257: The Sunny Side of the Zombiepocalypse

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The Sunny Side of the Zombiepocalypse

Blending genre elements from many sources, PopCap's Plants vs. Zombies succeeds because its compelling art style unifies it under the company's "casual" banner. Russ Pitts spoke to Lead Artist Rich Werner and asked him how they pulled it off.

Read Full Article

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Would you believe I still haven't played this game? I've always wanted to but just haven't yet. Makes me ashamed to call myself an Escapist. Great article by the way.

Kingtrue

Jul 30, 2009
I have played the demo of PlantsvsZombies and heart-warmingly want it since. Its quite something, its original in nearly every way possible, and is definately worth more than the $9.99 they offer it for you.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
Great arty Russ, but you completely sidestepped what I see as one of the greater reasons to PvZ's success, namely The Song.

It would have been enough that the game is just the right level of addictive, cartoony but not childish, and simplistic yet challenging. There is enough to the game all on its own that sells itself well. But most of that requires the gamer to actually buy or try the game before they are hooked. The music video preview however, sold people on PvZ long before they could download the demo. Lets face it, the song roots itself in your brain so deep you end up singing it for days, and the video portion showed just enough to make even the most hardcore gamer interested.

The music video did more to sell the game than anything else, at least I think so.
All true, but this is the Art and Animation issue, so...the song is a wee bit out of place, no?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
not only is it a great game but they also priced it just right, at 10 bucks they priced it so that people would impulse buy it just from hearing from a friend that it was good

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
I feel bad about having downloaded this game for free. As soon as I have enough money to spare, I'm buying it. Absolutely fantastic.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
AvsJoe said:
Would you believe I still haven't played this game? I've always wanted to but just haven't yet. Makes me ashamed to call myself an Escapist. Great article by the way.
I have played the demo, but for some reason I never got around to buying it. Then again, I have a long list of games I still have to buy and/or finish. It breaks my heart, but Plants vs. Zombies will have to wait its turn.

Apr 28, 2008
Oh man, I love this game. Its just so damn adorable, and very fun to play. Plus the low price is a big win.

As well as the insanely cute song.

Isn't that just the cutest dang thing you've ever seen?

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
AvsJoe said:
Would you believe I still haven't played this game?
*tuts* :)

Go buy it - it's only £7 on Steam...or just get the demo. It's an awesome game.

Yeah I love PvZ. the ending song is cool as well.

Irridium said:
Isn't that just the cutest dang thing you've ever seen?
Yes. It most certainly is. The "Me power.." line is even cuter again.

I love this game....

ScottocS

Mar 27, 2009
Absolutely adored this game... bought the moment it was available on steam. :)

Very good review there, but I found one thing troubling. The mention of the Walnut's "crying" being removed before the final release? They do that when they get eaten enough. Was a major selling point for most people that watched me play it. ;P

Raneman

May 29, 2010
Hopefully the sequel won't make me play through the campaign twice to get a secret zombie.

Forsooth and Pi

Apr 23, 2008
ScottocS said:
Absolutely adored this game... bought the moment it was available on steam. :)

Very good review there, but I found one thing troubling. The mention of the Walnut's "crying" being removed before the final release? They do that when they get eaten enough. Was a major selling point for most people that watched me play it. ;P
I was a little confused about that point too, before I realized that it was the Tall-nut that cries, not the Wall-nut. So I'm guessing that the Wall-nut used to have a crying animation too but they removed it.

I got PvZ about a month ago after seeing a friend play it (I got it during finals which probably wasn't a smart idea) and I really loved it. Not only is the gameplay terrific, the music catchy, and the characters cute and memorable, but the game slowly threw in new items and features to keep you interested; I never wanted to stop playing because I always wanted to see what the next plant did. I am eagerly awaiting PvZ 2 and will certainly get it the day of its release.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I never played PvZ on my PC, but got it for my iPhone and it creates a massive black hole that absorbs me for on hour or 2 at a time.

Or until my battery is dead!