheap 3 ¾" toys and some of the most expensive Star Wars memorabilia [http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=1001161&ref=home_new] out there.

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/01/29/hasbro-star-wars-black-series-action-figure-toys/1872035/]

Image: Hasbro [http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/en_US/]

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Doesn't the sheer fact that these were made to be collectible make them not worth much to collectors?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Agayek said:
Doesn't the sheer fact that these were made to be collectible make them not worth much to collectors?
Pretty much my thoughts, unless they are producing them in limited numbers it seems like it's going to be a wasted effort.

Also to be honest I'm a bit surprised Star Wars is so late to the party, the whole collecible figures for adults schtick has been around almost forever, with them appearing for nearly everything you can think of. Mcfarlane Toys seemed to be doing a pretty good business with this for a while in paticular.

That said, I suppose the timing could be worse, love or hate the choice, the selection of JJ Abrams to helm the new Star Wars movies along with the confirmation they are coming has revived a degree of interest. While I haven't heard much in the way of official confirmation, apparently this coincided with a surge of activitiy in ToR as well as people are getting Star Wars on the brain (this coming from chatter in MMOs I've been playing).

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I don't care if they are or are not "collectables", as a fan since the first movie (it was literally the first movie I saw in the theater as a kid), I'm buying these (especially the troopers).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
You get Jaina, Tenel Ka, Mara Jade, and Tahiri in that lineup and I'm sold. Better hurry up though, because I already got Kotobukiya's Jaina and Mara Jade is supposedly next. Otherwise, I think I'll pass. I'm more into the ships anyway. Who knows though? Maybe they'll come out with a character that makes me super excited.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
I don't get the logic that making it bigger somehow makes it more for adults, then again my collection of 300 star wars figures might make me a bit biased

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
Mmm. Gonna see if I can get me a Lambda shuttle to throw off the roof cherish forever. I loved their Micro Machines line.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Marshall Honorof said:
One of the difficult steps on a nerd's road to adulthood is when his or her toys cease to be playthings and become display pieces instead.
Sad but true, arranging the figures into the best looking layout is still fun. Arranging my Halo statuettes into a cool looking battle scene isn't playing at all :p Also,

Agayek said:
Depends on the collector and the reasons for creating the collection. If the collector likes rare pieces, either because they see them as a potential investment or they like the more exclusive items they are probably not to interested in items with high production numbers. Another collector might not be overly bothered about how exclusive it is or how far its value would increase and might simply collect certain items like fighter pilot figures from famous science fiction franchises or items from a certain IP. Yet another collector might not have much money so they would collect cheaper items and occasionally augment the collection with choice high quality item that's good value

There are almost as many reasons people collect and how they collect as there are collectibles.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
Remember: the Star Wars: The Black Series toys aren't dolls; they're collectibles.
I'm kinda reminded of this:

So fans of the original trilogy are adults now; it's a perfect time to flog even more merchandise!

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
I collect R2-D2's of all kinds. Not avidly, but if I see an affordable and somewhat attractive one, into my shopping bag it goes. Apart from that, the only toys worth blowing money on, are Lego Star Wars.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
My first thought was NOT action figures.

Or collectibles.
I have a feeling we had the same thing in mind.

Though I suppose collectible toys that provide that kind of action would appeal to a certain audience. An untapped market, if you will.

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
I wonder what stores will be carrying them? I like the price point too; I used to collect action figures when I was in high school (stopped due to the lack of quality in many figures over the years and have also moved onto other things as well). If they will include a Princess Leia figure in her bounty hunter outfit or her Hoth costume (she's always in that slave outfit, so over and done with it), I'll diffidently pick it up (got the doll now for the action figure).

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
You got the title wrong:

Hasbro targets kids that used to collect Star Wars toys but have grown up.

Less catchy, more accurate. Had a long day.