PlayStation Store Drops the Dime On Dead Space 3 Price List

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PlayStation Store Drops the Dime On Dead Space 3 Price List

The Dead Space 3 microtransaction price list also reveals that the game will make use of an Online Pass that will cost pre-owned buyers an extra ten bucks.

Electronic Arts revealed last week, to much wailing and gnashing of teeth, that Dead Space 3 will offer optional microtransactions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121640-EA-Brings-Microtransactions-to-Dead-Space-3], allowing players with more money than time to get all the goodies without all the dicking around. But how much will a "Bot Pesonality Pack" cost? Or a "Witness the Truth Pack?" Or just a simple, straightforward resource pack? Thanks to the latest PlayStation Store update, now we know.

Behold!

Bot Capacity Upgrade $4.99
Bot Personality Pack $4.99
First Contact Pack Free
Marauder Pack $4.99
Sharpshooter Pack $4.99
Tundra Recon Pack $4.99
Witness the Truth Pack $4.99
Bot Accelerator $4.99
Epic Weapon & Resource Pack $2.99
Online Pass $9.99
Ultra Weapon & Resource Pack $1.99
Resource Pack $0.99

In a recent blog post [http://www.deadspace.com/news/article/dev-blog-executive-producer-steve-papoutsis], Dead Space 3 Executive Producer Steve Papoutsis described the resource packs as a "convenience" for players looking for an immediate boost. "DS3 isn't designed to require Resource Packs, but they're an option that's available should you decide to use it," he wrote. "The choice is yours." The price list also reveals that EA is continuing its practice of requiring online passes for second-hand copies of the game.

So what do you think: fair prices for optional "conveniences," or another unscrupulous cash grab by the Evil Empire? Like it or not, Dead Space 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-3-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SWVIQ/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359580433&sr=8-1&keywords=Dead+Space+3] comes out on February 5 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/dead-space-3-microtransaction-prices-revealed-243522.phtml]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Online pass?

Welp, there's another game I'm NOT going to by...
Until it hits around 20USD.
:p

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
that's $50 total, alright.

WHAT. IS. THAT. THING.
This abomination shouldn't even exist.
aaaargh...
*ahem*
But seriously, it's time for me to be in denial about the state of the gaming industry.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
Wait, so let me get this straight.

If you buy the game second hand, in order to unlock the capacity to pay for extra DLC and microtransactiony stuff, you have to spend ten dollars on an online pass. So basically, they're saying that you've got to pay them money, so that you can pay them more money.

On one hand, that borders on the downright outrageous. On the other, I can kind of appreciate the fact that they're now being honest enough to basically say flat-out to their customers; 'yeah, you're basically walking wallets to us.'

Apr 28, 2008
For those that want to know, the online pass is only for the co-op campaign. So it shouldn't be a problem since so many people seem to not care for the co-op in this game.

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
i think Jim on his weekly video has said everything there is to say about this already. so im just going to add: fuck off EA, because of this im done with dead space

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Would not bother me at all if I bought the game. As long as the goodies are available through normal play, who cares?
The online pass is a different kind of beast though. If they were to use servers one could make a point about paying for that. Makes you wonder, though, what the hell we pay MS (XBL) for if the games have their own pay to play online policies now.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
And this is precisely why I am going to watch a Let's Play or walkthrough of the game instead of buying it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
What's weird is I feel that this type of system should be used in place of an Online Pass, not in addition to. But meh, I don't know why anyone would want to use these packs, it's idiotic. I kind of understand these things on certain games. If you have a game that is going to represent a substantial amount of time, packs like this can be fun. Like the beginning weapon and armor packs in Kingdoms of Amalur or even the weapon packs in Darksiders 2. But this game will be probably about an 8 hour experience coupled with the fact that having more powerful weapons out of the gate will make it a worse experience. EA is just scrambling for money from every possible angle, it's really sad.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
So what do you think: "fair" prices for optional "conveniences," or another unscrupulous cash grab by the Evil Empire?
Personally, I see this as just another show of a lack of confidence EA has in this IP. I think they're just trying to make more money off fewer people; even they have to see that they're alienating potential buyers from the fans of the series with this. Then again EA has always been a beast to turn any property to generic, safe slime for the masses.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
So... $40 of day one DLC? That is a whole new low. And you thought a single $10 addon for Mass Effect 3 was a problem.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Colonel Mustard said:

If you buy the game second hand, in order to unlock the capacity to pay for extra DLC and microtransactiony stuff, you have to spend ten dollars on an online pass. So basically, they're saying that you've got to pay them money, so that you can pay them more money.

On one hand, that borders on the downright outrageous. On the other, I can kind of appreciate the fact that they're now being honest enough to basically say flat-out to their customers; 'yeah, you're basically walking wallets to us.'
I came here to say this ^

Impressive corporate honesty, really :)

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Times like this make me wish I has a convinet imagine to simply display my rage laying around in my files. Can anyone else provide one?

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
kajinking said:
Times like this make me wish I has a convinet imagine to simply display my rage laying around in my files. Can anyone else provide one?
Does this work?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
dakkster said:
kajinking said:
Does this work?

Looks more like disgust than rage so it fits even better. Nice work!

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
I think dlc like this is actually a good idea. It doesnt actually effect anybody who doesnt buy it but it gives the option for people who do want it.

Colonel Mustard said:

You dont need an online pass to buy the dlc. You only need the online pass to play online co-op.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
dakkster said:
kajinking said:
Does this work?

Thank you very much. I shall now proceed to use this image as a quick fix replacement for any long winded rage and disgust that boils in my bosom.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
They did this for Dead Space 1, I am not sure how this is any different, or why nobody cared back then. You could get all of the weapons with new skins and upgrades if you paid for them. Mass Effect 2 also did it with weapons packs and people didn't seem to care then either.

As long as they don't stop you from being able to get the same weapons/upgrades in the game through normal means, then I can't see why anybody would disagree with this.

The appalling prices aside that is.

Andy Chalk said:
Like it or not, Dead Space 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-3-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SWVIQ/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359580433&sr=8-1&keywords=Dead+Space+3] comes out on February 5 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.
In America. It's February 8th in Europe.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Guys. I'm one of the people who bought the firepower pack in Mass Effect 2 because I loved the game and had some points lying around.

This is all my fault. I'm sorry.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
Excluding the Online Pass, these are cheats. Except the code you insert is your credit card number.