U.S. Senator Says Videogames Are Worse Than Guns

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.S. Senator Says Videogames Are Worse Than Guns

U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander claims that videogames pose a greater threat to American society than guns.

If you ever wondered why so many high-level discussions about gun violence in the U.S. seem to end up talking about videogames, here's a brief snippet of insight courtesy of MSNBC. When asked by The Daily Rundown host Chuck Todd about support for a bill requiring universal background checks on gun buyers, Senator Alexander made a remarkable and completely unrelated statement about the dangers of games.

"I think videogames [sic] is a bigger problem than guns, because videogames affect people," he said. "But the First Amendment limits what we can do about videogames and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns."

There's really not much more to say; the man's words speak for themselves. He clearly has an agenda that he's determined to push, but the implication that guns don't affect people, or that an entertainment medium is somehow more dangerous than unfettered access to semi-automatic rifles, is beyond outrageous. It's not necessarily surprising, however; as Credo Action [http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3933424/video-games-a-bigger-problem-than-guns-says-us-senator-lamar-alexander] lists Alexander as one of the National Rifle Association's "A team" of senators that offers "unqualified support" to the NRA.

Source: Daily Kos [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/30/1183287/-U-S-Senator-Lamar-Alexander-Guns-don-t-kill-people-video-games-do]

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
He's right though, those edges of the discs, they can kill a man!
Not to mention the lethal side effects of the plastic wrapper.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Which part of the US Constitution protects Freedom of Stupidity? There must be one because I'm not sure how someone this dumb could rise to the position of a Senator. Oh, he's a Republican.

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
My my my, a little late to the blame game party aren't we? Well we have a few "who are you trying to kid" scapegoat gift bags, but please let the door hit you on the way out.

*sigh* this is getting repetitive.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
"I think videogames [sic] is a bigger problem than guns, because videogames affect people,"
And guns don't? I don't even hate guns, but the fact that he's are saying that video games somehow go further to perpetuate violence than the thing was originally invented to cause harm shows that this man is a disrespectful ****.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
On be hath of the American people I apologize that this man was elected to a position of power where he can make his erroneous voice be heard.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

I may be ever so slightly biased here, but this may be one of the stupidest things I've heard.

DVS BSTrD said:
Okay let's try an experiment: Who would you be more likely to hand over your money to?
Someone pointing a videogame at you, or someone pointing a gun at you?
That depends. Was I planning on purchasing the game at the time? =P

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
In summation: elected official in love with guns points fingers at other topics to keep the heat off of the guns, and begrudgingly points to the first amendment as some kind of annoying block that prevents him from the censorship he wants. Very classy.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
Nice response from Sen. Lamar "Herp-a-Derp" Alexander.

I know! Let's require background checks for video games but not for guns, that should solve all the problems. You know what also affects people: anything that makes us think. Let's ban all of that. Leave TV though. Thankfully we don't have to use any dangerous thinking to watch that.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
I'm American. And I apologize for nothing. This man is clearly insane.

-This message has been indorsed by the NAACP-

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
In related news, a man walked into a crowded mall and really annoyed the shit out of like ten people when he started whipping video game discs at them. One man was heard to say, 'Dude hit me in the side of the head, I dropped my frappucino!" Lawyers were on hand to comfort the abused crowd and reports say the litigation will total in the billions of dollars when all is said and done.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Gee, an old guy who likes the NRA has something ridiculous to say about videogames?

Well stop the fuckin' presses.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This just isn't going to go away until they either ban something or something worse happens to take the public's mind off of gun control, is it? I mean dammit, I thought we were past this thing of video games being the root of all evil? I wonder how long that old fuck has had his seat on capitol hill, because it's people like that who are prime cases for term limits on senators and representatives.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
How did I guess that this dude was a Republican just based on the title?

OT: Well, you're entitled to your own stupidity, Senator Alexander. How about we compare the number of deaths caused by guns to the number of REAL-WORLD deaths caused by games? Let the statistics speak the truth!